Using Axe-Fx thru Mackie Thump

slinky005

Power User
I've had the Axe going on 2 years and I've always used IEMs.
Just joined a band where I need to have the Axe blowing into the room and finances are really tight so I tried using my Mackie Thump (12").
Testing it out it at home sounded ok, had to EQ my main patch for this band a lot and I thought - it's just rehearsal it will do.
The guys in the band are Freaking Out over my sound. I get compliments every rehearsal.
So you don't need to spend alot of cash to get the Axe to sound good in the room.
But I would if I had it.

In my experience, whether tube amp or axe, tones set up at lower volume always need tweaking when playing at gig/rehearsal volumes. I haven't tried the Thump 12", but I did take my XL to a music shop that had the Mackie Thump 15" on clearance for a killer deal. To me, even with heavy patch/global EQ, the Thump 15" was super focused on the bass and highs. Just didn't work well for me so I passed. If I was a DJ I would have bought it though because they were only $225. My guess is that the 12" wouldn't be nearly as bass heavy. Great powered speakers for the price for sure, just the 15" didn't work for me.

I agree, the AFX sounds good through pretty much everything and doubly agree that if you can afford it get better as the AFX deserves the best sound reproduction system you can afford.

Until recently, I was using a Roland GR-55 for a modeler. I used a Roland drum monitoring system with it and was happy with the setup for what it was. Then I purchased the AFX and even though the drum monitor worked, I felt the AFX sounded so good that it deserved a sound system that could match it.

Eargasms aside, having a high quality sounds system helps reduce frustrations with trying to eq your sound

I used a Mackie Thump for about a year. I thought it sounded very good (without the usual "for the price" apologetic disclaimer). To get notably better from there IMO you'd have to go well up the ladder. My Mackie DLM8 is an upgrade but still pales next to the CLR stuff. I think that's about where you'd have to go to raise even more eyebrows. I'd have a CLR if I played gigs like that, but I usually run direct. The DLM8 covers the few occasional gigs outside of my church and it's very small and light.

I tested the the thump. But the 15' speaker just had too much low end for my tastes. I tested the Qsc and the EV and too me for the money the EV sounded just as good as the Qsc. At $399 you can't beat the price point and I have a guy in my band who is really pickey and he loves the way my rig sounds. To the point that he brags about it to other guys he plays with.

I often go straight into a JBL615 at practice space, Usually just going to what they call monitoring eq mode. Makes up for the changes I would other wise need to make. Increasing the highs and rolling back the lows. As for live I have a preset for my digital mixer that drops the lows a little bit, without me having to play with the global eq on the axe or changing presets around.

I used to use 2 of the original Mackie 15" Thump TH-15A cabs and they sounded great. They are super light too. Musicians Friend had them for $468 for a pair with stands and free shipping. I replaced them with a pair of Yamaha DXR12 cabs but still use my Thumps as monitors, so I don't have to rely on the venues monitors. I use one for Bass only and my bassist uses the other for Guitar only. We use the onboard EQ to lower the low end to get them a little louder.

I have used the thumps also and they performed well. I do not spend tons of time in search of the perfect stage monitor, the audience could care less, so as long as it works use it!!! I personally just use the house wedges if the gig is large enough to have them. why carry all the gear? aint this the whole reason to use a modeler? I could plug the axe in to one of the gorilla amps that they want to model on another post LOL!! and it would rock(I would put money on that)

I have used the thumps also and they performed well. I do not spend tons of time in search of the perfect stage monitor, the audience could care less, so as long as it works use it!!! I personally just use the house wedges if the gig is large enough to have them. why carry all the gear? aint this the whole reason to use a modeler? I could plug the axe in to one of the gorilla amps that they want to model on another post LOL!! and it would rock(I would put money on that)
I agree except venues rarely have enough monitor mixes so I can have my own mix so the thump will be thumping along to those gigs.

In my experience, whether tube amp or axe, tones set up at lower volume always need tweaking when playing at gig/rehearsal volumes. I haven't tried the Thump 12", but I did take my XL to a music shop that had the Mackie Thump 15" on clearance for a killer deal. To me, even with heavy patch/global EQ, the Thump 15" was super focused on the bass and highs. Just didn't work well for me so I passed. If I was a DJ I would have bought it though because they were only $225. My guess is that the 12" wouldn't be nearly as bass heavy. Great powered speakers for the price for sure, just the 15" didn't work for me.

I agree, I had to play around with the built in EQ on my 15" Thump TH-15A cabs. I had the 2 Thumps for a PA but then hurt my back and couldn't move my Marshall 1960AV cab and poweramp anymore and needed to find a way to lighten my rig, so I decided to try out FRFR with my Thumps. It was like a whole new world of guitar tones using IR's and I was hooked.

The price you saw for the Thumps was probably for the original TH-15A Thumps like I have bc they all went drastically on sale when the new Thumps came out. I went to try out the 12" TH-12A Thumps and they sounded better than the 15" I have. I didn't end up buying them bc I got a deal I couldn't resist on a pair of Yamaha DXR12 cabs with speaker stands for $1090 and that included tax.

Does anyone know what the difference are between a Mackie Thump 12A and a 12? What's the "A" about? Also, I wonder why the 15" version is actually cheaper than the 12", must be because no demand for it? The 15" is $249, while the 12" is $299.

Does anyone know what the difference are between a Mackie Thump 12A and a 12? What's the "A" about? Also, I wonder why the 15" version is actually cheaper than the 12", must be because no demand for it? The 15" is $249, while the 12" is $299.
i see a 12BST and a 12A.

a usually means "active" which means a powered speaker, rather than passive. the BST version seems to have a LCD screen on the back with additional DSP, EQ, etc options.

the 15" isn't cheaper than the 12" anywhere i look, for the respective comparisons (BST vs BST and A vs A).

i didn't not like the first version of these speakers, and personally i don't like Mackie speakers in general.

The other 12" is also powered. Then there's 12A. Both are priced at $299.

The 15" at Musician's Friend is $249, it's $349 at Guitar Center.

i see a 12BST and a 12A.

a usually means "active" which means a powered speaker, rather than passive. the BST version seems to have a LCD screen on the back with additional DSP, EQ, etc options.

the 15" isn't cheaper than the 12" anywhere i look, for the respective comparisons (BST vs BST and A vs A).

i didn't not like the first version of these speakers, and personally i don't like Mackie speakers in general.

The other 12" is also powered. Then there's 12A. Both are priced at $299.

The 15" at Musician's Friend is $249, it's $349 at Guitar Center.
yes, both are powered.

the MF version is probably the original older model. the A and BST seem to be updated and current versions.

I have both Thump 15" and 12" and on the same distorted preset it seems that with eq off 12" sounds better, more forward, direct and with less mud.
On clean sounds (specially with neck humbucker pickup) or or "full" sounds like JP I like 15" better. For acoustic guitar I would definitely go with 15".
My conclusion is: going on a rehearsal with a band that plays hard'n heavy sounds I would take 12", it's lighter and smaller. If i need more calm tones or wide range I would take 15" and if I would use mostly heavy sounds eq it to my needs. Sadly 12" won't give you as full tone as 15" version - MHO. Anyway both seem to be quite cheap and ok solutions for Axe Fx.

Back
Top Bottom