Using Axe-Fx III for non guitar audio processing

endgroove

Inspired
Hi team Fractal:

I'm thinking of upgrading to a iii from a ii.

On my wish list other than unabashed GAS (cause let's face it, you guys need to enable me here) is an outboard effects processor I can use when I'm tracking vocals.

Right now I have a Axe ii, an Eventide Eclipse as well as an MW1 studio tool for reamping. I'm kind of hoping that I can trade all that in for an Axe iii that will more or less replace the current functionality of those three items... Nothing I've read here on the forums and across the interwebs is telling me this is not possible, but indulge me on the following questions for those of you currently using the iii in a home studio tracking environment:

1. Are any of you using the Axe iii effects for non-guitar tracking/mixing? If so:
    • What's your impression of having the Axe serve this way?
    • I imagine: line or digital in --> [no amps] --> effects --> [no cabs] --> out
    • I also imagine this would sound about as amazing as it does using it for its intended purpose
  2. If yes, then is it possible to process more than one input at a time (in parallel and independently), and then route them to independent outputs? e.g. as if I were using two separate effects boxes...
    • I'm thinking physical i/o here, but I'm also imagining using the 8 in 8 out USB for this as well.
    • The manual never explicitly says whether this is possible, and the layout grid (up to CPU limits) would - at first glance - suggest that it is.
    • This is not a deal breaker for me, since my life is fine right now without it, but even one extra independently routable stereo process would be a huge plus
  3. Reamping looks super simple with the USB method. I'm psyched about this because i've definitely found gain staging with analog reamping is tricky (for me anyway) - I guess I don't really have any specific question here other than to ask if any of you notice a shift in tone. Doing reamping in the analog domain has always had a noticeable affect on tone for me - which not surprising really. The Axe method looks like it takes some of that unpredictable tone voodoo and makes it a bit more transparent. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for reading!

It works great as an FX box. UI is so much nicer than the Eventide stuff for the H8000/H9000.

Lots of routing options and you can create multiple lanes of FX.

I use mine live for mixing and processing my guitar signal (like most) while having an input from my piezo pickup into compression and EQ and another input from my Roland Integra 7 sound module which is triggered via a GR55 for synth sounds. That gives me control over all of the levels and effects I need right from the Axe-fx using the FC12 and a couple of expression pedals. As well as it works for what I'm doing, I'm sure it would be killer for studio effects processing.

The routing options are worth the upgrade alone. The quality of effects and CPU power really make it unbelievable.

1. Are any of you using the Axe iii effects for non-guitar tracking/mixing? If so:
Yes, for synths and vocals

• What's your impression of having the Axe serve this way?
  • I imagine: line or digital in --> [no amps] --> effects --> [no cabs] --> out
No problem, though the Tube Pre amp block can be useful to add a touch, or the Marshalls and 4x12 CABs for these Hammond organ

• I also imagine this would sound about as amazing as it does using it for its intended purpose
Yes. It sounds amazing

2. If yes, then is it possible to process more than one input at a time (in parallel and independently), and then route them to independent outputs? e.g. as if I were using two separate effects boxes...
  • I'm thinking physical i/o here, but I'm also imagining using the 8 in 8 out USB for this as well.
  • The manual never explicitly says whether this is possible, and the layout grid (up to CPU limits) would - at first glance - suggest that it is.
  • This is not a deal breaker for me, since my life is fine right now without it, but even one extra independently routable stereo process would be a huge plus

You can routing all physical I/Os for independent processing.

For routing USB I/Os, this is what is available at the DAW:
Axe-FX-III-DAW-Drivers.png

3. Reamping looks super simple with the USB method. I'm psyched about this because i've definitely found gain staging with analog reamping is tricky (for me anyway) - I guess I don't really have any specific question here other than to ask if any of you notice a shift in tone. Doing reamping in the analog domain has always had a noticeable affect on tone for me - which not surprising really. The Axe method looks like it takes some of that unpredictable tone voodoo and makes it a bit more transparent. What are your thoughts?

Reamping digitally through the USB is absolutely transparent and loseless. It does not affect the tone at all.

Why don't you use your Axe-FX II USB for reamping? It has the same quality as the Axe-FX III.

Last edited:
I think the 3 could be a great solution for a keyboard player.
1-the effects trump anything in the keyboards out there
2- for an organ...simulating a gnarly, growling tube amp would be great

I want to make a microphone with him.
The new reverbs are so beautiful!
Do you have any experience with this?

I use my Axe FX as a mixer and effects processor for 2 analog synths + drum machines (various pocket operators). I plug the USB output in my phone and record from there. The tempo is controlled by one of the synths.

One thing I really like is the ability to add sidechain compression to the synths from the drum machine input.

It sounds amazing, works flawlessly.

Why don't you use your Axe-FX II USB for reamping? It has the same quality as the Axe-FX III
Yeah, good question. I guess I never did because at the time I still had multiple tube amps (actually I still have one), so I went the MW1 route. I hadn't been using the Axe as an audio interface in DAW. I also refurbed my studio a while back under the assumption that I might record at 2x sampling rates - So the Axe was being routed analog. I've since changed my mind on that for reasons, and I'm mostly recording at 1x rates, so it's an option again. That said, I still primarily would be using a different interface, so this would only be for tracking guitars and would require switching interfaces and routing for monitoring.

I guess that brings up another wish list item, which is not specific to Fractal, and that would be the ability to stream audio from DAWs to multiple audio interfaces. I know I can create "aggregate" devices, but that method adds latency and reliability issues. It would be rad to be able to insert my Axe as an Axe-Edit plugin, and do my reamping without switching interfaces. Maybe this approach is hackable with Rewire? I haven't tried.

Back
Top Bottom