using as a souncard and record

belfast

Inspired
Hi all
Can anyone point me i the right direction, im using my axe fx 2 as a soundcard (and that works fine)
But when i play a backingtrack and play guitar the same time it only records the guitar. ?
i would like to send the mix back to the computer

Sorry for poor english..:-x

Hi chris what would i do without you...
Im playing a mp3 from pc to axe, i want to record video on my pc using windos moviemaker, it records video and guitar fine, but the mp3 file dosent get recorded..

Check to see if the AXE is the playback device in Windows? It should be in the properties of the Axe in the Sound Control Panel. Make sure the Axe is on when you are doing this and set it as default playback device.

its playing fine the issue is that i want mybacking track to go to the axe and then mixed with my guitar return to Windows for recording..

Why? Wouldn't you import the backing track into your recording software, playback from there and record guitar onto a separate track?

Im doing a video and using Windows movie maker...and whem im setting the MM to Axe it only records the guitar sound..

I'm not sure there's an effective answer using Windows Movie Maker. If you search online, you can find some workarounds, but they all have their flaws. WMM just isn't a very good DAW.

sorry i wasn't referring to movie maker.
Specifically i'm wondering if there's a way of recording both a backing track being sent to the axe via USB, as well as the guitar signal.

I think this is one of the confusing things about the Axe FX. It took me a while to wrap my head around it. (I'm probably going to explain this poorly so someone feel free to clear it up.)

So you would think by running the Axe FX as a soundcard, you can record any of the sound coming out of Output 1. That's what Windows Movie Maker is listening to, right? Well, yes, it is recording Output 1, but only the audio being processed by the Axe FX. All the audio from the computer (i.e., the backing track) being passed through the Axe FX's Output 1 is NOT recorded. Its only using Output 1 as a monitoring output and that's it.

The only way to record the backing track AND your guitar playing would be to have the Axe FX running as a sound card via USB on one computer, and then record the analog outputs of Output 1 into another computer.

Or get a DAW. Drop your backing track into it, then play back from that.

sorry i wasn't referring to movie maker.
Specifically i'm wondering if there's a way of recording both a backing track being sent to the axe via USB, as well as the guitar signal.

Yes ... for your own sanity use a decent DAW program of some sort - EG Reaper which is cheap and well featured REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits or if you have a Mac and Garageband installed it could get you started too.

If you're not familiar with DAW software then you need to familiarise yourself with the basics on how they work really first ..... as it's pointless at this stage to try and begin explain as it would be a long and confusing post!

Best thing is pick your DAW software first then when it's installed ask specific questions relating to it and how to hook up an AxeFX to it etc.

thanks for the answers. I would do this in a daw, but i don't think i can. I'm using guitar pro and some tabs, and i want to feed specific parts of a song looped while playing over it for practice purposes.
i supposed the best answer would be
play and record the section i'm wanting to loop, then add it as a track in daw, and then record over it again. I was just looking for a cheaper (time) option for practicing. In this case, i don't think the added complexity is worth the value it would provide (for me)

Looping in a DAW is as easy as snip/copy/paste. IMO, nothing is more time-wasting than trying to get Windows Movie Maker to do something it wasn't designed to do. :)

Get the Reaper, it's free. (kind of.)
1. In your Axe I/O, set "Audio: Main input source: USB."
2. Bypass everything in the patch in Axe, or double click bypass to bypass the whole unit.
3. Make a track and click record on reaper, hit play on your whatever software that makes noise. Now you have that on one track in reaper.
4. Go back to Axe I/O and set it back to analog. Make another track in reaper and record your guitar onto that one. Win.

Last edited:
Get the Reaper, it's free. (kind of.)
1. In your Axe I/O, set "Audio: Main input source: USB."
2. Bypass everything in the patch in Axe, or double click bypass to bypass the whole unit.
3. Make a track and click record on reaper, hit play on your whatever software that makes noise. Now you have that on one track in reaper.
4. Go back to Axe I/O and set it back to analog. Make another track in reaper and record your guitar onto that one. Win.

sweet i'll try that. thank you!

Reaper isn't free, but its price is outstanding. And it's fully functional in demo mode.

Back
Top Bottom