Using an Axe FX XL with an XL+

deakle

Experienced
I saw this briefly mentioned in an earlier post but would like to expand on it. I was lucky enough to be able to pick up an Axe FX II XL+ without having to sell the Axe FX II XL that I also have. Can anyone expand on the possibilities this opens up? Currently, I am running into both via an ABY switch, but what other combinations can I utilize that would give more possibilities? I researched the Wiki, but did not find anything there. Also, is there a way to use the single MFC-101 Mark III that I have with both the Axes, or would I need a second MFC-101? Any and all suggestions/hints are greatly appreciated! This is a fantastic and helpful forum. I have learned a great deal from it and I try to contribute to others as best I can.

You can run 1 axe fx threw the loop of the other, or in parallel, or 1 in front of the other. one mfc will control 2 axe fx units but may cause some trouble if they are both on the same midi channel in axe fx mode. out of axe fx mode the mfc can send multiple commands on different channels.

How is the best way to connect the MFC to both Axes? FASlink to one, Ethercon to the other? Or MIDI in/out between the two Axes?

I think we need some information about what your hoping to achieve, and what limitations you found just one unit was giving you, before we can give you ideas about the 'best' way to hook them together

Where you maxing out CPU on crazy patches, did you need instant dropout free switching between amp models, do you just think "if one is good, two must great" ??

I am just looking for ideas. I have not encountered any limitations with only a single Axe FX. I was just fortunate in that someone made me an excellent offer on a guitar that I was selling and the Fractal Black November sale came up so I purchased the XL+. I am still climbing the learning curve and never really had the opportunity to have such a technologically advanced setup as this so I wanted to utilize it to its fullest potential. Basically, I “lucked in” to possessing two Axe FX units and would like to know how to use both of them rather than just utilize one as a backup for the other.

Back
Top Bottom