Using a Pod X3L as a midi controller AND....

Hey guys

I'm thinking of picking up another Ultra in the future and being done with it. Right now I use a line 6 Variax for one of my bands because of the tuning options and acoustics. I wish I didn't need it but it's a great tool. I was thinking of using my X3 Live as a midi controller for the axe but I'm trying to figure out if I'd still be able to control the variax via the special variax cable while switching axe presets? Obviously I don't have the axe yet so I can't test this out. Has anyone out there tried this before? I'm praying that it will allow me to do this....

If it did work you would either have to pass the signal through the X3 or run 2 cables (the VDI cable to the X3 and audio to the Axe-fx). You can try this yourself. Run the VDI out to the X3 then plug the 1/4" into your amp. Sounds like it would be a bit of a PITA to me to have 2 cables out of the guitar. You could just use the X3 w/ no amp or effects and pss the signal to the Axe-fx. I imagine it would color the tone and increase the latency though. Also, You will only be able to access the first 128 presets of the axe-fx unless you use midi mapping.

Here's a follow-up for anyone that has used this as a controller...

I just bought a standard and I'm waiting for it to be shipped. I'm only using the X3L for simple patch changes. My question is 2 parts...

1) Will the bank up/down buttons on the pod allow me to access 128 patches on the axe? (4 patches per bank on the pod)

2) Is it possible to use the pod's expression pedal for the axe's wah and/or volume?

joviguitarist said:
Here's a follow-up for anyone that has used this as a controller...

I just bought a standard and I'm waiting for it to be shipped. I'm only using the X3L for simple patch changes. My question is 2 parts...

1) Will the bank up/down buttons on the pod allow me to access 128 patches on the axe? (4 patches per bank on the pod)

2) Is it possible to use the pod's expression pedal for the axe's wah and/or volume?

Yes to both.

Can anyone elaborate here a bit. We can control the Axe using a Line 6 X3 Live? We just have to figure out the mapping?
Will it see program info like program names from the Axe?

Can I use the patch/IA configuration?

This is very intriguing!

up!
i'm a new member, hoping to buy my first axe soon and I hope to can controll it with an x3L that I use when touring by airplane and only 1 backpack + guitar

thank you for the information ;)

Back
Top Bottom