Using a "modeling" amp's MP3 input

Musicroom

I once tried using a Peavey Vypyr's "MP3" input connected to a Atomic Amplifire 3 I had at the time. From my understanding, the MP3 inputs bypass the gain stages of these amps and turns them into a powered speaker cabinet more or less. As I recall, it worked pretty well. Granted the sound was still influenced by the Vypyr's cheaper amp personality, but again not too shabby.

From that experience, I sometimes think about trying the AX8 via MP3 input on a higher quality modeling amp. I guess the underlying reasoning to this idea is the speakers that are chosen in these modeling amps should lend itself to approximating various amp models and might be an alternative to add to the mix of powered speaker choices for the AX8. I'm looking at a Blackstar ID Core 100 which is a stereo amp with a MP3 input and also a stereo fx loop. Stereo is the direction I would like to land whether it be a couple of frfr monitors or something else.

Just a thought to throw out there to see if anyone has tried something like this with the AX8. This powered speaker learning / journey is confusing when hoping to make a home-run purchase.

I don't like all the "made for guitar modeler" speakers. In my opinion, something that sounds good on your guitar, should also sound excellent for anything else you put through it. I use my studio monitors most of the time at home; IEMs at gigs. I also have a Yamaha DXR12 powered speaker for when I really want to move some air.

Even if that Blackstar doesn't sound terrible (which it will), it certainly won't sound right. You'll end up working your presets around it, and have bad direct tones as a result.

I know what both of you are saying and appreciate the input. I have my duct tape mentality on this idea and will not go in this direction. The only high end frfr I tried was a clr and I liked it, but didn't love it. I guess I'm really looking for the unavailable - I want a <40 lbs stereo speaker/amp that represents the AX8's great sounds in the $1000 - $1200 range. Leaning towards a couple of powercabs.

Celestion announced the F12-x200 at NAMM in Jan this year. it is designed to be a 12" FRFR speaker to drop in your favorite cab. I'm not sure when they will be released. If you believe the interweb, it could be in the next 2-4 months. This might be a good and cheaper alternative, depending on the speaker price, as a lot of us have old cabs and power amps already.

That Blackstar you are looking at has a stereo FX return. You don't need to use that tiny MP3 input. Any EQ they're doing to the MP3 input to flatten it would probably not be good for your guitar sound. Just plug in to the return and create presets that sound good through those speakers.

That Blackstar you are looking at has a stereo FX return. You don't need to use that tiny MP3 input. Any EQ they're doing to the MP3 input to flatten it would probably not be good for your guitar sound. Just plug in to the return and create presets that sound good through those speakers.

I didn't even think about the MP3 input being eq'd. Good catch! Thanks!

The aux in of a guitar amp is intended as a secondary source mainly for backing tracks, the design implies that there are 2 sources hitting the amp at the same time and the guitar input is always favoured. It works, but the dynamics are not the best. Not to mention that this aux input is stereo and the poweramp/speaker is mono.
I tested my ax8 into all the consumer grade devices present at home (including the TV) and the best results come from a good hi-fi system from the nineties using the line/CD input. The poweramp is stereo wich is good and I use it as a headphones amp for playing at night.
When comes the sun nothing can beat a good FRFR as expected!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom