Using a Gate/Expander Block vs. the Input + Gate Rectangle

So today I purchased the Jason Richardson Axe Fx II live patches because his website was having a flash sale with everything being 50% off. I noticed in his patch that he didn't use a gate/expander block and instead used the input + gate rectangle to keep his rhythm tight. Are there any advantages or disadvantages with using one or the other? I don't really hear much of a difference but I'm also not an expert audio engineer, just playing sold out shows at the bedroom arena. I'm attaching one of his patches and one of mine just for educational purposes.

I used to use the input gate since it was always there and saved using a block, but when I started using scenes I switched to the gate/expander block so I could have it turned off for cleans (not sure if you can change the input gate settings per scene).

I never noticed any difference in performance. I guess the ‘intelligent’ setting wouldn’t be available on the gate/expander block.

Depends where you want your gate. After the amp use the gate block and before it use the input gate.

That's how I use it.

I use the input gate (intelligent mode) often at settings Treshold -40 and Ratio 2 in most cases this is enough to elimnate the hum. If i use High Gain Amps I have put the Gate Block after the AMP and CAB Block at stock settings (-40 Treshold and Ratio 2)

This works fine. If any other recommandations please welcome

I hardly ever use the Gate block, except to kill fret noise in presets with a Synth block.

The gate in the Input block at default settings already takes care of noise. If that doesn't suffice I'll adjust Threshold and/or Ratio. Threshold at -70 and Ratio at 3 probably are my most extreme settings.

My Input block is a Global block in my gig presets, so if I adjust it in one preset, it applies to all. Alt. I can adjust the Global Noisegate Offset in the Global menu.

Back
Top Bottom