Using a DI?

jshirkey

Experienced
Okay, I'm about to ask either a very dumb question or a very thoughtful one. I obviously have no idea which, but I'm sure someone will kindly set me straight.

Let's say I have a very high quality DI. Would it be a) possible, or b) worthwhile to plug a guitar into it, and then go out to the Axe 2 using a line level input? Would it give the Axe a better signal to work with, thus improving the overall tone? Or is it completely unnecessary (or impossible) to do something like that?

Thanks,

Jeff

no, this wouldn't work, unless it's an active DI that also includes a pre-amp function.

and like java says, it's not necessary. the axe-fx has (built-in) the preamp you need to get your guitar signal hot enough to work with.

no, this wouldn't work, unless it's an active DI that also includes a pre-amp function.

and like java says, it's not necessary. the axe-fx has (built-in) the preamp you need to get your guitar signal hot enough to work with.

Yes, it's a very high quality mic preamp with a DI. Anyway, it was just a thought I had to try to give the Axe a better quality analog signal to work with.

What really got me thinking about it, though, was because I thought about using the DI with a bass and a Pod Bass XT Pro. I'm not sure if it's possible, but it'd be nice to use the improved signal of the DI w/ bass + the amp/cab possibilities of the Pod.

others have had good results fronting the axe-fx with a variety of effects. the front input has special circuitry to accomodate boosts and drives. give it a try and see if you like it.

others have had good results fronting the axe-fx with a variety of effects. the front input has special circuitry to accomodate boosts and drives. give it a try and see if you like it.

First I need an Axe 2--hopefully I can grab one in the next couple months. These were basically preliminary questions. Thanks for chiming in. I appreciate it.

I would give the DI a go and see if you like it.

I've used my Avalon 737sp in front of the AxeFx II. Sounded awesome. I like the EQ and compressor in the Avalon for some clean stuff.

Richard

If you are one to use really long cords going to the Axe, a good quality DI may keep your signal a little cleaner driving long cables. Any normal length of quality shielded cable should be fine though. Most who have to get that far away from their rack are using wireless these days. I don't think a good quality DI would hurt anything, and you might like the sound. Necessary? No. Worth trying? Sure, what have you got to lose? It won't hurt the Axe.

When I recorded my band doing live remotes with the Ultra I split the signal going not the Ultra with a Millennia TD-1 sending one output to the Ultra and the other as a clean to the recoding gear. I had one stereo out going to my cabs and the other to FOH/recording gear. I'm certain there's was a better way, but I'm old school. No wait. I'm getting a headache.

Back
Top Bottom