Wish User guitar input presets

Sorry for the delay.....
I was originally referring to input sensitivity like the Roland VG units have.
All guitars have different output levels so it would be nice to be able to setup some user presets for the input.
Example:
preset 1 Les Paul passive
preset 2 Strat passive
preset 3 EMG loaded hot output
preset 4 Dan Electro low output

This way you can have each guitar you use dialed to the 'T' instead of readjusting on the fly.

My life has been pretty good thus far w/o the aforementioned feature; however, it would be nice for those of you who gig w/ multiple guitars.

Cheers to all of you guys! I've been enjoying my summer & trying to catch up on some much needed relaxation.
I'm in low gear at the moment. :)

Sorry for the delay.....
I was originally referring to input sensitivity like the Roland VG units have.
All guitars have different output levels so it would be nice to be able to setup some user presets for the input.
Example:
preset 1 Les Paul passive
preset 2 Strat passive
preset 3 EMG loaded hot output
preset 4 Dan Electro low output

This way you can have each guitar you use dialed to the 'T' instead of readjusting on the fly.

My life has been pretty good thus far w/o the aforementioned feature; however, it would be nice for those of you who gig w/ multiple guitars.

Cheers to all of you guys! I've been enjoying my summer & trying to catch up on some much needed relaxation.
I'm in low gear at the moment. :)
You should not need to adjust Input Sensitivity for different guitars, though... Adjust for your hottest guitar and call it a day.

It does not affect the signal into the grid as long as you're not clipping.

It's for optimizing signal to noise for the A/D...

You should not need to adjust Input Sensitivity for different guitars, though... Adjust for your hottest guitar and call it a day.

It does not affect the signal into the grid as long as you're not clipping.

It's for optimizing signal to noise for the A/D...

To me optimizing S/N ratio is a huge reason to have this per preset. I'm thinking about scenarios where you're giggiing with different guitars with different levels of noise leakage. Yes, you can certainly set the noise gate per preset to attack this problem, but it's always best to optimize the noise floor at the input sensitivity, whether you're dealing with a mic or a guitar.

To me optimizing S/N ratio is a huge reason to have this per preset. I'm thinking about scenarios where you're giggiing with different guitars with different levels of noise leakage. Yes, you can certainly set the noise gate per preset to attack this problem, but it's always best to optimize the noise floor at the input sensitivity, whether you're dealing with a mic or a guitar.
I don't think that's the same thing...

Input Sensitivity optimizes the S/N ratio of the Axe-Fx. Guitars with different levels of "noise leakage" — that's an issue with the S/N ratio of the guitar itself. That's baked into the signal before it ever gets to the Axe-Fx.

The noise generated by the Axe-Fx is tiny compared to the self-noise of an electric guitar. That's why you can sweep Input Sensitivity across a wide range with no audible change in the noise.

Input Sensitivity optimizes the S/N ratio of the Axe-Fx. Guitars with different levels of "noise leakage" — that's an issue with the S/N ratio of the guitar itself. That's baked into the signal before it ever gets to the Axe-Fx.

The noise generated by the Axe-Fx is tiny compared to the self-noise of an electric guitar. That's why you can sweep Input Sensitivity across a wide range with no audible change in the noise.
Possible misunderstanding:
I thought the Input Sensitivity was adjusting the ADCs full scale sample range (Volts). So if instrument 1 outputs a max 1V (to pick a number) then each least significant bit (LSB) is 1V/#bits. If instrument 2 is a factor x higher or lower, then each LSB is proportionally scaled (x*V)/#bits. The weaker signal instrument would not cover the full range of the ADC (for the same way you play == lower output signal, same feel), which should mean the softer you play on the weaker instrument puts that same music closer to the ADC's noise-floor.
Hope I'm not way off here.

Possible misunderstanding:
I thought the Input Sensitivity was adjusting the ADCs full scale sample range (Volts). So if instrument 1 outputs a max 1V (to pick a number) then each least significant bit (LSB) is 1V/#bits. If instrument 2 is a factor x higher or lower, then each LSB is proportionally scaled (x*V)/#bits. The weaker signal instrument would not cover the full range of the ADC (for the same way you play == lower output signal, same feel), which should mean the softer you play on the weaker instrument puts that same music closer to the ADC's noise-floor.
Hope I'm not way off here.
You’re not far off. The thing is that the Axe-Fx’s noise floor is 30 stories lower than your guitar’s noise floor. That means that for much of its range, Input Sensitivity has no effect on the noise you hear, because the guitar’s own self-noise dominates. So you dial it in for your hottest guitar to make sure that no guitar will cause clipping. Then just leave it there. The Axe’s noise will be inaudible, buried under the guitar’s noise.

You’re not far off. The thing is that the Axe-Fx’s noise floor is 30 stories lower than your guitar’s noise floor. That means that for much of its range, Input Sensitivity has no effect on the noise you hear, because the guitar’s own self-noise dominates. So you dial it in for your hottest guitar to make sure that no guitar will cause clipping. Then just leave it there. The Axe’s noise will be inaudible, buried under the guitar’s noise.
That's the detail I wasn't sure of, thanks @Rex . It just a...

The incoming noise is orders of magnitude higher than any noise from the digitization, and none of this affects the sound quality of the different instruments. Now maybe I'll get that Lehle 3AT1 I've been thinking about.

Back
Top Bottom