Used prices of Axe2 & Xl when the 3 comes out

The AxeFXIII could go for $1200 new.....then where would we be?

And while I am sure that there will be an AxeFXIII at some point and time I'm not going to wait to buy something to use now on speculation as to whether something that isn't available will become available....especially if I have a specific need right now. Case in point if you need the XL+ for a specific reason then buy it. If you are just looking to buy it because it's the "newest version" then you should always expect to lose money to some extent.

Being that the U.S. and all global economy will have been completely destroyed and replaced by bartering with seashells in the next few years, I would guess you'll get 3247 shells for the XL+ and 2643 shells for the II Mk2.

Then again, if the new currency isn't shells and is instead replaced by cow pies, well, then, that's a whole other accounting...

Being that the U.S. and all global economy will have been completely destroyed and replaced by bartering with seashells in the next few years, I would guess you'll get 3247 shells for the XL+ and 2643 shells for the II Mk2.

Then again, if the new currency isn't shells and is instead replaced by cow pies, well, then, that's a whole other accounting...

Of course, this is only true if the new price of the AxeIII is at least 3600 shells, 700 bottle caps, and three used shoes.

Reactions: svl
I never said anything about being "worried" about losing money. Obviously most who upgrade are going to sell what they have to fund the new purchase. I figured lose alittle now on my MK2 for an XL+ and alittle on the XL+ for the 3. I don't think my numbers are far off. It's not much of a difference than what I'd lose if I keep and then sell my MK2 when the 3 comes out. There's a lot of presets being shared that are XL only and there will only be more as time goes on. As far as electronic go, we're pretty lucky Fractal has a crazy good resale value. Ultras that sold for $2000 new still go for $12-$1400 on fleabay and there was a pretty big leap between that and the the 2, especially where it is now. Is it really possible to type AxeFx 3 for $1200 with a straight face?

There's a lot of presets being shared that are XL only and there will only be more as time goes on.
That's a good point, and I think it's far more important than any attempt to estimate future resale values of gear.

Is it really possible to type AxeFx 3 for $1200 with a straight face?
That's another thing that's hard to predict in a meaningful way. Example: not all that long ago, RAM for your PC cost $50/megabyte. That was a steady price for years. At that price, today's 2 GB stick would cost $100,000.

How many presets have you used that were built by others since you have owned your II? I have used maybe 3-4 for me that would be a lot of cash just be able to use 3-4 presets that someone else made. If you're using a lot then I say just get the XL and be over it!

To add to this thicket of speculation when the AX8 comes out I think there will be a lot of people that could be selling their II to fund an AX8 which could upset Axe II resale for a short while. Something else to think about :lol.

Last edited:
How many presets have you used that were built by others since you have owned your II? I have used maybe 3-4 for me that would be a lot of cash just be able to use 3-4 presets that someone else made. If you're using a lot then I say just get the XL and be over it!

What little time I get to myself to play I'd rather check out others great presets than build my own. Just tweak little. Like I said, as time goes on more and more will be XL only. I guess I'll place an order tomorrow. Although I will be bummed if an XL to 2 preset converter comes out.

I was on the same page when I purchased the axe fx. The axe fx XL came up a couple of months later. I got annoyed at first then I thought to myself, oh wait I don't even know wtf I'm doing half the time. Imagine the confusion when axe fx mega boner version comes out. Haha

I was on the same page when I purchased the axe fx. The axe fx XL came up a couple of months later. I got annoyed at first then I thought to myself, oh wait I don't even know wtf I'm doing half the time. Imagine the confusion when axe fx mega boner version comes out. Haha

I'm happy to say I had about 2 1/2 good years out of my MK2. There was a rough patch for a long while in the beginning with the AE thing though. I wouldn't even sell it for an XL if it weren't for the new long tenoned, hide glued, analine dyed custom + sign.

What little time I get to myself to play I'd rather check out others great presets than build my own. Just tweak little. Like I said, as time goes on more and more will be XL only. I guess I'll place an order tomorrow. Although I will be bummed if an XL to 2 preset converter comes out.

I see your point, Thing is if a G3 unit does come out in the near future it would most likely be geared even more towards the studio and power users. With the introduction of the AX8 A widening user tier is inevitable so you will have a units that will do whatever you need.

Ax8 for the stage and gigging musicians that need to be as light and portable as possible, Axe II and XL for the guys that need a more complex rig for stage and studio and say an "Axe FX Pro" for the demanding Studio and touring musicians. Ha, I guess im just babbling at this point get the XL and don't worry about it, it will more than likely be more then you will ever need I know what I have is, though it is nice to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

So the exchange rate is in danger of a shell shock? :hororr:

womp-womp-womp-waaaaaaaaaammmmmmp :p

Seriously though, as with all things, a used AxeFx of any model will be worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Keep in mind production rates. No one buys a new 5150 II from Guitar Center for $1200 anymore, because they can find one on any given day searching through Craigslist with a price tag around $600.

AFAIK, FAS isn't mass-producing these units. They're also badass, and thus desirable. So, on the used market, they go for pretty close to whatever the seller asks for.

Yes, the new models *could* dip resale values, but I wouldn't hold my breath. There are several of us who wouldn't mind owning both for whatever reasons we might have. There's also the fact that, at whatever point the AxeII becomes obsolete, it will never degrade in tonal quality (within reason - everything decomposes eventually, but probably not in your or your grand kids' lifetime). Do old Marshalls and Fenders suffer on the resale market just because newer models are available? Maybe not an accurate direct comparison given the nature of digital technology vs vintage analog components, but it's not that far off. After all, you could spend several thousand dollars on an old original blackface circuit, or a few hundred on a used reissue and a relatively simple mod.

...and all of this just goes to show that your guess is as good as mine or anyone else's, and none of them are probably accurate enough to base your decision on.

I must have missed something, but I was under the impression you were going to buy either a II or XL, not that you already have a II and are looking at upgrading from it to an XL. If you already have a II, then my suggestion would be to compare the actual differences and decide for yourself if the upgrade is worth what it will cost you, and since that's a variable none of us can accurately gauge...???

Back
Top Bottom