Used FX III Question

tonemaster13

Hello,

I have never owned a FX III but have the opportunity to buy a used one for $1,800 in good working condition with box. A few years old. Local seller. Can you please help me to understand what I should be looking out for to make sure it is a good deal? Does the price seem fair? Are the newer FX III's more feature rich and thus worth paying the extra cost?

Thanks!

I think you will be fine with the used model as long as it is in good shape. I run an original 3 and its fine for my use. I'm pretty sure I read that firmware is going to support the original for the forseeable future.

Resale on these units is high (like used cars these days). A new mark II is $500 more plus shipping. Is that worth piece of mind (and a 1 year warranty)? Up to you to decide.

I'd say that $1800 is a fair price assuming that it is in good working order and doesn't have any obvious damage to the case such as bent rack ears and rack rash.

If you get the chance to do an in-person demo you might want to ask that they demonstrate the functionality of each of the inputs / outputs including the USB as those are the components most liable to fail. I'm not saying that they fail commonly, but it can't hurt to verify. Also, check each of the buttons / encoders for functionality and inspect the display to ensure that it doesn't have any persistent white lines (a potential sign of screen failure).

The Mark II models have an upgraded display (sharper image / better contrast but not important since the one on the MK I is still pretty good IMO), more preset memory slots (1024 vs only 512), they have user slots for FullFes IR's (the MK I only has a few factory stored FullRes IRs and no user slots), and the MK II have user control over the color of the logo back light (the MK I is blue backlight only). The MK II turbo gives you 25% more processing power which is very cool but will likely be overkill for most users.

Thanks guys! Can I also ask - being that I am new to learning about the FX III. Can you help me understand why I also might want to hold out for the FM9? Or, maybe the FM3 would suffice? I am a bit overwhelmed at the choices so any info is appreciated. I think I will also have to add a foot controller to be able to go between clean and distorted and effects so curious if the FX III still makes sense in your opinion. Thank you.

Can I also ask - being that I am new to learning about the FX III. Can you help me understand why I also might want to hold out for the FM9? Or, maybe the FM3 would suffice?
Are you a "I want the best with all the bells-and-whistles" or a "I want great tone with convenience, simplicity, portability" kind of person?
Are you a "jump in the deep end" a or "start slowly" kind of person?
Are you a "I need two stereo amps or I won't be happy" or a "I'm a basic single amp" kind of person?

If more the former, go for an AF3 (used or new or mkII turbo). If the latter, start with an FM3 and then you could upgrade later if/when you feel like that's what you want. If you're right in the middle, an FM9 might fit the bill.

Are you a "I want the best with all the bells-and-whistles" or a "I want great tone with convenience, simplicity, portability" kind of person?
Are you a "jump in the deep end" a or "start slowly" kind of person?
Are you a "I need two stereo amps or I won't be happy" or a "I'm a basic single amp" kind of person?

If more the former, go for an AF3 (used or new or mkII turbo). If the latter, start with an FM3 and then you could upgrade later if/when you feel like that's what you want. If you're right in the middle, an FM9 might fit the bill.
Thank you. I am mainly looking for a great clean channel, edge of break up distortion, and full high gain channels to switch between in a live setting. Of course having ability to use effects via pedal board will be needed too. I am a start slow kinda person and would love this unit to be convenient without having to spend too much time fussing over menu after menu. Thank you.

Thank you. I am mainly looking for a great clean channel, edge of break up distortion, and full high gain channels to switch between in a live setting. Of course having ability to use effects via pedal board will be needed too. I am a start slow kinda person and would love this unit to be convenient without having to spend too much time fussing over menu after menu. Thank you.
If you have time to wait, hold out for an FM9 but that may be a while. Otherwise the fm3 will likely suit your needs.

Thanks! Anything the FM9 would be missing out on that makes the FX III be worth having?
More processing power, a couple of fx blocks maybe that don’t tend to be critical. The amount of amp/reverb etc blocks in a single preset is a little different. You come across like me in that you’re not really a power user so you won’t likely be pushing them to the brink. Amp cab some delay and verb and maybe a wah and you’re good. Either will do that perfect and more. If you’re going to be using this live, the FM9 is your move or an FM3 with a controller if you need it soon. My axefxIII stays home in my rack and never leaves.

Any of the units anyone has mentioned so far will give you 3 great amp channels. There might be a little work involved in getting what you want from them, but it will be worth it.

How many effects, and how easily accessible do you need them to be? I have an Axe FX III of similar age to the one you are considering, with an FC-12 controller. It has all been pretty straight forward to set up, and because I like effects, anything less than 10 pedals under my feet would seem like I don't have full control in a gig situation. I could definitely achieve everything I need with an FM-3 at a basic level, but it would involve a hell of a lot of careful thought and planning that I'd find it hard to motivate myself for, so the FC-12 was a "no brainer". If you are using effects heavily, I'd suggest the Axe FX III you are considering, and get an FC-12 to go with it. If you are only thinking of 3 amp channels and 2 or 3 effects being switched, FM-3 will probably do it. I'd better go find out what an FM-9 is, but pretty sure it will definitely do it.

Liam

Buying used equipment is like buying a used car. Only the original owner knows the true condition…. It’s a risk.

I'd say that $1800 is a fair price assuming that it is in good working order and doesn't have any obvious damage to the case such as bent rack ears and rack rash.

If you get the chance to do an in-person demo you might want to ask that they demonstrate the functionality of each of the inputs / outputs including the USB as those are the components most liable to fail. I'm not saying that they fail commonly, but it can't hurt to verify. Also, check each of the buttons / encoders for functionality and inspect the display to ensure that it doesn't have any persistent white lines (a potential sign of screen failure).

The Mark II models have an upgraded display (sharper image / better contrast but not important since the one on the MK I is still pretty good IMO), more preset memory slots (1024 vs only 512), they have user slots for FullFes IR's (the MK I only has a few factory stored FullRes IRs and no user slots), and the MK II have user control over the color of the logo back light (the MK I is blue backlight only). The MK II turbo gives you 25% more processing power which is very cool but will likely be overkill for most users.

Well stated! I'm new here and to modeling. I'm on the FM9 waiting list and just signed up in July. However, if I save up enough for an AXE Turbo and FC12 before my number comes up for the FM9, I'm seriously thinking of getting that. Do I need it? At 74, and knowing nothing, I sure don't, but it will be the first, and last unit I ever need for the rest of my short time left on this planet, so why not?! ;)

FM3 gets you one AMP block + one CAB block each with 4 channels and most all the other effect blocks in the AF3 though with fewer effect instances (e.g. 2 Drives vs. 4 in AF3).

Besides form factor, I/O, and CPU differences, see page 3 for a comprehensive comparison of blocks across the three platforms:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/fas-guides/Fractal-Audio-Blocks-Guide.pdf

I clipped that page here:
1661521616039.png

FM3 gets you one AMP block + one CAB block each with 4 channels and most all the other effect blocks in the AF3 though with fewer effect instances (e.g. 2 Drives vs. 4 in AF3).

Besides form factor, I/O, and CPU differences, see page 3 for a comprehensive comparison of blocks across the three platforms:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/fas-guides/Fractal-Audio-Blocks-Guide.pdf

I clipped that page here:
View attachment 107195
You are 100% correct. I think most users will get by with 1 amp block, 1 delay block, 1 verb etc. power users have cause to look up the product chain.

Back
Top Bottom