Use Ernie Ball Jr Volume as Expression Pedal in AxeFX II

nojyeloot

Experienced
I have:
  • AxeFX II
  • Ground Control Pro [GCP]
  • Ernie Ball Jr 250k Volume Pedal (6180) for Passive Instruments [VP]
Saw this video of Mark Day's rig (1:45):

I want to configure my Volume Pedal to be a Global Volume Pedal, but as an expression pedal like Mark Day has (so I only have to run ONE cable from my VP to my GCP, not all the way back to my rig).

I assume that I'll need one of these:
Easy Expression Converter

I've enabled "Pedal 1" on my GCP. I've looked at p.135 on the AxeFX II manual for reference, but I think I need the Easy Expression Converter first.

Has anyone done this before, or have any worthwhile advice?

Looks like that's just an insert cable. Should work fine. I'm using the VPJr with an MFC-101 and it works great. Shouldn't be a problem with the GCP.

Personally, I greatly prefer putting a volume block in my presets before the delay and reverb instead of assigning the pedal to the global volume control. It's more work, because you have to so that in all your presets, but the advantage is that you can do volume swells without choking the reverb and delay.

VERY good advice. I'll need to keep the integrity of the verb and delay w/ my church patches.

You're referring to the "Vol/Pan" block right?

It shouldn't be too tough w/ Axe Edit. Worth it.

Yes, vol pan block.

The hardest thing is getting the feel of the sweep configured to your liking. I think i have it set to linear with a slope of 25%. I can look tonight if you are interested.

Once you have that set, you can save the block settings in axe edit and then just recall these block settings in other parches. Or better yet, save it as a global block setting (I have not tried that yet).

OK.

Yes please, I'm greatly interested.

Yes, this is what I planned on doing, and good advice. Thank you.

I've got the proper "Y cable" (easy expression converter). Can anyone help me set it up as a global volume in the AxeFX II? Only my first patch recognizes the pedal.

To be a global expression pedal, set the MIDI CC for the pedal (you set this in the GCP) and then apply the same CC# to either the input volume or the output volumes under the I/O MIDI section of the AxeFX.

Thanks man.

However, my only options on my GCP is to turn Pedal 1 or 2 ON or OFF (of which I'm only using Pedal 1). Where do I change the MIDI CC for Pedal 1?

If you use vol/pan blocks in a patch, so your delay and reverb don't also change volume, then you are not creating a "global" volume.

You need to add a vol/pan block in each patch. Then make sure each block is set to the same external controller number.

You may want to create a global block for your vol/pan blocks so they are easier to manage. I have a video for that. I'm not sure if the controller information is also copied though.

Axe-FX II - setting up global blocks - YouTube

i also just confirmed that copying the settings using the global block method does not copy the controller data. however, copying an effect from the Recall menu does copy the controller data.

but for me, hitting enter on "volume" and setting it to external 1 doesn't take that much time. so i'd just create volume blocks in all your patches and link them with the global block you create, then just manually set the controller.

Last edited:
This is very cool and in actual use, the controller is not so much a variable as the other items that will change from a linked global block so this is a one time setup in selecting that controller to be external 1. Good stuff

Thanks man.

However, my only options on my GCP is to turn Pedal 1 or 2 ON or OFF (of which I'm only using Pedal 1). Where do I change the MIDI CC for Pedal 1?

In your GCP you have to cursor over more to select which CC the pedal will control. This is under the edit menu all the way at the end. Take a look at the manual. The GCP has a pretty intuitive manual.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

in actual use, the controller is not so much a variable
true, but many people will expect it to just copy over like all other variables and not understand it how you have. just trying to be as clear as possible because on a forum like this, words can be misunderstood so easily. have fun!

Back
Top Bottom