USB Recording has tinny / flat sound quality

It's not much different from what I wrote here for the II: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-with-garageband-to-record-and-re-amp.129257/

This big change is that the latest GB removed the ability to re-amp. It's utterly stupid. Someone had complained about it on the forum and it had been a while since I'd dropped from Logic X down to GB and was surprised. I started writing a long post on how to do it...and then I couldn't. I was stymied. Unbelivable. It's a good thing Logic Pro is worth every penny.

Anyhow...

Your audio device should be locked to 48 kHz. macOS got smart enough to do this in Catalina. If you're on a pre-Catalina macOS you'll need to go to Audio MIDI Setup.app and make sure it's set to 48 kHz there, both input and output:

View attachment 64168

And then in GB, when you start a new project, pick the III as you input and output device:

View attachment 64169

When you start a new track, use stereo and select inputs 1+2:

View attachment 64170

You can record a re-amp track as well if you setup a second track using inputs 3+4. But you can't play that re-amp track back into the unit in any way anymore. Thanks Apple.

awesome! Yeah I just saw an article on that on google but you confirmed it’ll work!

rad thanks!

Prudent to note also that the Axe must be connected via USB and on in order to change these settings in the Audio MIDI Setup.app

Since each preset I use has a different sound, I’ve created several EQ presets in GarageBand to adjust the sound to the same as what’s coming out of my FRFR or Headphones.
So this really shouldn't be necessary. Assuming USB connection for recording to GB, what you hear on the cans should be what GB is capturing.

Back
Top Bottom