Using your Axe-Fx II with GarageBand to record and re-amp

iaresee

Administrator
There seems to be some confusion over whether the Axe-Fx II's USB input and output will work with GarageBand. I'm here to say that, without a shadow of a doubt, it is possible to use GarageBand 10.2.0 with the Axe-Fx II (MkI, MkII, XL and XL+) to track and monitor your GarageBand projects. Works flawlessly for me on my ancient mid-2007 iMac and has for many years now.

Here is a quick run down on how I have everything set up so you can cop my settings to get to a happy, working place fast.

First, I have the USB drivers installed. You can get them here. You should restart your Mac after installed them and then the Axe-Fx II after the computer has rebooted. Once done, you'll see the Axe-Fx II in the Audio/Midi Setup application. You should have it setup to to be a 48 kHz device like so:

Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 5.23.56 PM.png
This is where GarageBand derives its sample rate settings from for any device you choose so if things sound all Mr Roboto in your projects it's because of the settings for the Axe-Fx II in the Audio MIDI Setup application.

In GarageBand itself you merely choose the Axe-Fx II as the input and output device. In the GarageBand app's preferences that looks like this:

Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 5.21.54 PM.png
But when you create a new project in GarageBand it looks like this for the project-level settings:

Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 5.24.26 PM.png
When you add a new track you need to remember that inputs 1 and 2 are the left and right outputs from Output 1 (or whatever you have echo'ed to the main USB outputs in the hardware settings). And that inputs 3 and 4 are the re-amp signal if you want to capture that signal as well as the fully-processed signal. So you'll want an Audio track type with the Axe-Fx II as the input and output. Here's how I setup the stereo wet capture track:

Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 5.22.44 PM.png

Note that I have input monitoring disabled because I don't want to incur the trip into GarageBand and back out. I'm monitoring via SPDIF out on my Axe-Fx II input the SPDIF in on my Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 -- no need to do a trip into the DAW and back with this setup and it's ultra-low latency.

For the re-amp track it's the same expect I'm using inputs 3 and 4. Technically you only need input 3 here, but meh...whatever, right? So it looks like this:

Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 5.22.55 PM.png

So, now here's the real secret: in order to be able to record the wet and re-amp signals at the same time you have to tell GarageBand to show the arm (record) button on every track header because, be default, it doesn't show this (and I've been unable to find a way to have GarageBand save a preferences that says I'd like this shown by default for all my new projects). Right click on a track header and select "Configure Track Header...":

Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 5.24.57 PM.png

And in the configuration screen make certain "Record Enable" is selected in the list:

Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 5.25.06 PM.png

See how it put the red dot in the track header in that second image? That's the arm button for a track. When you want to record both the wet and re-amp signal you need to make sure you arm BOTH tracks. And be careful! Selecting tracks can sometimes change the state of the arm feature on the track. Check before you hit record. I've lost a few really good takes on the re-amp track because I forgot to arm the darn re-amp track before I pressed go on the transport bar. Doh.

I keep the re-amp track muted when tracking. If I want to re-amp I mute ALL the other tracks in the project EXCEPT for the re-amp track that is the source material I want to re-amp. I create a NEW track set to record inputs 1 & 2 and then I arm AND MUTE that track (the muting isn't strictly necessary since I'm not monitoring through the DAW but it prevents accidental feedback loops). Then, on the Axe-Fx II I press the I/O button, page over to the AUDIO page and set the AUDIO INPUT SOURCE setting to USB.

Then I press record which plays back the re-amp track into the Axe-Fx while capturing the wet output, processed through the Axe-Fx II into the new input 1&2 track I just made (and armed but also muted...).

As soon as I've re-amped I set the input source on the Axe-Fx II back to ANALOG (IN 1). I've started a handful of rehearsals thinking my Axe-Fx II was busted because I was getting no signal in to the box and it took me a few minutes to remember I'd left it in USB input mode. Oops. :)

That's it! You're all set to track in GarageBand now. I've been tracking most of the silly little clips on my SoundCloud page with GarageBand for years. It's fast and efficient. No frills. Nothing gets in the way. I dig that. When I need to do Real Serious Work(tm) I'll fire up Logic X but that doesn't seem to be something I do too often these days.

Enjoy!

I appreciate you taking the time to do this. I cannot find the menu for the very first screenshot page in this post that says "audio devices". Everything else is set up for the axe-fx the way you posted but nowhere can I find a way to change the sample rate to 48k.I have the robot sound and an error message when I try recording with my Axe-fx II in garage band.

Now I have a Focusrite solo interface. Is there a way I could use that to get GarageBand to work with my axe-fx?

Sorry if this has been asked before. I'm new to recording and the axe-fx.

I appreciate you taking the time to do this. I cannot find the menu for the very first screenshot page in this post that says "audio devices". Everything else is set up for the axe-fx the way you posted but nowhere can I find a way to change the sample rate to 48k.I have the robot sound and an error message when I try recording with my Axe-fx II in garage band.

Now I have a Focusrite solo interface. Is there a way I could use that to get GarageBand to work with my axe-fx?

Hard Drive -> Applications -> Utilities -> Audio/Midi Setup

It's a separate program from GarageBand. Open Spotlight with Cmd-Space and start typing audio midi setup and it'll be at the top of the search list.

Thanks for the response. Still isn't working when I record it stops after a few seconds and says "error while trying to synchronize Audio and MIDI. Check conflict between GarageBand and midi device"

So I made the setting identical to yours in audio/midi setup. Then in garage band I went to preferences and set Axe-fx as output and input device and checked Enable audio units box. But under midi status it says "1 MIDI input detected" and yours says 2. Is there something I'm missing?

I have my Axe-fx connect to my Mac via USB and KRK5 monitors connected to axe fx. All Axe-FX drivers are installed.

Thanks for the response. Still isn't working when I record it stops after a few seconds and says "error while trying to synchronize Audio and MIDI. Check conflict between GarageBand and midi device"
There's little to nothing for MIDI setup on my end. It's just the defaults. Here's what I see in the Audio MIDI Setup program:

Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 8.21.21 PM.png

Note that I also have another Audio/MIDI interface plus some stuff that's not currently connected.

So I made the setting identical to yours in audio/midi setup. Then in garage band I went to preferences and set Axe-fx as output and input device and checked Enable audio units box. But under midi status it says "1 MIDI input detected" and yours says 2. Is there something I'm missing?
Mine shows 2 MIDI devices detected because I have more than the Axe-Fx II connected to my iMac.

I have my Axe-fx connect to my Mac via USB and KRK5 monitors connected to axe fx. All Axe-FX drivers are installed.

Did you try pressing the button in the GarageBand preferences window that says "Reset MIDI Drivers" with the text under it that reads "Click if you lost the connection to your MIDI devices."?

Ok I finally figured it out. In the newer versions (2011 running Mac OS Sierra version 10.12.6) I had to do a few extra steps. I can't upload URLs yet so no screen shot but I'll try and break it down through typing.

In Audio/Midi settings (your first screen shot) it looked different. Axe-FX ll was already set to 48k. In addition to this I had to click on the left menu "Built-in Input" and change the format to "2 ch 24-bit Integer 48.0kHz".
I also clicked on left menu "Built-in Output" format to "2 ch 24-bit Integer 48.0kHz" as well. I also changed Built in mic to the same settings. Not sure if it was necessary to change all of them to that format but it's now recording from my Axe-Fx using your setup with no issues.

Thanks for the help!

well iaresee, I followed your excellent instructions exactly and it worked, ie, i recorded my Axe pre-set with a backing track in GB. Axe recorded and played back with the BT,, but the Axe volume was way down in relation to my GB backing track - to get any balance I had to roll BT back to 1 and push Axe lead up to 10 so that's not normal and i'm clearly doing something wrong.
In Axe Edit, Amp Input Master Vol is at max, and Axe front panel Output was also at max. What do you think I'm missing here? Thanks for your help.

well iaresee, I followed your excellent instructions exactly and it worked, ie, i recorded my Axe pre-set with a backing track in GB. Axe recorded and played back with the BT,, but the Axe volume was way down in relation to my GB backing track - to get any balance I had to roll BT back to 1 and push Axe lead up to 10 so that's not normal and i'm clearly doing something wrong.
In Axe Edit, Amp Input Master Vol is at max, and Axe front panel Output was also at max. What do you think I'm missing here? Thanks for your help.
It's very hard for me to answer this -- the volume of your backing tracks is unknown to me. We often have to move sliders around to balance mixes so that, in and of itself, is not surprising. If you like to provide a backing track stem (you can DM me a link) I can try and record against it in GB and tell you what I experience.

Hi iaresee, I have a problem du to a new computer - working under mac OS High Sierra - and I don't find the first windows you presented for ajusting to 48K.
I have "conflict between Audio and GarageBand" windows when I recording and before there is a saturated sounds on the new track. And I cannot listen all the others tracks (during recording).
Do you have any solutions please ?
thank you

Steph

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2018-08-16 à 15.20.56.png
    Capture d’écran 2018-08-16 à 15.20.56.png
    69.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Capture d’écran 2018-08-16 à 15.21.16.png
    Capture d’écran 2018-08-16 à 15.21.16.png
    66 KB · Views: 8
Hi iaresee, I have a problem du to a new computer - working under mac OS High Sierra - and I don't find the first windows you presented for ajusting to 48K.
The first window is from an application called Audio MIDI Setup. It’s not a GarageBand window.

I have "conflict between Audio and GarageBand" windows when I recording and before there is a saturated sounds on the new track. And I cannot listen all the others tracks (during recording).
Do you have any solutions please ?
thank you

Steph

I ran GB on Mac on High Sierra and here’s how o did it.

In Audio/Midi settings it looked different. Axe-FX ll was already set to 48k. In addition to this I had to click on the left menu "Built-in Input" and change the format to "2 ch 24-bit Integer 48.0kHz".
I also clicked on left menu "Built-in Output" format to "2 ch 24-bit Integer 48.0kHz" as well. I also changed Built in mic to the same settings. Not sure if it was necessary to change all of them to that format but it's now recording from my Axe-Fx using his setup with no issues.

I ran GB on Mac on High Sierra and here’s how o did it.

In Audio/Midi settings it looked different. Axe-FX ll was already set to 48k. In addition to this I had to click on the left menu "Built-in Input" and change the format to "2 ch 24-bit Integer 48.0kHz".
I also clicked on left menu "Built-in Output" format to "2 ch 24-bit Integer 48.0kHz" as well. I also changed Built in mic to the same settings. Not sure if it was necessary to change all of them to that format but it's now recording from my Axe-Fx using his setup with no issues.
Shouldn’t have been necessary but it doesn’t hurt.

I launched AxeFX II that I listening very well on GarageBand, I recorded a track, but it is impossible to listen the track. I don't understand.
All seems well connected (GarageBand Preferences are on Axe FX II in and out selected. Audio/Midi setup 48k 24bit in and out. o_O

thank you in advance

I launched AxeFX II that I listening very well on GarageBand, I recorded a track, but it is impossible to listen the track. I don't understand.
All seems well connected (GarageBand Preferences are on Axe FX II in and out selected. Audio/Midi setup 48k 24bit in and out. o_O

thank you in advance
and after disconnected the Axe FxII and returning with the audio from the mac, the sound of the track recorded is quite saturated.

Back
Top Bottom