USB Powering Screen and LEDs

mferrand

Inspired
To All,

I received my FM3 2 days ago. Trying to get my head wrapped around the new switching arrangements. I came into my studio early (dark) this morning and to my surprise the FM3 was glowing away. I had turned the power off last night but had left the USB cable plugged in.

1 - The screen was glowing but blank and the Input / Status LEDs were glowing.

vCXHEt3.jpg

2 - I turned the power switch on but the unit would not boot up. After unplugging the USB cable the unit booted normally

bgeR4c0.jpg

3 - When I turn off the power switch, the screen stays lit but blank and one footswitch stays on.

WTkIcua.jpg

I have repeated this a number of times with like results except for #3. The screen always stays lit, but footswitch and / or LED lights remain on.
What is going on??? With the unit powered, I can plug the USB cable and remove it with no issues.

Cheers, Mike

Last edited:
I turn mine off every night, and leave it connected via USB to a MAC.
It completely turns off, every time.
Boots normally in the morning ....still connected to a live , sleeping MAC.

What are you connected to via USB ?

I have worked with support on the same exact issue. They sent me an RMA to send it back but this doesn't seem like a hardware failure (not like I am an expert though???). I've been able to get it to work by unplugging like you and powering on. Small inconvenience....however after removing all devices in midi studio and upgrading the firmware I was able to consistently get it to boot withe cable plugged in without issue....this morning the problems are back. FM3 edit was freaking out for a moment and not showing preset names...had to reinstall that. Problems started happening after using the axe fx 3 and then going back to FM3 that was powered off. Could be coincidence though Not running through a hub and also had same issues on a macbook that doesnt get used for anything so midi studio was empty

This issue was also happening on another mac with only a few midi devices that showed in midi studio.
Maybe isolate, lol, your FM3 from your AXE3...and AX3 edit....see how that goes ?
Yes, this was my thought this morning when it all happened. That's what I meant when I didnt know if this was a coincidence. Believe me....I've been working this for several days so there isnt much I haven't tried but this morning, using the axe fx 3 and then jumping to powering on FM3 seemed to start the issue again so yes, seems like it may be related. Inconvenient but related.

I had a similar issue with the white screen on power up after it's been off a while. Turning off/on it would boot but then USB stopped working all together. Notified support, they wanted the unit back for repair. Unfortunately they're working with a skeleton crew and repairs are not happening for the foreseeable. I asked for a replacement, no response yet.

The asked for my unit back as well. Since it’s sporadic and others are having the issue I’m still wondering if this isn’t a firmware issue, unless they know for sure it’s hardware related. Obviously they are the experts, but since we seem to have many other users experiencing it....I’ve also sent a note asking these questions. Not to be stubborn. I just don’t want to send back the unit only for them to discover it is in fact fixable via firmware and then they just send my unit back. Hard to be without it when we just got it.

I had a similar issue with the white screen on power up after it's been off a while. Turning off/on it would boot but then USB stopped working all together. Notified support, they wanted the unit back for repair. Unfortunately they're working with a skeleton crew and repairs are not happening for the foreseeable. I asked for a replacement, no response yet.
Yes, and when I turn it off after a while...white screen as well, but another reboot works fine.

The asked for my unit back as well. Since it’s sporadic and others are having the issue I’m still wondering if this isn’t a firmware issue, unless they know for sure it’s hardware related. Obviously they are the experts, but since we seem to have many other users experiencing it....I’ve also sent a note asking these questions. Not to be stubborn. I just don’t want to send back the unit only for them to discover it is in fact fixable via firmware and then they just send my unit back. Hard to be without it when we just got it.
I know, had mine for 4 days. If you can get by for now I'd hold off until the repair dept is working again. I would've waited to send mine back but USB stopped working altogether. Still hoping to hear back that they can send a replacement.

I know, had mine for 4 days. If you can get by for now I'd hold off until the repair dept is working again. I would've waited to send mine back but USB stopped working altogether. Still hoping to hear back that they can send a replacement.
Ah ok...you sent it back already. Mine started working after removing all devices from midi studio on the macs. Still not sure if that fixed it. It seemed to still lock up on me until a few reboots. Being that I can get it to consistently boot and get USB to work by keeping the USB cable unplugged during power up confuses me that it is hardware related, but I'm no expert. Just trying to approach it logically.

Maybe they want some units back so they can troubleshoot to determine if it IS in fact hardware related or fixable by firmware. Being that it works by unplugging and powering up....then plugging in USB.

Maybe they want some units back so they can troubleshoot to determine if it IS in fact hardware related or fixable by firmware. Being that it works by unplugging and powering up....then plugging in USB.
I was told the repair department isn't working during this crisis so no one will be looking at it for a while. Unplugging/plugging back in didn't jump start my USB.

Back
Top Bottom