USB Intermittently Not Working

orion32773

Experienced
A few times today I have powered on the FM3 and could not get FM3 Edit to connect. I am using a Mac but have tried other cables and Macs. Usually after about the 3rd or 4th time of powering off and back on, FM3 edit will connect. Fractalbot does not recognize it either during the outage. Sometimes the unit will get stuck on the splash screen as well. I just finished flashing the firmware again and it's stuck on the splash screen after reboot. It will eventually power on and the USB will work but I am seeing if others have seen similar behavior. Usually to get it to reboot properly, I have to unplug the USB cable. Once I do that I can hear a fan come on and then the progress bar and then it finishes the reboot. Maybe I just need to always turn it on without the USB cable plugged in.

I've had it happen a couple times, but usually powering the FM3 off and on once fixes it for me. I dont have the boot behavior though, just the lack of USB communication.

When this happens, close FM3-Edit, toggle power on the FM3, and then start FM3-Edit.

Unfortunately that hasn’t worked for me. As of right now, as long as I power the unit up with the usb cable unplugged, it will boot ok and then I plug the usb cable in, launch FM3 edit and it works but powering on the unit with usb plugged in will produce random freezing and loss of usb connectivity. Hoping future firmware can address this.

If it's just buggy FW, that's fine for me. So far, powering on without the USB cable in has helped with both the unit freezing on the splash screen as well as loss of USB.

I have had my FM3 about a month now. I leave it perm connected to my Mac via USB, High Sierra 10.13.6
I turn it on every morning....it boots normally and syncs to FM3 Edit always.

Only on two occasions have I had issues:
1) Import of loaded AF3 patch, hung unit and FM3 Edit. Restart both required,
2) Once while making changes to Stand in switches settings at FM3, it lost communication with Edit. Needed whole restart, Mac and FM3 and Edit.
So for the most part very stable experience here.

Unrelated but there is a known preset
that is causing the FM3 to crash
as per AdminM on TGP there will be a new batch of presets coming this week

I have had my FM3 about a month now. I leave it perm connected to my Mac via USB, High Sierra 10.13.6
I turn it on every morning....it boots normally and syncs to FM3 Edit always.

Only on two occasions have I had issues:
1) Import of loaded AF3 patch, hung unit and FM3 Edit. Restart both required,
2) Once while making changes to Stand in switches settings at FM3, it lost communication with Edit. Needed whole restart, Mac and FM3 and Edit.
So for the most part very stable experience here.
Hoping this is all just FW related. Thanks for chiming in!

Factory presets come preloaded so not much of a choice unless start fresh and leave out that entire bank from the ones you download from the fractal website. Maybe I’m wrong here.

Try using a hub.
If you have a hub try removing it and connecting.
Try a different era laptop to connect with if possible.

went through a hub, newer macbook pro, old imac, ports on back of imac, eyc. Only consistent way is to boot is by disconnecting USB and booting up first. Haven't had an issue as of yet but this isnt ideal obviously. Hope to see a FW fix at some point.

went through a hub, newer macbook pro, old imac, ports on back of imac, eyc. Only consistent way is to boot is by disconnecting USB and booting up first. Haven't had an issue as of yet but this isnt ideal obviously. Hope to see a FW fix at some point.
That's good news. I have a couple of MacBooks of a certain era that refuse to connect. (Sadly I do not have access to them during the CV Crisis.)

Yep I’m cool for now but it would be nice to have some reassurance that others are having the issue so I know it’s FW related. Might submit a ticket to them just to log something at least for the record.

It appears that unplugging the USB from powered off FM3 before powering it on seems to solved the issue! I never had this issue until recently. Hopefully it is a FW thing. Either, at least now, after hours spent troubleshooting, I have a solution and can get to work.

For what it's worth - I also suddenly had trouble connecting to FM3 with my imac a week ago. Did lots of troubleshooting along with G66 support, but did not get it reconnected. FM3 works fine on my windows machine and also on my friend's mac.
Thinking the problem was my mac so I reset the whole machine. Still did not work. Connected the FM3 to a USB hub and got reconnected. So now it works via USB hub, but not directly into the mac.
All other usb devices works fine. Hope it is a bug in the FM3 software that can be fixed....

I’m using an M1 Mac and Typically if the FM3 is on prior to powering on the Mac, the FM3 won’t connect. If I power on the FM3 once the Mac is already on, it connects. Also, simply unplugging the usb and plugging it back in fixes it without power cycling.

Back
Top Bottom