USB Audio Output Goes Bitcrushed After Extended Use?

mine does it too its really sad that a 2500 dollar unit is messing up with usb hook up i have had trouble with my axe2 on my mac since day i got the axe and i was looking foward to useing the usb reamping well it did not work nor did the firm wear update i couldent use the update cause thats the part of the usb that dont work on mac which thats a major let down so i have not been able to use it so i used my wifes laptop and it half ass worked to up date the axe i just got a new mac i7 2.6 intel 16 gig ram fusion drive brand new 10.8.2 was told it would work usb wise well it still has the same issues recording is messed up it fizzed out a few times and its like static really bad and shouldent have to restart my mac thats really frustrating while recording i use logic 9 all up to date my usb ports are 3.0 not any issues with any of my other usb gear it all works fine no issues and its only the axe fx it will work for a little bit and fuzz out bad and just stop making any sound at all i checked if the audio setting has changed and it still is set to axe fx this is a major issue with this unit and should be looked at and fixed i also have installed the driver and uninstalled it reinstalled it again and it dont change anything i can use my maudio interface with no issues as well it has never failed or fuzzed out during a recording session hope this is looked at and maybe a new mac driver is updated to solve this problem theres alot of mac users that dont use windows based systems and would like to have the axe working for us as well since its such a high priced unit it should work like a one as well i love the sounds and other things it can do but really it needs to be working on both mac and windows based systems well and still have not seen any updates on axe edit yet says 2013 does that mean late dec im just a little frustrated on how this thing works its always something not working right or well you use a mac or it needs a update to solve it these things should have been tested better before releasing it to the public

Wow, it also looks like it's screwing with your "." key on your shiny new mac! Please fix this part of the bug too! (sorry, couldn't resist! :twisted)

mine does it too its really sad that a 2500 dollar unit is messing up with usb hook up i have had trouble with my axe2 on my mac since day i got the axe and i was looking foward to useing the usb reamping well it did not work nor did the firm wear update i couldent use the update cause thats the part of the usb that dont work on mac which thats a major let down so i have not been able to use it so i used my wifes laptop and it half ass worked to up date the axe i just got a new mac i7 2.6 intel 16 gig ram fusion drive brand new 10.8.2 was told it would work usb wise well it still has the same issues recording is messed up it fizzed out a few times and its like static really bad and shouldent have to restart my mac thats really frustrating while recording i use logic 9 all up to date my usb ports are 3.0 not any issues with any of my other usb gear it all works fine no issues and its only the axe fx it will work for a little bit and fuzz out bad and just stop making any sound at all i checked if the audio setting has changed and it still is set to axe fx this is a major issue with this unit and should be looked at and fixed i also have installed the driver and uninstalled it reinstalled it again and it dont change anything i can use my maudio interface with no issues as well it has never failed or fuzzed out during a recording session hope this is looked at and maybe a new mac driver is updated to solve this problem theres alot of mac users that dont use windows based systems and would like to have the axe working for us as well since its such a high priced unit it should work like a one as well i love the sounds and other things it can do but really it needs to be working on both mac and windows based systems well and still have not seen any updates on axe edit yet says 2013 does that mean late dec im just a little frustrated on how this thing works its always something not working right or well you use a mac or it needs a update to solve it these things should have been tested better before releasing it to the public

when they "fix there problems i will fix mine" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just spend thus amount of money it should work better !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! like my new "mac" works "flawless and is super fast "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! axe is twice the price and dont work flawless !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ugh kinda like windows and blue screen and ohh "virus" funny never do i never have that problem !!!!!! lol

Dude - how did you say all of that without taking a breath? Can you do circular breathing like Kenny G?

On a serious note, I am running a MacBook Pro I7 and have never gotten the bit crusher sound, but every once in awhile the latency will go to 2-3 seconds or more. I will play a passage, take my guitar off, and put it on the stand, and I will then hear the passage I just played. The only way to fix it is to reboot LOGIC 9 and the Axe. I don't rely on recording or guitar to make my living, so when it happens about once every 4-5 times I sit for an evening to tinker with recording, I just save my work, and reboot. I am a little concerned to read that this doesn't have with Windows machines, as I took the plunge and switched to Mac about 18 months ago, which was about 6 months before i purchased my Axe II.

I just upgraded my Mac memory from 4 to 16 RAM, but I haven't tried to record anything since doing this. So, I don't know if the increase in RAM would appease and rectify this tendency to fail after 45mins to an hour like the guys have reported.

PS - no punctuation was harmed during this post.

Is your Mom okay with you using the internet?

The same problems appears all the time with my iMac i7 :| I use cubase (but the bug appears even in "USB interface mode"). The only thing helps is putting check mark in "Release Driver When Application is in Background" checkbox, that is in DEVICE---->DEVICE SETUP---->VST audio system section, and switching to desktop or other window when sound starts to distort.
Very unpleasant defect for such perfect device…

I'm not so sure it's an Axe-fx II issue... I have a Creative Labs EMU 0404 USB connected along with the Axe-fx II and the 'bit-crushing' effect only happens on the EMU and will only get fixed by power cycling the EMU. It also happens when I don't have the Axe-fx II connected to my system as well. In my case it seems to happen when the audio gets overloaded with too much audio output (meaning I play my stuff loud). I would almost bet you wouldn't have that issue if you kept your audio below clipping at all times. Not saying that the Axe-fx II isn't the culprit in some instances but it doesn't appear to be in my setup. I never experienced this with any other audio device prior to the EMU/Axe-fx... but then again I was always a WDM driver guy with my MOTU 24i. I'm gonna say this is probably an ASIO Driver issue more than an Axe-fx issue.

So maybe this is a good time to throw in my on-going request for WDM drivers!

Only a wild guess by a part-time programmer; but as the effect seems to be time-based (doesn't happen immediately and the time span for the effect to appear is almost random), I think it's a Memory issue, probably a Memory leak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. The thing that Kont mentiones as a solution makes me think it's a Driver issue.

i had a macbook Pro 13" with this problem, then an iMac 27" and now a Macbook Air. Every single device had and still has problems with the AXE II. It's really driving me nuts that a over gear over 2000€ is not working right on Mac. Even the cheapest modeling amps work fine with USB and never had any Audio Interface that had problems with my Mac (and I've tested a lot).
There are issues with the AXE II usb since it's release but Cliff says that it's Apples fault BUT there are hundreds of usb audio interfaces out there that work fine so this statement doesn't make sense at all.

haha funny guy mr x !!!!! but im not a kid and i dont think a kid is going to have a 6000 plus dollar guitar rig and studio set up .... and i own my house and my daughter is 10 and i have been playing for 25 years so maybe you might guess again or not at all ...before judging someone by the way they type . i hate typing and dont care if its all the "right way and or proper way to type " i can shred the 7 and 8 string thats all that matters really and when you buy something you expect it to work right !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Happens to me a few times per session on a Win7 well-specced machine too in all firmwares I've used, so I'd agree it's not a firmware or solely a Mac issue.

There are issues with the AXE II usb since it's release but Cliff says that it's Apples fault BUT there are hundreds of usb audio interfaces out there that work fine so this statement doesn't make sense at all.
AFAIK - it IS apple's fault. Let's do a little clarification here as to why the issues presented in this thread may NOT be an issue with a "$2500" product.

• FAS uses sysex data streams (part of the MIDI spec) to control much of the Axe. It's not all sysex and it's not all straight MIDI PC/CC changes. Many MIDI/USB devices do not fully support that spec. This has been an issue for years on both Mac/Win platforms. Data streams are truncated, not processed completely, etc.
  • Apple is notorious (and horrendous) for NOT admitting issues with their software/drivers. IIRC - (my memory is a little fuzzy on the exact details, so maybe the older forum member can correct me) it took over a year for FAS to even get Apple to admit they had an issue with their USB drivers, and Apple's response was a fix in a future OS upgrade (I forget which one that was). I have personally identified SECURITY FLAWS with Safari (part of my real job) that Apple has refused to acknowledge as being a problem. They still exist in the current release of that product. It's easy to deny when you are a "closed shop". Remember the maps issue with the i5 when it was released... they only acknowledged it after 100,000's of complaints.
  • Windows has similar issues with MIDI over USB.

Food for thought ?

So maybe we (all who have such problem) should send collective complaint to Apple and remind them about customers rights? After all, we are Apple customers also…

p.s. Honestly speaking, this BUG turns recording sessions to HELL!

AFAIK - it IS apple's fault. Let's do a little clarification here as to why the issues presented in this thread may NOT be an issue with a "$2500" product.

• FAS uses sysex data streams (part of the MIDI spec) to control much of the Axe. It's not all sysex and it's not all straight MIDI PC/CC changes. Many MIDI/USB devices do not fully support that spec. This has been an issue for years on both Mac/Win platforms. Data streams are truncated, not processed completely, etc.
  • Apple is notorious (and horrendous) for NOT admitting issues with their software/drivers. IIRC - (my memory is a little fuzzy on the exact details, so maybe the older forum member can correct me) it took over a year for FAS to even get Apple to admit they had an issue with their USB drivers, and Apple's response was a fix in a future OS upgrade (I forget which one that was). I have personally identified SECURITY FLAWS with Safari (part of my real job) that Apple has refused to acknowledge as being a problem. They still exist in the current release of that product. It's easy to deny when you are a "closed shop". Remember the maps issue with the i5 when it was released... they only acknowledged it after 100,000's of complaints.

Food for thought ?

The question that is never addressed when people pass the blame to Apple is why do so many other interfaces work perfectly on a Mac? I've used many over the years, from low end to high, and the Axe II is the only one that has these issues. Every time I ask this question, it gets glossed over.

Does Apple just not like FAS and choose to sabotage their drivers while allowing most others to work flawlessly? Please explain what I'm missing here.

my Yamaha 01V96i, with USB audio functionality, has the same bit-crushed problem. it too has a driver i have to install. so it's not just FAS.

the question is, how do all these other USB interfaces not have the problem? but it's definitely not just fractal.

I hope that FAS start writing their own OSX drivers at some stage. The whole class-compliant thing doesn't work. When I bought the axe I was planning to use it as my primary interface, however I had to buy another one because the drivers don't work correctly.

Food for thought ?

The question that is never addressed when people pass the blame to Apple is why do so many other interfaces work perfectly on a Mac? I've used many over the years, from low end to high, and the Axe II is the only one that has these issues. Every time I ask this question, it gets glossed over.

Does Apple just not like FAS and choose to sabotage their drivers while allowing most others to work flawlessly? Please explain what I'm missing here.

That's exactly what I'm talking about! I don't understand the part why the AXE II isn't working an so many other Interfaces are working flawless. So where exactly is the Problem with the AXE II USB? Too me it seems like you/FAS knows where the problem is so tell us that we can get this endless discussion to an end and make a collective complaint document as a sticky thread.

I hope that FAS start writing their own OSX drivers at some stage. The whole class-compliant thing doesn't work. When I bought the axe I was planning to use it as my primary interface, however I had to buy another one because the drivers don't work correctly.
well... I've sold my Ultra AND my Interface to afford the AXE II. Thought i wouldn't need the Interface anymore. This was a lesson for me... a pretty expensive one...

Back
Top Bottom