USB Adapter mode is gone, so what are the MIDI over USB capabilities now?

vangrieg

Fractal Fanatic
It seems there’s no USB Adapter mode in the III. So I’m curious what this means.

1. My understanding is that I can still send MIDI messages from my DAW to change presets, scenes etc. Right?
2. The opposite is also true - the Scene MIDI block can send messages over USB, right?
3. What about a controller connected to the III’s MIDI ports? Can I use it to launch playback in my DAW? Can the III function as the II did with “MFC Echo to MIDI Out” enabled?
4. Can I connect other gear (another Axe-FX, for example), to the III’s MIDI port so as to send messages to this gear from my DAW?

Thanks for the answers in advance!

It seems there’s no USB Adapter mode in the III. So I’m curious what this means.

1. My understanding is that I can still send MIDI messages from my DAW to change presets, scenes etc. Right?
2. The opposite is also true - the Scene MIDI block can send messages over USB, right?
3. What about a controller connected to the III’s MIDI ports? Can I use it to launch playback in my DAW? Can the III function as the II did with “MFC Echo to MIDI Out” enabled?
4. Can I connect other gear (another Axe-FX, for example), to the III’s MIDI port so as to send messages to this gear from my DAW?

Thanks for the answers in advance!
This is what I found on the manual:

"CC messages can be sent by a MIDI controller or computer connected to the Axe-Fx III MIDI IN jack, or via the USB connection of the Axe-Fx III"

"Q: Can I use a computer or external MIDI controller to remote control the Axe‑Fx III?
A: Yes. The Axe‑Fx III has a rich MIDI spec which allows it to be remote controlled. Using a computer, you can use the built-in USB connection for “MIDI-over-USB”, rather than relying on a 3rd party MIDI interface. "

So it seems #1 is true. No answer for 2, 3 and 4

Hi,
I have problems here too.
I used a II in USB Mode to programm (and use "FCB1010 Editor"). Now I got my III and I cannot find anything like that mode.
Actually the III/driver should be able to work as normal a midi-controler, no? Anything else would be step back from the II.
What must I do to configure the III that it forwards the "Midi in" from my FCB to the Computer ("FCb1010 Editor")?

thanks
Frank

Hi,
I have problems here too.
I used a II in USB Mode to programm (and use "FCB1010 Editor"). Now I got my III and I cannot find anything like that mode.
Actually the III/driver should be able to work as normal a midi-controler, no? Anything else would be step back from the II.
What must I do to configure the III that it forwards the "Midi in" from my FCB to the Computer ("FCb1010 Editor")?

thanks
Frank
You do nothing. It isn't possible. Buy a USB to midi adapter...

You do nothing. It isn't possible. Buy a USB to midi adapter...
Wow, that a big step back imo. It was very convenient to program the FC through the axe since I was aber to check results without having to mess around with frequent cable switching.
Ans since all the commercials about the III praise It as a complete studio interface now I never even thought that this important interface function could disappear!
Maybe FAS could do something here??

Midi to USB cables are like $5 on EBay and work great. I have a bunch for my old master controller keybOards which were from the days before everything having usb.

Midi to USB cables are like $5 on EBay and work great. I have a bunch for my old master controller keybOards which were from the days before everything having usb.
Those 5$ adapters may work fine with normal midi messages (Cc, Pc, Notes, etc.) but as soon as you transmit sysex they go nuts.
Better use a proper midi interface.

Reactions: Rex
I can send midi via usb from my iPad (with camera adapter) or computer, currently running firmware v2.0 beta. The axe3 shows up as a midi port without any additional settings. At the moment, I use the Lemur app (touch screen midi controller) either hardwired via usb or via WiFi to a MacBook that is connected via usb to the 3. No issues

I’m currently looking into whether data sent via usb is passed to the Midi thru or out ports, and will post my findings. I’m trying to set communication between the 3, Lemur, and a LF+ controller so any state change is registered by all three devices.

Joe

Last edited:
Those 5$ adapters may work fine with normal midi messages (Cc, Pc, Notes, etc.) but as soon as you transmit sysex they go nuts.
Better use a proper midi interface.
This. Forum members here have had their share of headaches with cheap MIDI-to-USB adapters.

I can send midi via usb from my iPad (with camera adapter) or computer, currently running firmware v2.0 beta. The axe3 shows up as a midi port without any additional settings. At the moment, I use the Lemur app (touch screen midi controller) either hardwired via usb or via WiFi to a MacBook that is connected via usb to the 3. No issues

I’m currently looking into whether data sent via usb is passed to the Midi thru or out ports, and will post my findings. I’m trying to set communication between the 3, Lemur, and a LF+ controller so any state change is registered by all three devices.

Joe
The information released thus far for the FCx indicates that the FC can cause the Axe III can be triggered to send MIDI commands. So the Axe has some ability to act as a MIDI hub.

The manual states:
MIDI Ports — The MIDI IN port of the Axe-Fx III allows you to control various MIDI functions including preset and scene selection, effect bypass, channel changes, parameter changes, and more. Messages received at the MIDI IN port are passed to the MIDI THRU port. The MIDI OUT port transmits MIDI data to connected devices.

See “The MIDI/Remote Menu” on p. 154 for details on how to configure the MIDI Channel and other options. MIDI messages can also be transmitted by presets or by the Scene MIDI block, see “The Scene MIDI Block” on p. 125.

I will be surprised if MIDI commands sent over USB are not output at MIDI thru.

Can you control knobs with CCs now or is it still just sysex? I'm hoping I can set up a USB midi controller through the DAW for dedicated amp knob control for quick noodling around

Edit: use an "external controller" modifier mapped to the knob CC from the DAW...? I seen the yellow LEDs on the amp knobs now, I think before u couldn't put modifiers on them is why it needed sysex. I'm going to build a rig that doesn't even need to change presets, it's going to have 4 layers of velocity sensitive modifier controlled amps and effects that turns up the gain and turns on reverbs when you play hard, cleans up and turns on tremolo and mod when you brush the strings.

Last edited:
Can you control knobs with CCs now or is it still just sysex? I'm hoping I can set up a USB midi controller through the DAW for dedicated amp knob control for quick noodling around

Edit: use an "external controller" modifier mapped to the knob CC from the DAW...? I seen the yellow LEDs on the amp knobs now, I think before u couldn't put modifiers on them is why it needed sysex. I'm going to build a rig that doesn't even need to change presets, it's going to have 4 layers of velocity sensitive modifier controlled amps and effects that turns up the gain and turns on reverbs when you play hard, cleans up and turns on tremolo and mod when you brush the strings.
What does this have to do with USB Adapter Mode?

I used to do that when I was little, pick fights and act a busy body in other people's business and then act surprised at the response I received. You know what I got allot? Punched in the fat face. That's why I'm nice today. If you were a moderator I'd be more understanding but it seems like you're just the granddaddy troll in this arena, not just with me.

Midi over USB...does the AFX3 send bus power over USB for a controller, do any of the midi ports send phantom power...does USB midi work with a USB-B to USB-B adapter...these are the questions that keep me up at night waiting on my 3rd fractal audio computer. I probably need to read the manual some more so FAS quits face palming.

Last edited:
...does the AFX3 send bus power over USB for a controller...
No. The Axe-Fx is a USB device, not a USB host. Only hosts are designed to power downstream devices.

...do any of the midi ports send phantom power...
No.

...does USB midi work with a USB-B to USB-B adapter...
No. In general, connecting two USB-B devices together won't work. You need a USB host.

...these are the questions that keep me up at night waiting on my 3rd fractal audio computer.
Sleep, my friend.

I probably need to read the manual some more...
Wouldn't hurt. :)

Follow up on my experiments: I have three devices that I'm trying to sync to each other, my III, a Liquid Foot + midi controller (attached via MIDI in and Out or thru {more on that in a bit}), and an ipad running Lemur (touch screen controller). Long story short: the III can't act as a midi hub in which messages from the III's Midi in is sent to the usb, nor can messages over usb be sent through the III's Out or Thru ports. So while both of the controllers can work with the III, they are "deaf" to each other. Even with running the LF in sync mode with the III, the three doesn't automatically send out state changes (e.g. changing something on the III itself or triggering a change from Lemur).

I thought that I could imitate something similar to what Axe-edit does, but I guess Axe-edit is periodically polling the III for total device sync. So then I would need to program the LF and Lemur to periodically poll the III, but it still wouldn't have the two controllers talking to each other. I might still play around with the capability, but it's not my main goal.

I've gone back to an older rig setup, using an iconnect Midi2+ to work as my midi hub, allowing the LF and Lemur to talk directly to each other and the III. But in this case, the III is essentially "dumb" as I use the presets in the LF to determine bypass and channel states (though I save scenes roughly mirroring the LF presets).

-joe

Back
Top Bottom