Wish Urei LA3A and Distressor

mrrippie

Any chance we could get great models of these 2 industry standard studio compressors for electric guitar?

Would be great for those of us who use the Axe FX in a studio set up to have 2 staples that tracking/mix engineers love to use on electrics.

Thanks for considering!

The LA series of compressors can be replicated with the optical type.

Link to quote by Cliff.

As for the distressor, a combination of a drive and compressor blocks might get you there. The only compressor I know that has any "colour" is the tube type, which might not fit the bill.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Ya I'm not looking at just having the "same type" compressor as an LA3A but an actual model of that actual unit.

There's a big difference in sound between an LA2A and an LA3A (or a dozen other optos) even while both are opto compressors. Kinda like you cant just grab any tube amp simulator and claim its specific to being a Marshall. Being that an LA3A is pretty simplistic in operation I would think I wouldn't be that crazy to emulate.

I have hardware distressors and realize they are a lot more complex though in operation and features so I could see that being a much tougher challenge to emulate.

Thanks for the reply. Ya I'm not looking at just having the "same type" compressor as an LA3A but an actual model of that actual unit.

There's a big difference in sound between an LA2A and an LA3A (or a dozen other optos) even while both are opto compressors. Kinda like you cant just grab any tube amp simulator and claim its specific to being a Marshall. Being that an LA3A is pretty simplistic in operation I would think I wouldn't be that crazy to emulate.

I have hardware distressors and realize they are a lot more complex though in operation and features so I could see that being a much tougher challenge to emulate.
You missed the last part of Cliff’s response:

...can be adjusted to sound like a variety of compressors. It has adjustable attack, release and compression.
Those parameters account for the differences between optical compressors.

Those parameters account for the differences between optical compressors.
Ya dude, not true in the least. Once again that's like saying you only need one tube amp model for all tube amps. How many specific guitar pedals have been modeled? Because while they might be the same type of distortion pedal, numerous factors (components/design/etc) result in a different sound.

An LA3A reissue sounds different than a vintage LA3A and thats the same brand/model (different transformers/components). Let alone the difference between a solid state LA3A vs. a tube LA2A etc.

To say different attack/release settings account for the difference between different brands/models of optical compressors just isn't right.

Back
Top Bottom