Upgrading from fx ii to xl

FASTER?!??!1

Oh lord... this is proof positive of how much influence our own interpretations have over the experiences we register. Unless the processing compenents of the Axe XL are truly different in design, or revision, ie, TigerSHARC "B2", then there could be no reason why any performance differences would be present. Extra flash based storage memory would have zero influence on this.

Digital modeling is truly a pandoras box of placebo effect.

In fact, I hope the next unit Fractal makes is the Fractal Axe Placebo III.

WOW so much rage over nothing. Peeps seem a little jealous not to have a sweet AXE FX 2 XL. Placebo or not mine runs faster for me so I win. BAHAHAH.

PS the new flash drive would make a slight difference.

The only thing faster I noticed is the jog wheel- it definitely moves things along. I've blown past presets like a hurricane compared to my II.

WOW so much rage over nothing. Peeps seem a little jealous not to have a sweet AXE FX 2 XL. Placebo or not mine runs faster for me so I win. BAHAHAH.

PS the new flash drive would make a slight difference.

Yep, that's it alright... I just can't stand that you have a "bigger" piece of hardware than I do. I'm sure my wife will leave me at once when she learns of it.

I am however frustrated by the amount of poor information that spreads the internet in regards to these sorts of things. So many people sell and buy hardware on the opinion of others, just to learn those opinions were incorrect and their experience becomes a negative one.

I'm glad you "feel" the performance is faster... AND, if Cliff is able to verify some form of hardware revision differences with the processing units themselves, then it would most certainly be possible. But, as I'm somewhat familiar with Analog Devices and their TigerSHARC products, I'm fairly confident with my knowledge that there have been no hardware revisions capable of such a transformation.

Also, I simply can not imagine how the flash drive would not make a difference in terms of noticable performance, patches are so incredibly small, you could load them from a 20 year old floppy drive and it would be the same speed. The system wouldn't boot any faster from the increased preset storage space either, in fact if anything it would only have a negative impact... assuming during the BOOT process, the system does a full scan of all available storage space looking for errors. Thus, more storage, more time required to scan.

Bottom line, there just aren't enough changes to impact performance. But, I'm happy for you that you think so. ;)

Reactions: BBN
I tested both on start up several times. The XL seems to start up ~ a second faster using a stopwatch.

If someone is buying something off my opinion then that's their stupidity.

Thanks for the massive paragraph devoted to me. I feel like your mistress being scolded.

You also didnt factor in that perhaps my old axe fx 2 had its own issues and thats why I am seeing difference. Whatever the reason there is a difference sir and thats all my point was.

If someone is buying something off my opinion then that's their stupidity.

Thanks for the massive paragraph devoted to me. I feel like your mistress being scolded.

You also didnt factor in that perhaps my old axe fx 2 had its own issues and thats why I am seeing difference. Whatever the reason there is a difference sir and thats all my point was.

I would argue the level of conversation you've provided is far more suggestive of someone less interested in facts and more interested in have the "better" toys. People do buy products based on your opinion, yours, mine, others, it all factors in.

You and I both know many people who own an Axe FX II will dump them to eventually buy an Axe FX II XL. For no reason beyond a ridiculous need to have the "best". Differences be damned.

Oh and FRAC checkmate mate! That second burns doesnt it?

I'm hoping this is sarcasm. Plus or minus less than a second is not something I would consider noticable difference.

I tested both on start up several times. The XL seems to start up ~ a second faster using a stopwatch.

One second faster startup!! Sell the FX2 and buy an XL!! If you turned on the XL 3 times a day every day for 5 years, that would be over 91 minutes of time saved. You could see a short movie using that free time created! (well, very slowly over a 5 year period that is). :D

Oh and Frac that second feels like an hour to me because it allowed me to win this ridiculous debate! Victory is mine!

I also will preface every future post with "Do not listen to idiots on the internet before you buy something. Contact the manufacturers directly and read reviews written by certified groups. This idiot does not take responsibility for your life decisions"

That takes care of that. Gday sir.

Point was there was a difference and it was not placebo.

Main reason for XL is for the extra cab space and presets. Nuff said.

I'd appreciate more scientific evidence than the records of a stop watch over several power cycles allowing the suggestion of about a second faster. There are days it feels like my Axe FX Ultra's take more time to boot than other days, but I know that's not the case, it's simply my interpretation of the time passing by. Doesn't mean I can cement an argument on it.

As for the XL, yes, now that I agree with you on 100%. For extra cabs, storage space, etc. totally worth it then. It's a fantastic product. I'd love to own one for those features alone.

Oh and Frac that second feels like an hour to me because it allowed me to win this ridiculous debate! Victory is mine!

I also will preface every future post with "Do not listen to idiots on the internet before you buy something. Contact the manufacturers directly and read reviews written by certified groups. This idiot does not take responsibility for your life decisions"

That takes care of that. Gday sir.

Now THIS I can tell is sarcasm, and for that, well played. ;)

One second faster startup!! Sell the FX2 and buy an XL!! If you turned on the XL 3 times a day every day for 5 years, that would be over 91 minutes of time saved. You could see a short movie using that free time created! (well, very slowly over a 5 year period that is). :D

Like I said, I didn't really notice it. I don't sit and stare at the thing when it starts up :). But, it is there for whatever reason.

I don't understand why Axe FX "boot-up" time is even talked about. It mostly comes up in about a second for me, MUCH faster than any other multi-effects processor I ever had. It's a non-event. The 5 seconds it took for my Zoom G3x to be ready to play was no issue whatever either. That's about the time it took for me to reach over and get me guitar anyway.

I guess I love the extra storage for presets and cabs, although a LOT of the presets are pretty unusable in a real musical context and I've already cleared out more than half of them to make even more room, so that's not a big deal for me. 384 slots for GOOD presets are more than enough. As for the cabs, well because of the fact that they can't move if they are used in presets (which sucks but I can't think how this would be a solvable problem by FA), the extra presets become much more important.

I don't understand why Axe FX "boot-up" time is even talked about. It mostly comes up in about a second for me, MUCH faster than any other multi-effects processor I ever had. It's a non-event. The 5 seconds it took for my Zoom G3x to be ready to play was no issue whatever either. That's about the time it took for me to reach over and get me guitar anyway.

I guess I love the extra storage for presets and cabs, although a LOT of the presets are pretty unusable in a real musical context and I've already cleared out more than half of them to make even more room, so that's not a big deal for me. 384 slots for GOOD presets are more than enough. As for the cabs, well because of the fact that they can't move if they are used in presets (which sucks but I can't think how this would be a solvable problem by FA), the extra presets become much more important.

Doesn't matter to me. Not a selling point. Just thought I'd check. I got no dog in this fight.

Its not important at all other than my winning a debate against my main man FRAC. Its also a good place to start for proving the XL is slightly faster (but by no means worth bragging about or upgrading for). To each their own in regards to cabs and presets amounts desired. I personally am a patch/cab junkie so upgrading for that alone was worth it.

Yes there is too little playing going on here! Back to rock!

Back
Top Bottom