Upgrade question

rowen

Hi All!

I suspect this might have already been covered here ... somewhere ... but I can't seem to find it.... So forgive me if I am asking redundant questions...

I'm thinking about upgrading my Axe FX Mk II to the latest III.

1) Will my MFC-101 still work?
2) Can I port over my patches from my Mk II?

Thanks!

-Ro

Yes and no. It will work as a basic MIDI controller. You lose a lot of the deeper integration and the FASLink or Ether-Con connection support; it works over plain old MIDI cable with the III.

Yes, but expect lots of differences and poor results. You can use FracTool for the conversion.

Hi All!

I suspect this might have already been covered here ... somewhere ... but I can't seem to find it.... So forgive me if I am asking redundant questions...

I'm thinking about upgrading my Axe FX Mk II to the latest III.

Thanks!

-Ro

1) Yes, to an extent. I still use my MFC-101 with the AxeFX3 with great success. The only thing you wouldn't get is bidirectional midi. No tuner and no tap-tempo light. (Note: you can still use tap-tempo functions). If you have MFC-edit or want to name your presets manually you can also do it.

2) yes, to an extent. Not a direct port, but a good starting point. Note that alot of the volume things will change due to the nature of how the AxeFX3 treats gain-staging and volume. They're just different.

I converted my favourite Ax8 patches and found I just ended up using them as foundations for better patches in the III, either my replacing parts and improving them or using the basic setup, Dirty Shirley into a V30 cab, as the starting point for a whole new preset

The III is such a jump in tone and capability I can't recommend it enough

I can't comment on the MFC-101 as I sold mine about a year before getting the Axe-fx III.

But compared to the II, the III is a sonically significant upgrade. It's more open sounding with more amp like compression behavior.

You can convert presets with FracTool but expect to do some tweaking, especially with amp blocks, drive blocks, wet/dry ratios, and gate settings.

If you can afford an FC pedal to go with the III do it. You won't be disappointed. I used my MFC for a while with the three. It's mostly usable. It will leave you wanting more. Get the FC if you can.

I never owned a II or and MFC-101 but just on the capabilities alone of the FC I would recommend you sell the MFC along with the II and get the FC. It’s incredibly flexible.

Back
Top Bottom