Updating your banks should be "mandatory"

erockomania

Experienced
Honestly, I normally don't update my banks. I was so attached to my patches that I don't want to have to go through the trouble of recreating them... until V10. Updating your banks in V10 should be suggested as mandatory in order to get proper patches. I'm in contact with several guitarists that have the AxII (I own a studio so I'm always in contact with guitarists) and many of them updated to V10 and were very underwhelmed.. many complained of clipping patches and completely mangled personal patches. I had the same issue... many patches were clipping the crap out of the output and i had to dial in gains on each. I finally said screw it and updated the banks. Well, it's like I have a new AxeFxII. Everything instantly sounded better and new patches seemed to fall in line quicker. After doing this, I got in touch with a few guitarists... 2 complained about the same sort of issues and one said all was fine... hmmm... well, I told them I updated and everything was copacetic again. They decided to do the same. Each of them told me that was the best thing they could have done and that now they LOVE V10 (before they didn't and were thinking about reverting).

I think updating your patches should be strongly suggested for V10 to behave like it should. Worked for 2 out of 3 of my contacts, including me.

:ugeek

I agree. Many of the factory presets I passed by before have caught my ear and my custom patches, once I dialed them in, sound MUCH better. If people take 2-3 hours and really go through stuff, they will be pleasantly surprised.

Hmm, thinking about doing this. Not sure how it can make the Axe sound better, seems kind of weird. But I'm about to find out. Did you use Midi-ox to load them?

I agree if you rely on presets. (This is PARTICULARLY effective if you want to check out the new cabs...)

However, resetting the AMP block should accomplish much of the same purpose. Dial for the new cabs, and off you go.

And don't worry about the 'reverters'. This is a constant fight EVERY SINGLE TIME THERE'S A FW RELEASE...'vXXX ruined my presets! My life is hell!'. This will happen for about a month. Cliff (being the diligent guy he is), will find some minor things wrong with the FW, and release another version with bug fixes and miscalculations in code (usually about 1 *serious* one and some minor ones.) Otherwise, it's usually the pain of retweaking that cause the most complaints...that and the 'he blew up my favorite amp!'...thing is, the amp wasn't accurate, but they found a tone they liked/loved....

In time it will settle down, and it will all 'get right'. I always advocate patience, but as we can see with pre-FW release (every other post is 'when will it drop????), directly after release ('this shit don' work!' and 'that wasn't what I wanted!') But with a little perspective, most will realize it IS much better, and adjust.

For those who don't feel that way: there really is NO reason to upgrade if you are happy with earlier FW. Just because it's latest and purportedly greatest, doesn't mean it will work for you. There is no wrong answer on that one.

Play on.

R

The pirate's right. This is the same scenario each time, with ups and downs and things gradually settling in over time. I think staying with a previous FW if you gig or have a lot of work put into your patches, etc. is a great option for avoiding issues. I wouldn't use the word "mandatory" on this stuff, but I started from scratch with FW10, hosed my previous presets and loaded up the revised stock ones. Same as some others, I played through some that I didn't care for previously that I now like. Quite a few actually. Glad I took that approach this time..

Replacing the factory presets with the new ones will definitely make the factory presets sound and feel better, but it won't do a thing for your own presets. As Ron said, that's only a fix for people who rely on the factory patches. If you've built your own, you'll have to bite the bullet and either dial them in for v10 or rebuild them from scratch.

Replacing the factory presets with the new ones will definitely make the factory presets sound and feel better, but it won't do a thing for your own presets. As Ron said, that's only a fix for people who rely on the factory patches. If you've built your own, you'll have to bite the bullet and either dial them in for v10 or rebuild them from scratch.

Exactly my point... many of the factory presets are pretty screwy (way too loud, harsh, etc...) if you don't update them to the new banks. Also, dialing in patches from scratch will be easier than trying to figure out why your old presets aren't doing what you think they are supposed to do.

I still like to go back through factory presets as spring boards and if you don't update, many of them can not be used in that fashion because the presets are clipping the output or simply sound bad. New banks makes it so you are getting what you are supposed to be getting.

I still like to go back through factory presets as spring boards and if you don't update, many of them can not be used in that fashion because the presets are clipping the output or simply sound bad. New banks makes it so you are getting what you are supposed to be getting.
So true. I keep the first 50 or so factory patches for jams. If I need a particular sound quickly, I can usually find it in those first 50.

Back
Top Bottom