UPDATED: Under-rated amp models - High and Low Gain

Got to love Dio - Stand up and Shout indeed! :) And yes, the Tucana Lead is awesome. It’s been my main lead tone for at least a year now. If I had to pick two models in the Ax8 and ditch the rest I think I’d pick the Tucana Lead and the AC-20.

Well done Leon. Some new ones to check out for sure.

Great video - I was quite impressed with the CornCob - Since the introduction of Brit 800 #34, I never looked in the direction of any of the other AFD-style style amps, and I don't think the AFS one in the video sounds as good. I use the Atomica High for some EVH style stuff. It's really rippin. Check out Yek's guide for suggested settings.

Great video Leon, so glad you included the Corncob as it's my current fave.

Cleans up superbly with scene controllers too.

Great video - I was quite impressed with the CornCob - Since the introduction of Brit 800 #34, I never looked in the direction of any of the other AFD-style style amps, and I don't think the AFS one in the video sounds as good. I use the Atomica High for some EVH style stuff. It's really rippin. Check out Yek's guide for suggested settings.

No joke, I uploaded this and thought "what's the other Cameron model again?" and read up on it on the amp guide. Bolted straight to the top of my favourites, especially with the settings @York Audio suggested.

The #34 is a beast. It's my favourite Marshall in the box and way easier to dial in than the AFS, but the AFS has a percussive attack that's very addictive to play.

Splawn FTW, truly massive sounding high gain, but not too hairy, they are my favorites on the AX8.
A friend of mine has a Nitro and I tracked a lot of the last Ragdoll album with it; the novel always makes me think of those sessions and puts a smile on my face. It's like riding a fire breathing dragon in to battle.

Got to love Dio - Stand up and Shout indeed! :) And yes, the Tucana Lead is awesome. It’s been my main lead tone for at least a year now. If I had to pick two models in the Ax8 and ditch the rest I think I’d pick the Tucana Lead and the AC-20.

Well done Leon. Some new ones to check out for sure.

Vivian Campbell rips so hard on that song!

Love the corncob. Sounds great clean as well.

I must try it clean.

A friend of mine has a Nitro and I tracked a lot of the last Ragdoll album with it; the novel always makes me think of those sessions and puts a smile on my face. It's like riding a fire breathing dragon in to battle.

Glad to hear that! I have a Splawn SuperComp (which is the 1 channel version of Nitro) and a Splawn StreetRod and they're my favorite gigging amps featurewise and soundwise. On my Ax8 I've used the Cameron Atomica since day1 for 90% of my gigging when I use the Ax8 and also the Cameron 2A and the Spawn QuickRod for my main programs. After watching some of your Mesa videos and these, I guess I'm going to spend a few more hours 'playing' with some other patches to see if I like them as much .. Btw, thanks for all the stuff you post as you're a wealth of knowledge and GREAT player. Eric

Always like your videos, Leon, but this time all the tones seem a little dark and muddy. Even the CCV.
Maybe its just my ears today.

There's never enough 80's hotrodded models! We need more!!! It's interesting how you set up the Tucana! The default value sets the drive parameter at 5 and the overdrive at 10. I thought it sounded kind of flubby! I see you do the opposite by setting the overdrive at 5 and the drive at 10 and it sounds awesome! I will definitly give that Tucana another try this way! Thanks for the tip!

Always like your videos, Leon, but this time all the tones seem a little dark and muddy. Even the CCV.
Maybe its just my ears today.

The Splawn is really dark and was the main patch I was playing with that day, so more than likely my ears were tuned to that model and I dialled everything in dark. I was playing around with the Fred mic position from the HHC2 too which is darker than the usual IR's I go for.

There's never enough 80's hotrodded models! We need more!!! It's interesting how you set up the Tucana! The default value sets the drive parameter at 5 and the overdrive at 10. I thought it sounded kind of flubby! I see you do the opposite by setting the overdrive at 5 and the drive at 10 and it sounds awesome! I will definitly give that Tucana another try this way! Thanks for the tip!

The model is the most accurate I've tried in comparison to the real thing and the two drive controls are interactive like the real thing. Once you find the sweet spot it's a very inspiring amp to play, so raw and honest.

Glad to hear that! I have a Splawn SuperComp (which is the 1 channel version of Nitro) and a Splawn StreetRod and they're my favorite gigging amps featurewise and soundwise. On my Ax8 I've used the Cameron Atomica since day1 for 90% of my gigging when I use the Ax8 and also the Cameron 2A and the Spawn QuickRod for my main programs. After watching some of your Mesa videos and these, I guess I'm going to spend a few more hours 'playing' with some other patches to see if I like them as much .. Btw, thanks for all the stuff you post as you're a wealth of knowledge and GREAT player. Eric

The Quickrod is amazing too. Between the Cameron, Splawn, FAS and Friedman models there's every iteration of great hot rodded Marshall tones in the magic black box.

Thanks for introducing splawn!!!! It cuts through the mix... can you please share your settings? :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom