Updated AC-30TB Tone for v10.02 (w/ U2 clips)

Axeman

Experienced
Axe-Fx II firmware just keeps getting better. The Pride comparison came out better than Bad for some reason. Interesting how one comparison can sound closer than another even though it's the the same setup in both clips.

I'm still working on getting a little more of that "real, lifelike" crispness and attack that Edge gets in his bass notes (A and D string). There is something about the way the strings react in this particular clip of Bad. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

I learned something important this time around. I was able to get closer to the target tone by not focusing on the names of the cab models. The cabs are just EQ adjustments for me going forward. Even though the Blue and Silver speakers are in most AC-30s (especially the amps Edge uses), I decided not to focus on the type and just scrolled through all of the cabs until I got the tone I wanted. I ended up settling on the 4x10 tweed bass. It was amazing how much closer it got me to the Pride tone in this video. Funny, because this cab doesn't have much bass at all.

NOTE: THERE IS NO TONE MATCHING USED HERE.

That is spot on, fantastic match! Did you use any additional mic's with the 4x10 or was it straight up? What about the delay, TC 2290 W/mod?

Hi Michael, thank you for sharing.
As I wrote it on YouTube, your v10 tones sound great but they seem to have more highs and less mids than your previous tones. Am I right ? Would it be due to the tweed bass cab ?
As for the "crispness and attack", I suppose you have tried the "pick attack" parameter, did it meet your expectations ?

I'd love to see how you setup your settings; particularly the amp/cab blocks personally. If you ever do share them, please let us know!!!!!!

Excellent work as always! Your tutorials are truly amazing and inspiring, and you are the main reason I´m set back a number of $$$ with an AxeFX II and an MFC in house now :)

If you can share your U2 FW10 presets or settings when you are happy with the tone that would be fantastic!

Ask and thou shall receive! Latest and greatest attached. Thank you for the kind words.

:)

View attachment 15656

UPDATE: I just unlinked the amp model, so hopefully this now works. Also, I have two cab models in the cab block. X is the one I used for the vid with the 4x10 tweed bass. But switch to Y and you will have 2x12 blue and brit together and you get very nice silky mids and a little more bass. I love this Y cab for Streets. So everyone has two great options in the cab model.

I realize this is not the thread for my next comment, but I noticed AFTER doing this video that I have a serious guitar problem. I would appreciate if anyone could email me privately with ideas on what is wrong. I have two Custom Shop Strats. I can't believe it but my favorite (in the video above) has a problem with the three bass strings (especially the A and D). This is why my tone is Bad is not as sharp as Edge's. It's not the preset but my guitar!!! The strings are muffled sounding.

Here is a clip of me playing the strings on both guitars. Note I'm not plugged in so it's not a problem with the pups. This is a setup or bridge problem. The bass notes have no resonance and they sound muffled. Anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong? Thank you!!

Last edited:
nut slot too tight? assuming the same problem with new strings?

i notice you are a 1/2 step down too. what gauge strings?

That is spot on, fantastic match! Did you use any additional mic's with the 4x10 or was it straight up? What about the delay, TC 2290 W/mod?

I posted the preset above so you can take a look. You can review all the settings. I made many changes to the cab model to give it a live, open feel. I love the R121 Cond mic. It's warm, full and picks up the entire EQ spectrum nicely.

The most important changes are in the amp model. I spent a lot of time on the advanced parameters and EQ page. I put Edge's clip through Ozone and analyzed the spectrum. He has a dip in his amp's EQ in the 1k range. He also has steep sloping cutoffs on the high and low end. The key to a great sounding AC-30 is to get the ice pickyness out of it and aim for a warm chime.

The dynamics and pick attack knobs are also incredible. Gives sharpness and contrast.

Two of the most important parameters for getting this great AC-30 tone is the Tonestack Frequency and the Power Tube Bias. Turn those all the way left and right and note how bad the amp will sound if you are too far off from my values. They give the amp clarity and great mids.

I swear if I had a great power amp and FRFR speakers and Edge's real AC-30 I could model his amp perfectly and he wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a blind test. It would take about three or four sessions of about 2 hours each. I have to step away and come back because the brain starts to play tricks on you after do too much comparing. You start to hear things that you want to hear. That's a big tip for everyone out there. Don't try to build a preset in one long sitting. Spend an hour at a time once every day or two and you will converge nicely on the tone you are looking for. As the U2 song goes, "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For."

Michael

Hi Michael, thank you for sharing.
As I wrote it on YouTube, your v10 tones sound great but they seem to have more highs and less mids than your previous tones. Am I right ? Would it be due to the tweed bass cab ?
As for the "crispness and attack", I suppose you have tried the "pick attack" parameter, did it meet your expectations ?

The new cab definitely removed some mids and made it cleaner. The clip from "It Might Get Loud" is a "thinner, cleaner" tone. I'm not sure if it's Edge's amp setup that day or the recording setup. I have other clips where the sound is so much fuller. We can never make a direct comparison unless we are in the same room with same guitar.

M

nut slot too tight? assuming the same problem with new strings?

i notice you are a 1/2 step down too. what gauge strings?

Thx, I'll check that. Both have .11 gauge. I'm always half step down because most U2 stuff is nowadays. I'll change strings and see what happens. May have a different brand on the good guitar. So strange!!!

Best way to rule the nut out is to put a capo on and see if the sound improves.

Thanks for the preset, I can't wait to study that in the morning!

Michael,
thank you for posting your patch. I think there may be an issue with the one you posted though, are you using a global amp block? I show a 59 Bassguy with default parameters but the cabinet is fine (as are the rest of the effects).

Attachments

• Pride.jpg
    Pride.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 64
Michael,
thank you for posting your patch. I think there may be an issue with the one you posted though, are you using a global amp block? I show a 59 Bassguy with default parameters but the cabinet is fine (as are the rest of the effects).

Oh, yes, I'm using a global. What do I do? Unlink it first?

Yes, I believe you would need to either unlink first OR just insert the modified amp block. I've never used the linked functionality so maybe some who has can chime in?

Yes, I believe you would need to either unlink first OR just insert the modified amp block. I've never used the linked functionality so maybe some who has can chime in?

I just unlinked it and uploaded a new one in the original message (I updated the link above). Try that one and let me know if it worked.

Back
Top Bottom