Update on the number of user cabs?

I guess that there are limitations as to why there are only 10 user cabs.

However with the introduction of the Redwirez IR's Big Box which can sound fantastic if you select the right one for your patch, I am suddenly aware that ten options on user cabs could be a big restriction.

As they propose to introduce a whole raft of new IR's in October, the restriction could get a whole lot worse.

If it meant that some of the preset user cabs were lost to free up space for more user cabs because there was no other way of expanding the range of user cabs then I would be happy to accept this.

I thought that this topic should be in this section rather than in the IR cabs section as it is do with resource or software design.

I wouldn't mind if there were no stock cabs just user slots. Like it might be nice if all the slots were user slots with the ability to name the slots and the Axe-FX came pre-loaded with the stock IR but you could replace any slot.

It would make preset exchange more difficult because everybody would or could load different IRs in different slots so I don't know how you solve for that.

I guess I am just thinking out loud. If things stay the way they are that's great. If we got more user ir slots that's great too. If more user ir slots require a new hardware "platform" then put me on the waiting list! :D

There has to be standard cabs already "installed" in the Axe-fx... how else could someone (for example) at a store audition the Axe-fx via FRFR if there were no cabs installed at all?!??!?! What about for the n00bz, or better yet, what about the geezers who have no love for computers?!?!?!?! And have no desire to connect their guitar effects processor to a computer at all! They just want to plug it in and go... I can see making them all user cabs but there has to be a standard cab "base" for everyone to use.

When I referred to all user slots that why I also said "pre-loaded." So if someone bought the Axe-FX and didn't have a computer or means to load cabs it would still have the stock ones pre-loaded.

Hi,

since this is a "wish list" I'd like to have at least 20+ user IR slots with the ability to NAME them!
(I'm thinking of getting me the redwirez IRs, but without a naming function in the Axe I'm shure I'll get lost...)

Of course it would be cool to be able to delete some of the stock IRs - and reload them just in case,
i.e. like a "restore stock IR xyz to IR location xyz..." menue.

I guess this wish or similar was stated a 1000 times before, and I'm by no means a technician, so
I've got no idea how difficult it would be to realize that - but anyway.... :cool:

Andreas

I don`t know, what the hardware limitation means, but isn`t it possible to change the 3 bass-IR-slots into user-slots.
Bassguitar players can load bass-IRs into any user space.
So we would get at least 3 more user slots.

Smilzo said:
FractalAudio said:
The 10 user cabs is a hardware limitation.

So no more user cab?
How many times and ways does this have to be explained before you guys get it? This isn't a new request, and the response has been the same all along. 10 virtual cabs greatly exceeds the number of physical cabs any guitar player would ever have available - and actually be able to use - on any gig. That's a huge range of cab sounds, and I would wager that nobody here is truly making full use of them. I'm certainly not, and I only ever use the user cab spots.

Jay Mitchell said:
10 virtual cabs greatly exceeds the number of physical cabs any guitar player would ever have available - and actually be able to use - on any gig.

You're quite right. 3 to 4 cabs is what I use for a gig.
I wish to have into axefx all my cabs, not only the one I have to use in next gig(s).
I do not want more user cab really... I would like that stock IRs were rewriteable. :!:

vaxed said:
Would be good to be able to name them though
Same answer, originally provided more than a year ago. The required memory is not available. I know this is counterintuitive, but Cliff was chasing single bytes in order to fit everything in. Unless something has opened up considerably since then, this won't happen.

Jay Mitchell said:
Smilzo said:
I wish to have into axefx all my cabs, not only the one I have to use in next gig(s).
Do you have more than ten?

More than ten real 4x12? Are you jockin? :lol: :lol:
I sold all my 4x12... have a couple of 4x10 left... a 2x12... a lot of 1x12... and I use some studio gear (4x12). Oh, and a bunch of 10's, 8's. I use(d) 4x10 for clean and 1x12 (v30) for lead on stage.

I was referring to "virtual" cab. I wish i could have all my virtual cab, not only ten. Jay, don't blame me for asking more IR's. The real responsable is a guy called Jay Mitchell and his IRs! :lol:

Smilzo said:
I would like that stock IRs were rewriteable. :!:
:D .... But I guess I'd like to have them backed up before rewriting, so who knows if either A. they can or ever will be re-writable in the future or B. If the stock cabs will then be released somehow to only Axe owners, or capable of being uploaded from the Axe?

hp/mp said:
Smilzo said:
I would like that stock IRs were rewriteable. :!:
:D .... But I guess I'd like to have them backed up before rewriting, so who knows if either A. they can or ever will be re-writable in the future or B. If the stock cabs will then be released somehow to only Axe owners, or capable of being uploaded from the Axe?

I do like an use some of the stock IRs. I don't know how Fractal could/would implement it, but stock IR should be available for upload into axefx.
I do not use most of stock IRs. If most of us use only 10 stock IR's, the remainig ones are wasted memory. Even better, some(all) of the memory used for user IR could be free.

A useful improvement for patch exchange is "add IR data" option... we already discuss about it long ago.

Cheers!! :)

Well, if it wasn't clear before it certainly is now. Perhaps this thread should be stickied or placed in a FAQ or Wiki because this is one of the most frequent topics posted.

Jay Mitchell said:
Smilzo said:
FractalAudio said:

So no more user cab?
How many times and ways does this have to be explained before you guys get it? This isn't a new request, and the response has been the same all along. 10 virtual cabs greatly exceeds the number of physical cabs any guitar player would ever have available - and actually be able to use - on any gig. That's a huge range of cab sounds, and I would wager that nobody here is truly making full use of them. I'm certainly not, and I only ever use the user cab spots.

Hi Jay,

I think that you miss the point here. I use patches with combinations of different user cab slots, let's say 1,2,4,5,7,9 &10. This leaves me with 3 & 8 as a spare to try a different and new IR. I would rather not overwrite (if only temporarily) over the others just in case I lose the original settings and mess things up.

So for me, the Redwirez models are definitely a step forward and would like to incorporate more of these options even if I lose some of the Stock IR's to compensate.

There is so much versatility with the Axe Fx with many changes to be made within each block, but it seems more restrictive with the number of user cabs and a greater mix of user cabs and stock cabs would be a great bonus.

Jay Mitchell said:
Smilzo said:
FractalAudio said:

So no more user cab?
so what you're saying is that in your opinion, since you don't use that many, no one else should either. Do I detect an hint of arrogance in your response? Maybe some AxeFx owners would use more than that number of cabs in creating their tones with different amp models if they had the option. Just because (at least from your point of view) 10 cabs exceeds the number of physical cabs a player would have available is a bad argument. Isn't having lots of cabs available one of the things that makes virtual cabs cool? What about the session player that does multiple genres? I,m sure it would be useful to have more than 10 user writeable cabs to have a plethora of different sounds ready to go instead of having to upload different cabs for each session. At the very least, having the ability to overwrite the preset cabs would really expand the possibilities, especially with all the new IRs that are available.
You really, really need to get away from the " since I don't need it or use it, then you shouldn't either" attitude. Condescension is not a quality one should aspire to.
BY THE WAY...Smilzo, you are absolutely correct...Jay did miss the point. The scenario you described is exactly the right argument for at least being able to overwrite preset cabs you don't like or use.

Back
Top Bottom