Unwanted: Midi Controller mutes input block upon scene change.

The same button. Button 3 on the Liquid Foot. The only thing I've changed is that the Button (or specifically the IA Slot) on the LF is now not grouped.

In other words, any of the scene buttons (which are IA Slots on the LF) which are assigned to a group are sending the unwanted midi. In fact, this explains the seven repeated midi messages. It's the other seven scene IA Slots which are reacting. ...at least that's my hypothesis.

Then one or more of the other buttons in the group were sending the sysex?
I can only speculate that since the unwanted midi is not sent when I "ungroup" a button (IA Slot) on the Liquid Foot, that it is the other seven scene buttons that are sending the sysex. This would explain the seven repeated lines in the code I posted earlier. That's my best hypothesis.

Does the FAMC support B or Off commands? As in 'A' or On commands sent when button engaged/activated, 'B' or Off commands sent when button changes state to disengaged/inactive.

Do Groups have any other state associated with them other than the buttons assigned to the group?

Does the FAMC support B or Off commands? As in 'A' or On commands sent when button engaged/activated, 'B' or Off commands sent when button changes state to disengaged/inactive.

Do Groups have any other state associated with them other than the buttons assigned to the group?
Hi. By the way, thanks for all the help so far. You're talking above my pay grade, I think. But I'll do my best to answer.

B or Off commands: yes. The IA Slots can be set as Stomp, Temporary, Step, etc. You can program 20 Midi messages upon "On" command (foot pressing button down), and if you want, another 20 for "Off" foot leaving the button, or second press for ex. Is this what you mean?

Groups having additional states associated w them: Not my groups. In the global group settings, there is a column called "Exclusive Group Trigger IAs" and Group 1 (my scenes) is set to "No Assinged IA-Slot". There can be no midi generated there.

A second column in the global group settings is called "Grouped IA Config" and there are only two choices: "Make, then Break", and "Break, then Make". You have to pick one, mine is on the default: "Make, then Break". I don't know if this plays a role.

Not sure if this answers your question.

By the way, my best hypothesis at the moment -in layman's terms - is that the Liquid Foot is sending midi messages internally to its buttons and this is going out together with the midi CCs intended for the Axe. I am trying to change the Midi Channel of the LF and the Axe to see if it will make a difference. The idea is that perhaps the midi channel assignment will filter out the midi that should stay within the LF and the Axe will only read the midi intended for it.

Update: changing the Midi Channel did not help. In fact, it is worse. I put the LF on Midi Channel 10 and changed the Axe also to 10 and now the scenes are not working, but the buttons on the LF still put the Input Block into bypass. !

By the way, my best hypothesis at the moment -in layman's terms - is that the Liquid Foot is sending midi messages internally to its buttons and this is going out together with the midi CCs intended for the Axe. I am trying to change the Midi Channel of the LF and the Axe to see if it will make a difference. The idea is that perhaps the midi channel assignment will filter out the midi that should stay within the LF and the Axe will only read the midi intended for it.

That is, how shall I put it, extremely unlikely :). That's not how sysex works. Have you tried contacting FAMC for help? They built it so they should be able to answer questions about it.

The sysex messages are definitely intended for the Axe-FX -- per the bytes f0 00 01 74 10 -- they are not Liquid Foot internal.

Update: changing the Midi Channel did not help. In fact, it is worse. I put the LF on Midi Channel 10 and changed the Axe also to 10 and now the scenes are not working, but the buttons on the LF still put the Input Block into bypass. !
Not surprising as the CC messages are channel based while sysex messages are not channel messages.

That is, how shall I put it, extremely unlikely :). That's not how sysex works. Have you tried contacting FAMC for help? They built it so they should be able to answer questions about it.
FAMC support is non-existent so far as I last heard. You could try the Other Midi Controllers forum to try to get help from other Liquid Foot users.
Thanks again Sean and hi Glenn. Yes, I get it. This is not my area of expertise. Unfortunately the gentleman that runs FAMC has not been heard from for about three years. Shame, since the product had so much potential. They could have given Mastermind a run for their money if they had evolved over the years. There is a very knowledgeable guy on this forum called GotMetalBoy who may have something to contribute to this issue.

In the worst case, I could leave my Scene buttons "ungrouped" and they would just light up and stay lit as I went through scenes. Still, there are times when you want to look down and know which scene you're on.

In any case, thanks again for your wisdom. I have to leave the matter for the evening as it's getting late here in Germany and I must return to my coffin. But please post any further ideas if any come to mind. I'll be eager to read them. Cheers.

In addition, there is an excellent LF section in the wiki, mostly from GotMetalBoy

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=FAMC_Liquid_Foot+

A quick look at that seems to indicate the problem might be the LF is programmed with an unwanted sysex send message.
Yes, I believe I have read just about everything GotMetalBoy has written about the Liquid Foot on this forum and the Liquid Foot forum (which is now riddled with spam). He is very helpful.

I agree that the unwanted sysex is a built in problem. At least when a LF "Group" is assigned. I will have to either find a work around or live with the limitation. Haven't given up yet though!

Ha ha. Yes. That is one option!
All kidding aside, I chose the Liquid Foot because I wanted a controller with 8 switches on the bottom row, at least another row of buttons, and lighted labels. At the time (around 2015 or 16), it was either the Foot or the Mastermind. The Foot had two more buttons and was a few hundred bucks less in cost. The Foot was at the limit of my budget at the time. If Fractal had an 8-Button-Across option, I would have gone for that. (I bet that has been requested many times).

I still love having 8 buttons on the bottom row. For me it's mandatory since I sing and play. I have to look down and in a few milliseconds see the target and hit it. ...and without balancing on one foot. The second row is optional stuff for when I have more time to hit the second row like during instrumental sections.

Update: I never found the source of the unwanted Midi. But I backed up my programming and did a factory reset. Problem gone.
It will cost me some time to reprogram what was in my bag of tricks, but there are advantages from starting from scratch. Thanks to everyone who chimed in to help. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom