Understanding the effects Bypass setting....

Brogen72

Inspired
I've see a few places where this is briefly mentioned online, but I was hoping to better understand the purpose of the Bypass setting that each effect in the Axe II has i.e. Mute, Thru, Mute FX Out/In etc. I roll through the different settings in various presets I have created and do not notice any change in the overall tone. Is there a general rule of thumb you guys go by when placing effects blocks in your presets? What does this really help do?

Thanks! :geek

you won't notice a change in tone...that's not what they do

you will however, notice a change in volume if you have an effect block in parallel with it's mix level set to 100%

if you bypass such an effect when it's bypass setting is "thru", you will notice a 6db increase in volume. in this instance, you should set the bypass mode to one of the mute modes. if the effect is a delay or reverb, then selecting "mute fx in" will bypass the block, but allow the effect tail to continue to ring out.

if you have a block in series, then you can either select "thru", or "mute fx in". selecting the latter will keep the mix level and therefore the dry level constant. selecting "thru" will effectively make the dry/wet mix go to 100% dry, which may affect your patch volume if mix is set very high

selecting "mute fx out" will mute any fx tails when bypassing the block

all this is laid out in the manual, i believe...

Good to know,sad thing is I read it once and forgot:D the older I get the more I forget. now how do you play that song again. :lol

Last edited:
selecting "thru" will effectively make the dry/wet mix go to 100% dry, which may affect your patch volume if mix is set very high

selecting "mute fx out" will mute any fx tails when bypassing the block

I have two question on bypassing effects:
1) With 'mute fx in' and 'mute fx out' the level controls will still affect the dry signal when the effect is bypassed says the manual. I sometimes have a hard time controlling the patch levels when bypassing certain effects. Wish there was a bypass setting in which the effect could be muted but the dry level remains unchanged so it is easier to control your patch levels. Is this possible? or which bypass setting should I use?

2) Can someone give examples of when 'mute' or 'mute out' are useful?

Bodde,

The "dry" level won't change when you bypass the block if it is set to MUTE FX IN or MUTE FX OUT. That's what you want for delays, reverbs, etc.
The overall level of the dry and the wet will be adjusted by the LEVEL knob in these cases. You'll want to check each preset vs. the others, but then, you always need to do that when gearing up for performance anyway ;-)

I was actually talking about the exact same thing as Simeon here. How to keep the overall the preset level the same when bypassing the Delay. Especially when using different mix settings with the expression pedal combined with bypassing the delay. With most other effects I use 'thru' but with the delay I mostly use "Mute fx In'. Still sometimes I have trouble with finding the right levels when it comes to bypassing the delay and still keeping the same overall volume both with series and parallel.

you will however, notice a change in volume if you have an effect block in parallel with it's mix level set to 100%

if you bypass such an effect when it's bypass setting is "thru", you will notice a 6db increase in volume. in this instance, you should set the bypass mode to one of the mute modes. if the effect is a delay or reverb, then selecting "mute fx in" will bypass the block, but allow the effect tail to continue to ring out.

if you have a block in series, then you can either select "thru", or "mute fx in". selecting the latter will keep the mix level and therefore the dry level constant. selecting "thru" will effectively make the dry/wet mix go to 100% dry, which may affect your patch volume if mix is set very high

I am reading the manual again but I have had real preset output level issues trying not to clip, so I am hoping this bypass issue will be my answer.

Clipping is unrelated. Lower the LEVEL of your amp(s). If you use a compressor after the CAB, lower that instead.

Thanks...I'm tweaking levels on everything, it's getting more balanced the more I work at it. I tend to play pretty loud and I seem to try to have my levels set so that I don't usually push the Output Level 1 dial on the Axe it's self past 12:00. When playing at your loudest where do you leave the Output dial?

Back
Top Bottom