Understand Master Q in graphic EQ

Giordydiver

Inspired
Hi guys,
In the last few weeks I have been studying the various blocks, today it is the turn of the EQ block. I know the difference between fixed and variable Q models, but I don't understand the Master Q parameter.
In the variable one the Q factor is works in function of the gain, so what does that master Q represent?
On the manual I read that it is the width of all the bands, but the width is variable with the gain, I don't understand .. it makes me think that it indicates the Q for + 20db / -20db? what do the experts say?

The Q control determines the "width" of your boost/cut around the center frequency.

images

Thanks Leon, i know this but is not what i mean. I try to be clearer, in costant Q the bandwidth dont change with gain so if i set q=1 i have the same bandwidth at +1db or +20db, but with variable Q if i set q=1 the bandwidth at +1db is different from the bandwidth at +20db. So is the master Q referred to maximum gain or to other value?

Another question, PEQ block has costant or variable Q?

Thanks

Usually it is the way you want a broader bandwith when boosting and a narrower bandwith when taming. And so worked some real world eqs, now these are models of them.

To get the use-your-ears paradigm going, I'd say turn one band fully up or down, then go switching between variable and fixed and you could also tweak the master Q and then you might hear how much it affects the sound.

Hm..I need to do that too, I'm curious, you got me!

That's right.
Though the OP asked about Master Q which is a parameter in the GEQ block.
I wasn't responding to the OP. I was responding to the statement, "there's no constant or variable Q in the PEQ block, it's adjustable per band". Adjustable and variable are synonyms. Saying each band in a PEQ is adjustable is the equivalent of saying it's variable.

Last edited:
I wasn't responding to the OP. I was responding to the statement, "there's no constant or variable Q in the PEQ block, it's adjustable per band". Adjustable and variable are synonyms. Saying each band in a PEQ is adjustable is the equivalent of saying it's variable.
Ah, ok. I see.

Variable Q in a graphic EQ (vs constant) doesn't mean you can adjust it yourself. It has to do with the way the shape of the curve changes with increasing boost and cut. Find some pictures to see the difference.

Variable Q in a graphic EQ (vs constant) doesn't mean you can adjust it yourself. It has to do with the way the shape of the curve changes with increasing boost and cut. Find some pictures to see the difference.
I wasn't talking about GEQ. I was specifically addressing the claim that "there's no constant or variable Q in the PEQ block, it's adjustable per band". The Q in the PEQ block doesn't vary with gain, but it's undoubtedly variable(ie. not constant or fixed/adjustable).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom