Underplayed catchy covers?

Dpoirier

Fractal Fanatic
Hey y'all, I'm looking for ideas for catchy songs for my cover band. We like to avoid the overplayed material but still stick to catchy material that most audiences will immediately recognize. As an example, we already do Radar Love, My Sharona, and Boston's Foreplay / Long Time (and perhaps I'm wrong about these not being overplayed, but I've never seen a local cover band doing these). As you can guess, we like the 70's and 80's, but we're open (for example, we also do Loggins & Messina's Your mama don't dance).

Just looking for other inspiration. Thanks!

Hey y'all, I'm looking for ideas for catchy songs for my cover band. We like to avoid the overplayed material but still stick to catchy material that most audiences will immediately recognize. As an example, we already do Radar Love, My Sharona, and Boston's Foreplay / Long Time (and perhaps I'm wrong about these not being overplayed, but I've never seen a local cover band doing these). As you can guess, we like the 70's and 80's, but we're open (for example, we also do Loggins & Messina's Your mama don't dance).

Just looking for other inspiration. Thanks!
Try adding Twilight Zone/Golden Earring + Domino/ Van Morrison. How about Addicted to Love/Robert Palmer. These all get the dance floor filled for us.

Looks like you have a capable keyboard player who can play Boston. Cool.

Uprising by Muse is one that tended to get people on the dance floor in one of my last cover bands. At 128 bpm it seems to have the right groove. I'd stick to tunes at that speed or above that fit into your vocalist(s) ranges and your band's style of music.

My kids have told me that at least in the Midwest there is an appetite for nostalgic classics like Ozzy- Crazy Train, AC DC. GNR, Journey, Def Leppard, Styx, REO, and even big hair music. These tunes keep showing up on a lot of their favorite streaming shows, auto playlists and movies.

Keep a notepad near the sound tech and tell the crowd to write 1-2 great songs that are danceable, and that you will use the list to determine future tunes. Find the ones that have a higher bpm that you can play great and you should get more dancers on the floor.

Tragically Hip : New Orleans is Sinking
Fleetwood Mac : The Chain
Genesis : That's All
Led Zeppelin : Fool in the Rain
Radiohead : Creep
U2 : Love is Blindness
Talking Heads : Life During Wartime
Cake : Short Skirt/Long Jacket

Off the top of my head...easy to play, but great sounding...
Walk Away - James Gang
Hurts So Good - John Mellencamp
Don't Cry No Tears - Neil Young
Jet Airliner - Steve Miller Band
Takin' Care of Business - Bachman Turner Overdrive
Already Gone - Eagles

Back
Top Bottom