Underplayed catchy covers?

Certainly not underplayed in their time, but probably not listened to much recently by many.

Average White Band/Play that funky Music
B52's/Love Shack
The Cars/Let's Go
Van Morrison/Gloria
Frankie Goes to Hollywood/Relax
Traveling Wilburys/Handle with Care
Status Quo/Whatever you Want
Suzie Quatro/Can the Can
The Kinks/Lola/You Really Got Me
Bachman Turner Overdrive/Takin Care of Business

If you're brave & keen, try some Ian Dury & the Blockheads stuff. Weird...but very catchy tunes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminders about Talk to You Later and She Sheila. We used to do Talk to You Later back when it was a new song. It was always fun to play. I've added both songs to my "Proposed Songs" list that I go over with the band periodically.
Certainly not underplayed in their time, but probably not listened to much recently by many.

Average White Band/Play that funky Music
B52's/Love Shack
The Cars/Let's Go
Van Morrison/Gloria
Frankie Goes to Hollywood/Relax
Traveling Wilburys/Handle with Care
Status Quo/Whatever you Want
Suzie Quatro/Can the Can
The Kinks/Lola/You Really Got Me
Bachman Turner Overdrive/Takin Care of Business

If you're brave & keen, try some Ian Dury & the Blockheads stuff. Weird...but very catchy tunes.
We did Love Shack a few years ago in a previous iteration of my band. I hated the song but loved what it did to a dance floor. Our drummer (who was not a great singer) was perfect for singing the male part and our two primary singers did the female parts (and nailed them). One of our longtime fans was CERTAIN we were using some kind of vocal processing to get the female parts to sound right.

Maybe go back even a bit further for some rockin' fun without playing Twist and Shout for the thousandth time. I like to have fun with:
Hang On Sloopy
Jailhouse Rock
Locomotion
I Like It Like That
Sh-Boom
Etc.

In the era you spec'd:
Whatcha Gonna Do - Pablo Cruise
Keep Your Hands To Yourself - The Georgia Satellites
Walking On Sunshine - Katrina and the Waves
Electric Avenue - Eddy Grant
Mexican Radio - Wall of Voodoo
Rock And Roll Hoochie Koo - Rick Derringer
Do You Know What I Mean - Lee Michaels
I Got A Line On You - Spirit
Don't Do Me Like That - Petty
Graceland - Paul Simon
Stuck In The Middle With You - Stealers Wheel

And my favorite song to play (other than my own) as of late:
Pop Muzik - M

There may be more and lot's of other great selections here, some of which I may have to adopt ;~))

Just had a drink at a bar in Valletta Malta with the family and there was this acoustic guitar player...a lady from Australia. She played Billy Idol rebel yell, the stones jumping jack flash and other similar songs like that... It really rocked the terrace. Just her voice and the guitar really hit it off.

Thanks for the reminders about Talk to You Later and She Sheila. We used to do Talk to You Later back when it was a new song. It was always fun to play. I've added both songs to my "Proposed Songs" list that I go over with the band periodically.
Thinking about the Tubes and She's A Beauty is another good one, as is Prime Time.

Which got me looking at setlists of 80's non-hair tunes I've played in various bands.

Smithereens - A Girl Like You, Blood and Roses
English Beat - Save it for Later, Tears of a Clown, Ranking Full Stop
Bananarama - Venus
Springsteen - Glory Days, Cadillac Ranch
Cure - The Love Cats, Why Can't I Be You, Just Like Heaven
The Clash - Clampdown, Train in Vain
Bowie - Let's Dance
Edie Brickell - What I Am
Allison Road - Gin Blossoms
INXS - What You Need, New Sensation, You're Unbelievable
Jane's Addiction - Jane Says
Joe Cocker - You Can Leave Your Hat On
Joe Jackson - I'm the Man, Sunday Papers
Pretenders - Up the Neck, The Wait, My City Was Gone, Middle of the Road
Toad the Wet Sprocket - Walk on the Ocean
10000 Maniacs - These Are Days
Huey Lewis and the News - Working for a Living, Bad is Bad, Heart and Soul, Heart of Rock'n'Roll, I Want a New Drug...

Back
Top Bottom