UltraRes vs NormalRes one last time!

Which one is UltraRes?

• The first clip was UltraRes.

Votes: 46 41.8%
  • The second clip was UltraRes.

Votes: 64 58.2%

• Total voters
If the low end was the only thing louder you would be right.

EDIT: Here's a reamp with the looper. The only difference is UR and NR.

ur_nr_reamp.png

Same frequency balance. If it sounds louder and measures louder it is louder IMO so let's just agree to disagree on this if that suits you. :)

You might've mistaken that I was simply looking at numbers when I matched the volumes. That's obviously not how I did it. It's simply using the match EQ graph to match the volumes by eye. That is not peak measurement which you are referring to.

Last edited:
:eek:

... IOW, if you change the levels the experiment is invalid. ...

+1 this ... while a noble effort (an we all enjoy your tones, polls and what you bring to the forum personally) its still somewhat of an apple to oranges comparison (and if I recall correctly you did not loop the same dry guitar riff through the NormalRes and UltraRes samples too).

Well just so people understand what 1dB is. 3dB is double volume. So 1dB is 1/3 louder... that is huge from an audio engineer point of view. I can volume balance these clips with metrics especially when the IR curve is the same.

It's not that simple. It depends whether you're talking about sound pressure, sound intensity, sound power, dBu, dBV...... Without a reference, the term decibel is actually meaningless.

Reactions: Rex
someone should just do a proper comparison.

Clark is a pretty talented guy with no shortage of energy or enthusiasm and he is clearly very entertaining with these comparison posts.

Lets help him do the proper comparison. :encouragement:

If the low end was the only thing louder you would be right.

EDIT: Here's a reamp with the looper. The only difference is UR and NR.

ur_nr_reamp.png

Same frequency balance. If it sounds louder and measures louder it is louder IMO so let's just agree to disagree on this if that suits you. :)

You might've mistaken that I was simply looking at numbers when I matched the volumes. That's obviously not how I did it. It's simply using the match EQ graph to match the volumes by eye. That is not peak measurement which you are referring to.
Thanks Clark - can you post the comparison audio of the reamp with the looper without doing any volume adjustments so we can hear the results? :encouragement:

Okay so here's the difference. Is it big? Is it small? Is it important? Vote for which you think is UltraRes. And as a token of appreciation here are the UltraRes IR's used in this clip. These are IR's that I shot through my Mesa Traditional 1x12 wide cab a few months back. The IR's were almost 6 seconds long so they are definitely long enough.

I play the same riff twice and it's just single tracked.

I have lowered the gain almost half a decibel on the UltraRes version to make it less noticable. It sounds louder and measures a higher RMS and peaks almost a decibel higher than normal res. There is an actual noticable volume difference. If there is another difference then you should be able to hear it without the volume boost OR you should be able to tell by which clip is lower volume but that will not be the case. (Yes, sir. Still a pain in the ass.) If you can't tell the difference between the clips because of this volume difference then you'll get even better tones by boosting your output several dB's in the future. :lol

With out looking at any of the other posts my vote goes hands down to the first clip! Its just fuller, richer and not so sterile sounding as the second one.

someone should just do a proper comparison.

You mean without the volume difference? That was my last comparison and it had the same outcome.

If it sounds and measures louder an audio engineer will lower it's volume accordingly. He will not let it be louder in the mix "because it's UltraRes so actually it is not louder". That is bullshit. Energy = volume = takes more room in the mix.

He will use a pair of these:
kozzi-human-male-ear-588-x-883.jpg

to make the guitar tracks fit the song's volume balance in which case the guitar will be at the same level just like in this comparison.

So maybe you guys should come up with a "proper" answer. Maybe balance a "proper" mix and really understand this "proper" comparison.

EDIT: And no I will not do another comparison. This was a fair comparison and I got the results I wanted. UR might not sound better but it does feel better and I will use it for that purpose.

You mean without the volume difference? That was my last comparison and it had the same outcome.

If it sounds and measures louder an audio engineer will lower it's volume accordingly. He will not let it be louder in the mix "because it's UltraRes so actually it is not louder". That is bullshit. Energy = volume = takes more room in the mix.

He will use a pair of these:
kozzi-human-male-ear-588-x-883.jpg

to make the guitar tracks fit the song's volume balance in which case the guitar will be at the same level just like in this comparison.

So maybe you guys should come up with a "proper" answer. Maybe balance a "proper" mix and really understand this "proper" comparison.

EDIT: And no I will not do another comparison. This was a fair comparison and I got the results I wanted. UR might not sound better but it does feel better and I will use it for that purpose.

Ah hah! :triumphant: Thar's the problem!

Too much of an oily residue build-up in the audio engineer's ears! :D

Nothing a good ear-douching can't fix! :encouragement:

The poll results states that both clips are UltraRes?

Larry Mitchell's recent post demoing UR was interesting in that there was a very noticeable difference in how much more alive and dynamic the UR sounded.

It is what it is.

If you take a long ir that contains the same information as a short ir followed by silence, then convert it to ultrareswill the volume increase?

And thus ... they were drawn unknowingly down the a rabbit hole that miraculously appeared before them ... slowly sucking them in ... sealing their own demise! :lol

Well, after thinking about UltraRes all day long ... time to go home, crack open a cold one, crank up the AXE and download Cab Pack 3 and upgrade my favorite presets with ... wait for it ... that's right ... UltraRes IRs! :D.

Well just so people understand what 1dB is. 3dB is double volume. So 1dB is 1/3 louder... that is huge from an audio engineer point of view.
Nope. 3 dB ain't double volume. It's twice the power, but doubling the volume is more like 10 dB.

Try it yourself. Play some recorded music. Then raise the level by 3 dB. Listen. It ain't twice as loud. This is reality from an audio engineer point of view. :)

Here's a reamp with the looper. The only difference is UR and NR.

ur_nr_reamp.png

Your graph shows no spectral difference between Standard Resolution and UltraRes. According to your data, UltraRes is just a standard IR with the volume turned up—by 3 dB no less!. Will you forgive me if I doubt the heck out of that? :)

Last edited:
Reactions: yek
Nope. 3 dB ain't double volume. It's twice the power, but doubling the volume is more like 10 dB.

Try it yourself. Play some recorded music. Then raise the level by 3 dB. Listen. It ain't twice as loud. This is reality from an audio engineer point of view. :)

Oh SNAP! :triumphant: Time to quickly step out of the forum and into sizzl'in tub of UltraRes satisfaction before a fight breaks out in this thread and I get sucked in! :D

Your graph shows no spectral difference between Standard Resolution and UltraRes. According to your data, UltraRes is just a standard IR with the volume turned up—by 3 dB no less!. Will you forgive me if I doubt the heck out of that? :)

WOOOWWWWW!!! :lol Hands on the wall ... feet apart ... you have the right to remain silent ... you have right to an attorney ... yadda, yadda, yadda!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And thus ... they were drawn unknowingly down the a rabbit hole that miraculously appeared before them ... slowly sucking them in ... sealing their own demise! :lol

Well, after thinking about UltraRes all day long ... time to go home, crack open a cold one, crank up the AXE and download Cab Pack 3 and upgrade my favorite presets with ... wait for it ... that's right ... UltraRes IRs! :D.

Man, there's the problem since UltraRes came out: everyone's thinking about it, graphing it, making clips of it, listening to lossy compressed clips of it and analyzing UltraRes every way 'till Sunday. Anyone out there try making music with UltraRes IRs?

Reactions: yek
Back
Top Bottom