Ultrares IRs?

No specifics, but in general it’s interesting to see people say “just release it already and update things later via firmware.” Then it happens and people freak out about things that aren’t exactly how they expect. I understand that little information was given about this topic until now. But it’s something I’ve noticed. You really can’t win. People want a 100% perfect unit 5 years ago. Just an observation.

Relax. This is fractal audio. They do things well. They give free updates constantly. The FM3 just started shipping. I know there are new users who haven’t had any FAS gear yet, but the speculation and panic has been a bit nauseating.

I will say though, information quells the worried mind. But it’s still release week. There isn’t always time to answer every question. Guys, we’re in a good place.

People that have played through the FM3 say that it sounds the same as the Axe-Fx III

The difference between 500ms and 100ms IR is about the same difference as having a low cut shelf at 70 Hz or not, there's a difference, but it's not like "ofmg this sounds like garbage" difference. It's nice to play through full length, but in all honesty, using Redwirez MixIR3 and their IR length knob (14000 to 1 ms range), a 20 ms IR sounds fun as hell for some reason, I don't know why. It's just EQ, it doesn't affect the amp dynamics in the slightest, you just don't get the pinnacle of low end and high end extension. You know what else is fun as hell to play though that has a mid range focus and lack of low end and high end extension? A 1x12 IR. Which you can EQ to sound mid scooped and bright if you want. An IR is just an EQ filter, with graphic/parametric EQ available you can compensate for the EQ differential way further than pissing away resources to run a 500ms IR. The shorter IR isn't like running at lower resolution audio, it's just a less detailed equalization filter, you can roll your own IR with just EQ blocks that has just as much extension high/low as a 500ms IR. Or EQ a shorter IR to taste to replenish whatever frequencies one feels is lacking.

Agreed, but some have mentioned presets sound different across platforms possible due to this difference......was hoping to level up ?

Yep, would be nice to know if they still intend to add UltraRes support.

Does anyone know to what length the IRs are truncated? 10 ms, 20 ms, 40 ms?

20 ms, with firmware 1.06.

There are some rumors in the v2.0 thread, I wonder how it will turn?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom