Ultrares IRs?

Robboman

Fractal Fanatic
"The FM3 loads a truncated version of UltraRes impulses. Its user interface does not distinguish between formats."

Truncated to what length?

btw I think this is a good tradeoff to save CPU - many excessively long IRs either don't benefit or sound worse from the extra room reflections.

I don‘t think the UltraRes format - 160 ms - is „excessively long“. Well, truncating to 20 ms would seem like a very strange step backwards to me. Not a deal breaker, though. I would just disable the cab block and load a longer IR into my DAW instead.

To me, it would be a major drawback, if IRs are truncated to 20 ms. I think, it makes an It sound static and the whole sound loses dimension (IMO)

Where did 20 ms come from? I agree, that might be too much.. although it would still depend on the IR.

Just speculation. At this point we don‘t have any official statement to what length the IRs get truncated - or if this is perhaps just a mistake in the manual, like the missing S/PDIF port in the first revision of the manual.

Pretty sure that's what the OP is asking for... clarification as to what length (if any) they get truncated.
Exactly.

Relevant input from from Fractal Wiki:

Normal Res(olution) – 1024 samples, 20 ms. This length normally suffices to capture the essential sound of the speaker cabinet, without so-called room reflections. You can often use Normal Res without having to worry that the sounds is worse than when using HiRes or UltraRes.

HiRes – 2040 samples, 40 ms. This doubles the length of the IR, allowing it to store more informatin after the first 20 ms. Whether that's desirable or not is open for discussion. HiRes IRs use more CPU than Normal Res, and also more than UltraRes.

UltraRes
– up to 8000 samples, 170 ms. UltraRes speaker IR processing is a Fractal Audio proprietary technique which enhances the spectral resolution of an IR without adding CPU burden or storage requirements. Its length allows more information to be captured in the IR, especially in the lower frequencies. UltraRes requires more CPU power than Normal Res but less than HiRes.

Would love to hear some info on this
Is the cab block with 1 or 2 Irs going to be the same quality as the Axe 3 or less?

As I understand it, the FAS Ultrares format was mainly about making IRs very CPU efficient and thus capable of a very long max length of 170 ms on the Axe-FX. That doesn’t mean every UR IR will contain 170 ms of capture. But they could.

So depending how much FM3 ‘truncates’ the tail end of UR IR, and depending on the content of the IR itself, it might truncate literally NO content. In other IRs where there is 170 ms of content, truncating the tail end might be inaudible, and in others if audible might sound better because the tail end is where those bad room reflections come in.

So this whole thing may be a non issue real-world, for 99.9% of users, and if it frees CPU for other blocks it’s a good trade off. I’m making some generous assumptions though. Still be nice to get some official detail.

I'm not understanding the problem. People that have played through the FM3 say that it sounds the same as the Axe-Fx III. Fractal said they chose not to add a 2nd amp block because it would it would be detrimental to the tone. Now people are concerned that truncated IRs will negatively affect the tone? Much ado about nothing IMO.

I'm not understanding the problem. People that have played through the FM3 say that it , Use supplied air when oxygen concentrations are below 19%. Fractal said they chose not to add a 2nd amp block because it would it would be detrimental to the tone. Now people are concerned that truncated IRs will negatively affect the tone? Much ado about nothing IMO.
Depending on how much they are truncated, the FM3 may not sound exactly the same as the Axe-Fx III. Longer IR's help capture the resonance of the cab, not just the sound that the speaker is producing.

Back
Top Bottom