ULTRA VS Eventide Eclipse?

Dave Hoskins

Inspired
Hi All,

This topic was my virgin post yesterday and got wiped out, so I guess that makes me a virgin again! :shock: (I'm not sure that's a good thing).

I would like to ask Javajunkie to try and recreate his excellent comparison of the ULTRA and the Eventide Eclipse. As someone considering which to buy I found it extremely informative and I'd like to refer to it again. Also I think it will be valuable to have in the archives. And, please, if anyone else wants to add an "IMO" on the subject, feel free.

Well I had one and sold it to get the AxeFx Ultra. IMO, the Eventide has some great sounds, but it is so painfully antiquated. It's like comparing the Atari 2600 console to a Sony PS3. You are so limited with the Eclipse on what effects you can put together and you have to depend on certain paired algorithms that are available. The patch change time is rediculously long and the editing effort is absurd. I think the unit is much better off as a general studio piece of hardware.

Short and sweet but JMO.

the switching times on the eclipse are a lot faster now, and whenever the v4 software comes out they're supposed to be sped up more. the eclipse requires more time to program, a lot more work but you can load several effects in 2 blocks and turn each one on and off. but, the axe is way easier to program and seems more guitar oriented right out of the box. so far, i like the reverb on teh eclipse more.
my suggestion, follow my lead, say screw it and keep both!

oh ya,i should say the preamps are no comparison. the distortion and overdrives on the eclipse are not designed for regular guitar performance more of special effect type thing.if you're looking for a guitar amp sim first effects processor second it's an easy decision i guess.
imo

ill redo that comparison after the forum stabilizes. I'm still getting 500 errors and I don't want to type it again :)

Comparing the two is really like comparing apples and oranges. The Eclipse is a harmonizer with lush reverbs/chorus/flangers and other FX that are tweakable and the AxeFx is an all in one Guitar FX modeling DSP device. While there is some overlap in functionality between the two boxes, they are more meant to compliment each other than to compete. I own an AxeFx Ultra as well as an Eventide H8000FW. While the AxeFx can't touch the quality of the FX on the Eventide , they are excellent and more than adequate for a guitarist in both a studio and live situation.

There are many threads on here talking about pushing the processing limits on the AxeFx DSP with some of the FX chains that have been created by users. This is a situation where the Eventide would complement the AxeFX in it's ability to off load the verbs/chorus and flangers to the Eventide in the chain and let the Axe handle the cabinet, distortion etc.

Both units would compliment each other in a guitar rack and offer a larger range of guitar "sound" possibilities.

Eventides are made in the USA and are not cheap. They are a high quality (pro) device and you get what you pay for like the AxeFx. If you are looking for the best over all device for a guitar then the AxeFx wins hands down. If however you want to take the AxeFx to new levels then throw and Eventide into the mix and you will probably never run out of ideas or sounds.

To take it to an even deeper level, use a midi guitar like a Brian Moore and add a rack synth like a Roland JV-5080 and you have a sick amount of possibilities of what you can do with a guitar.

IMO It's all good!

Cheers,

Vince

The Eclipse is a harmonizer with lush reverbs/chorus/flangers and other FX that are tweakable and the AxeFx is an all in one Guitar FX modeling DSP device.

As stated in the manual, the Axe-fx is first an formost an effect processor that does amp and cab modelling. They are both multi-effects units.
We are not talking about the H8000FW, we are talking about the Eclipse. 2 different beasts. While they compliment each other wonderfully, I don't think they were "meant" to do so. The manual clearly states the Ultras effects were meant to stand on their own.

The Axe-fx is also made in the USA. The price of the Eclipse is cheaper than that of the Ultra.

Ok, here we go again having extensively used both. At one time, I had both in my rack

Here is my take on the Eclipse vs Ultra:

Hardware:
The Axe-fx is 2U the Eclipse 1U. Less space in the rack for eclipse more screen on the Axe-fx.
Ins and outs:
Eclipse has all balanced ins/outs. It has 2 analog ins (1/4 or XLR), 2 analog outs (1/4 and XLR), AES/BEU ins and outs, S/PDIF ins and outs, ADAT optical ins/and outs, word clock, midi in/out/thru
The Ultra has only unbalanced ins and 2 balanced outs. The Ultra has a total of 4 analog ins all unbalanced, 4 outputs (2 1/4, 2 XLR and 1/4), one set of input/outs can be used for an effects loop or seperate ins/ outs. S/PDIF ins/outs. AES/BEU out (no in), no word clock. MIDI in/out/thru

The Eclipse has a built in sample rate converter and can support multiple sample rates up to 96Khz, the Ultra can only support 48Khz.

Both have to foot pedal jacks and remote power for devices thru 7 pin MIDI.

The Eclipse has a compact flash card for storing presets

Algorithms
The 2 units use different paradigms for effects. The Ultra is guitar centric arranging things in a 12x4 matrix of blocks. Each block can contain an effect such as an amp, cab, reverb, chorus, etc. The Eclipse has a large set of predefined algorithms. Each algorithm may contain one or many effects. You can only use 2 algorithms at any given time. Turning individual effects on/off is not as intuitive or easy to do as in the axe-fx. The Eclipse is not really guitar centric.

The Eclipse, on whole, has finer granularity in its effects. This allows for great detail but at the cost of easy programming. The Eclipse is not as user friendly as the Ultra IMO, the user interface seems to be laid out more for an engineer the an average user.

Routing options are very limited on the Eclipse. The Ultra's routing possibilities are virtually endless. With 4 ins and outs adding external effects or completely seperate signals paths make for an extremely powerful tool.

Effects

The effects in general of both units are fantastic. The Ultras effects have tendency to be less colored than the Eclipse which adds that Eventide flavor to most things (not a bad thing). The with the ultra adding eq, feedback loops, advanced tabs,etc. can be used for getting more colored results.

Reverb. The Eclipse is deeper in how it can be programmed and it can get REALLY huge. The Ultra does allow for as large of a reverb w/o using a plex delay or diffuser to supplement it. That being said when you use a couple of the axe-fx blocks together , you can get marvously thick, lush verbs. The reverb are MUCH easier to program on the Axe-fx (just seleect the type of reverb and adjust a couple of parameters), the Eclipse uses more obsure terminology and take longer to craft IMO. However, you can get some superb reverb both from the presets and from taking the time to craft your own on the Eclipse.

Chorus/Flange/modulation - I love the chorus/Flange on the axe-fx, dialing it in is a relative breeze that parameter names are intuitive and get a great chorus is easy. The Eclipse has great preset chorus and you can do a lot with them. They sound great but they are a real pain to program. The flange is similar. With the addition of the zero-thru flange setting on the axe-fx, it is one of my favorite digital flangers. In general, both units have excellent modualtion effects, the eclipse is generally more granular while the axe-fx is generally much easier to dial things in. Again IMO.

The ring mod and comb filtering is much better on the Eclipse IMO

Non-linear/drive effects
When it comes to distortions/preamps/cabs etc - the Ultra stands alone there

Pitch/Harmony

The quality of the pitches goes to the Eclipse, while the Ultra is not bad (better than the TC IMO). It Eclipse tends to have a sweeter more musical sound. The Ultra has better tracking in my experience. It can even go glitch free thru simple chords. Plus you can place the pitch block any where in the signal chain and get the pitch source from either the Ultra input or the blocks input. The Eclipse can do a total of 8 voices shifted. The Ultra can only do 4.

Modifiers

You can put a modifier on just about any parameter in the Eclipse. The ultra is much more select about what you can modify. The Eclipse also allow you 3 different ways to modify something (unipolar -from base up to a point , bipolar - up and below a point, and absolute - between % point of the parameters range). The ultra only has unipolar. Both offer extensive modifying ability. The Axe-fx is easier to wrap your head around and program. The Eclipse take a bit longer to get the grasp of. The Ultra has an auto engage capability. to automatically engage a effect block w/ a foot controller sweep.

For me, it basically boils down to this. They are both pro-quality effects units. The eclipse is generally deeper with many parameter able to go to higher extremes. The Axe-fx allow for much greater routing capabilities, the abilty to craft you own effects chains instead of programmed algorithms. The Eclipse hardware (balanced ins/outs, SRC, extensive digital capabilities) fits supremely in the studio. The Axe-fx lacks some of those studio features. It can still do quite well, but again is very guitar centric. The Axe-fx has fast switching time while the Eclipse (even after the update) is very slow.

Finally, the customer service. While Eventide has fine support, Fractal is a customer driven company. They constantly listen to the users and make changes based upon that input. It is quite remarkable. Any bugs that are found are quickly squashed. Eventide is much slower to admit and correct bugs IMO. On the other hand, they generally have very few because they don't change things as often.

javajunkie said:
The Eclipse is a harmonizer with lush reverbs/chorus/flangers and other FX that are tweakable and the AxeFx is an all in one Guitar FX modeling DSP device.

As stated in the manual, the Axe-fx is first an formost an effect processor that does amp and cab modelling. They are both multi-effects units.
We are not talking about the H8000FW, we are talking about the Eclipse. 2 different beasts. While they compliment each other wonderfully, I don't think they were "meant" to do so. The manual clearly states the Ultras effects were meant to stand on their own.

The Axe-fx is also made in the USA. The price of the Eclipse is cheaper than that of the Ultra.
I'm all for buying products made in the USA PRS guitars mesaboogie amps AXE FX :mrgreen:

One other thing for me. Since the Ultra is so much easier to program and the routing is EXTREMELY liberal, I find it much easier to create my wacky tones instead of relying more on tweaking existing presets. It really frees my thinking and lends itself to experimentation. I didn't find that the case w/ the Eclipse.

I had a gmajor then bought an eclipse.... i had the gmajor all setup where i could control each block with a cc.. i wanted better quality so i upgraded to the eclipse.. i could not replicate what i had on the gmajor at all.. the control was atrocious in comparison.

In my example i had a patch for clean, and one for dirty with every effect tweaked for those type of sounds and turned off. So when i hit a dirty patch, i'd have the gmajor on the dirty settings, and then the FX1 would send what effect i wanted on for that patch. In the eclipse you dont really build from scratch unless you are a programming genious. You start with a patch with the algorithims already on there, and then tweak. at least thats my exprience.

Quality of effects were great, but for a few bux more I picked up the Ultra and stomps all over the eclipse in terms of routablility and many other things. I do wish i could set up a virtual pedal board and bring that into each patch though. As it stands i have a basic patch with all my stuff i usually use, and i just create new patches with different amps but with the same basic setup.

Back
Top Bottom