Ultra, FX loop & cables

Rontti

Hello everyone!

I have evh 50w head and axe ultra connected with 4cm, so I use axe for pre and post fx only. I think I might have a ground loop, theres some hiss from my cabinet which is ok, but also an additional hum occurs, when I dial up my amps volume up. I use regular guitar cables (ts to ts) between the amp and ultra.

I have sought some solutions and came across with humbuster (trs to ts) cables. Is this the right way with ultra? I also have read that axe II is somehow more sensitive to this ground hum issue, compared to ultra. I find it hard to believe, but dont have any experience myself.

Another place I read that front panel's both output knobs should be around 2 o'clock. I have tried these at max position so maybe not a good idea :D

These humbuster cables interest me. However they seem to be hard to find anywhere else but Fractal Shops, so could I just use regular trs to trs cable? I'm not much of a solderer myself.

Thanks for instructions! I finally bought two pairs of TRS and TS cables, cut them in half and soldered them according to instructions. Results: STILL hums. It's clearly a ground loop: if I turn output 2 level all the way down, the hiss from the EVH goes away but the hum remains.

Maybe if I explain my setup:

- A regular guitar cable to Axe front input
- 3 humbuster cables (Axe end TRS, amp end TS):
  • axe fx send to EVH input
  • axe output 1 to EVH fx return
  • axe input 2 to EVH fx send
- Axe front panel settings:
  • input 1 level about 2 o'clock
  • input 2 level about noon (not sure about this yet?)
  • output 1 and 2 at max (I read somewhere if tube amps fx loop is line level, this might be best setting because otherwise signal is too weak. EVH has line level fx loop I guess)
Axe I/O menu settings:
  • input 1 and 2 select: left only
  • output 1 mode: L+R sum
  • phases normal
  • copy out 1 to 2: on

I really hope it's something in my setup that remedies the situation. I just can´t understand how a high-end fx processor and a decent tube amp can't be paired without these kind of problems. My previous pedalboard was working without any hum and I understand that much cheaper fx processors, as GSP1101 and even Boss GT:s pair with EVH very nice.

Hmm ok. Haven't tried that yet, it's just we have grounded power outlets at our house and that's why I'm wondering. Don't know is that the case though.. But I'm intending to try it out at rehearsal place next, if that doesn't help I gotta think of something else. We have a gig coming up in a few weeks so any ideas appreciated :D

Uh, guys? Are you sure a humbuster cable would even be expected to help? I had thought 'humbuster' cable support was an Axe II specific feature? I wouldn't expect a humbuster cable to work any differently than a standard cable on a Std/Ultra. It might even be worse.

Have you tried the ground lift? (Back of the unit).

You might want to look at a Furman or similar to control your power. The M8X2 is like $60.

Last edited:
Yeah zenaxe think youre right, didnt make any difference between humbusters and regular cables. Actually I located more accurately where the hum is, its the connection between axe fx send to EVH input. If I connect axe only to EVH fx loop, theres no hum. And I forgot to mention earlier, the hum occurs only on EVH red channel, although my gain is only at 10 o'clock. Anyweay, I did some more experimenting and I find a few solutions:

1) I use axe in EVH fx loop only. No hum and everything sounds good, downsides are that I cant use axe's effects in front of EVH. I can live without drive pedals, but I have to put compressors in the loop and thats a bit different than in the front.

2) I use axe with 4CM, but dont use red channel at all. Instead put a drive OD808 in front of blue channel, it comes very close to red channel. A bit diffenrent, but close and sounds good.

3) I use 4CM and EVH all the way and live with the hum :D

I could also buy a hum eliminator or a good noise gate, but that costs something again and theres no guarantee that it helps.

Anyway thanks to everyone for tips, hope this helps others too with the same issue!

Thx but tried that also, does nothin. And if you put gate inside the loop (in the axe), it kills the sound.

Think I've found (the final) solution.. Usually less is more, so, I lowered red channels gain to 1, put a od808 in front, drive 0, level max --> voila. This is the basic thing I know, but of course didnt care to try it before :D The hum lowers considerably when reducing amps gain (it clearly has INSANE amounts of it!) and apparently od pedal doesnt affect the hum. So, its all cool now, 100% use of both units, f**k yeah!

Back
Top Bottom