ULTRA FIRMWARE 11.0 MAY 9 2011

Re: ULTRA FIRMWARE 7.04+ PRESETS UPDATED as of (7.0)

dweezil zappa said:
Question...

Do any of you own an Oberheim VCF (Sample and Hold)? That is the device my Dad used on Ship Ahoy from Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar.

Has anyone made a patch that captures that sound well? Just curious...

Thanks, DZ

too bad my ultra is on a gig for the week because i would have tried to do it , i like this kind of challenge with axe-fx !
but i'm sure the patch already posted are great ! so , next time !

Cool that Dweezil is here! I really hope he posts his eruption patch, very curious to see what he came up with, and also the implementation of the multi band compressor...

sinasl1 said:
Cool that Dweezil is here! I really hope he posts his eruption patch, very curious to see what he came up with, and also the implementation of the multi band compressor...

Dude, I have your video of eruption up on my machine right now learning it.

Thanks very much for that....

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr Pete Thorn.

sinasl1 said:

Yeah, not like you haven't been told 1000x times.But, many thanks for you eruption tutorial, it is just awesome. Actually, all them are quite good.

+1 on the multi-compressor ideas :D

Dweezil, being a freak for 80's tones (see my user name) and having watched you when you used to bring your amp and guitar into the MTV offices and VJ it is truly an honor to have you as part of the Axe-Fx community. Look forward to continue hearin'/seein' ya on here!

dweezil zappa said:
I chose to go direct after heavily scrutinizing the sound of the Fractal running through guitar cabinets vs full range monitors. Ultimately, for me I found that the Axe Effects sounds best through full range monitors. I think that going through guitar cabs eliminates some of the Axe Effects best features. You have to disable the cab modeling and power amp features in order to get a decent sound through a guitar cabinet. At that point you're also at the mercy of the quality of mic pre and microphone you're using to capture your sound.

On the road consistency is very important. I will definitely get more consistency going straight into the PA and monitoring through in ears. Probably more consistency than I currently get. My Analog rig sounds really good but it changes slightly night after night. Level changes are the most annoying thing to deal with.

The approach I've developed for programming is listening on input through the intended recording device - in my case Nuendo - to make sure I'm sending correct levels to "tape". I found that it is also very important to be familiar with the specific meters you're using while programming. Different meters can cause inconsistency in levels. I'm trying to make all my presets have the same apparent loudness and sound like finished album sounds. I often use a multiband compressor at the end of each preset as a Mastering device.

In the case of the Eruption sound I made, the multiband compressor was essential in capturing the right frequency balance and creating the right feel while playing. Compressing the high frequencies a little harder so it can bite but not take your head off.

I find that I always need to have a reference - finished Mastered record - when I'm programming. I find that it's very easy to chase my tail and waste time without a reference. If you're in the ball park of a professionally mastered record then your chances of achieving a well balanced sound that will translate to a PA are good. In general I'm not a big fan of guitar sounds that have too much 1 -2 and 4k in them. I am careful not to over emphasize those frequencies since they can be fatiguing to listen to.

I may post a preset or 2 at some point. The Eruption one is really close to the actual record sound. I even placed a pitch module in the first position that tunes the whole guitar down to E flat so I could play Eruption in the right key without re-tuning. Of course it can be bypassed if I am using a guitar tuned down a half step. The other thing about that is that the eq is dialed in for a guitar that is tuned down. It will sound too bright when played by a guitar in standard tuning.

The fact that you can tune down like that without artifacts is insane. Evil Genius....

DZ

I'm not alone!!!!!

First of all, welcome!

I have been making sounds in that manner for a long time. I'm always trying to sound as much like a finished recording as possible, even live, even when I was using tube rigs. I've rarely heard of anyone else doing the same, but I always thought that it was the best way to find my place in the mix and give the audience what they want to hear.

It's encouraging to hear of such an accomplished player using a similar method.

D

fremen said:
it was a flexi disc distributed in an issue of Guitar Player (around 1986 I think)
I remember a GuitarPlayer issue that year, he was pictured with a blue Madonna and a watermelon Jackson (guitars you just don't forget looking at) ...I didn't get a floppy record :?

Man, you still got those guitars? those were cool

I just signed up here, trying to decide if I should spring for the Ultra or the Standard.
And my first post is in a thread with Dweezil Zappa ....:shock:
"We're not worthy, We're not worthy, We are scum..." :lol:

Thanks for the tips with the MBC.
The Ultra it shall be!

Thanks you guys, for the kind words, glad you liked my Eruption lesson!

I remember that blue Madonna guitar as well, as well as cool pics of other guitars Dweezil had, like the VH rasta guitar, so badass!

I remember seeing Z do the endless covers medley thing, was over 10 minutes long of them playing about 4 bars of a song, then switching... I think there was well over 100 songs played. Dweezil, how do you remember what's next when you are say, 8 minutes in ? :) Amazing.

sinasl1 said:

I remember that blue Madonna guitar as well, as well as cool pics of other guitars Dweezil had, like the VH rasta guitar, so badass!

I remember seeing Z do the endless covers medley thing, was over 10 minutes long of them playing about 4 bars of a song, then switching... I think there was well over 100 songs played. Dweezil, how do you remember what's next when you are say, 8 minutes in ? :) Amazing.

That sounds awesome. I'd love to see that. I wonder if any footage exists online somewhere?

Pete,

Welcome back. I'm a huge fan of yours. I may have said this to you in the past at "The Gear Page", but you were the person who actually put me over the top to buy an AXE FX Ultra with that original instrumental recording you made last spiring using your friend's AXE FX. Actually, it was THAT and also the raw "3 amps" mp3 you put up with the AC/DC, Van Halen, and Neil Young sounds demonstrated. In fact, you also almost also sold me on a Suhr Badger. Ha-ha! The AXE FX actually suits my present needs a little better, so I went in this direction. Anyway, it's good to see that you still are involved with this unit on some level. I'd be interested to hear how you're still utilizing it these days. Last I knew, it was (possibly) your primary effect unit with your Komet Conkorde rig live with Chris Cornell. Is that correct? Also, have you considered ever trying the AXE-FX as an all-in-one solution and use it direct with the amp & cab sims? Even for smaller gigs, jams, or side projects? I have full respect for your ear and your ability to get the most out of gear. I'd love to hear how you've used it lately.

browlett said:
sinasl1 said:

That sounds awesome. I'd love to see that. I wonder if any footage exists online somewhere?
i found the "peavey medley"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXKknqo5AHE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vPkxhfI ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ndfiSfQ ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYF2x4v6 ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4w1yrLx ... re=related

sinasl1 said:

this lesson is really great for sure !!!!!
i tried to do a side by side sound with axe fx on original record (http://rbul1.free.fr/vanhalen.mp3) , not as good as yours and dweezil but he did the job

would you do a beat it solo lesson ? lol , i did a cover few years ago (the sound sucks !) but it seems i do begin harmonic and some licks are not good way to play them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSP1Ly_SzQU
(video out of sync i know)

BTW i'm curious : do you use axe fx live ? with tube amp, FRFR , in ears ? additionnal pedal ? thanks !
stef

Hi guys-

to answer some questions-

Live with Chris Cornell, I use the Axe FX extensively, the rig I just took to europe is pictured below:

photo-11.jpg

photo_3.jpg

Basically, the axe is in a loop of the rjm switcher.... and it also gets fed after the head, and then that signal goes to the randall power amp and out to 2 wet cabs. So it's a w/d/w rig. I can use the axe like a pedal in front of the head or post head for delays/verbs and stuff.

It works brilliantly like this.

I would for sure consider going FRFR with the axe, on certain gigs. With Chris, we are more old school rock, it'd just be too weird with Yogi (guitar stage right) and Corey (bass) rocking out through amps onstage to then have one guy in the mix just direct. Plus I love amps... Suhr makes my PT100 model you see here in the pic and it's a great head, I love it! I also use the Egnater pre you see in the rack for some other tones. So at least for now I'm sticking with the Axe as a really full featured effect processor, using everything it has to offer (I use the drive pedal models even, in front of the amp) but not using the amp sims or speaker sims live.

But if I was doing a one off TV show overseas, or a session in town, or a number of other applications... I'd totally consider taking just the Axe. I haven't used it live like that yet, but I know it'd be great and I'd do it without hesitation. I don't really have a pedalboard for it yet that I could use in that scenario- I'd have to put something together with a midi pedal and an expression or two... I've done a bunch of direct recording with it, I'm using it alongside real amps on my record I'm recording now in between tours and it sounds killer!

It's not any one thing- it's a really full featured unit. One of the things I think people need to get past is thinking of it as a total replacement for their amps and cabs and effects, and if it doesn't measure up in that light, then it's not good enough. I mean, it does so many things, and it's not more expensive than eventide multi effectors or whatever, and yet it does so much more. You can certainly use it as a great all in one solution... but ya know, it makes a great rack delay too :) And anywhere in between those extremes.

Rock on!

Thanks, Pete.

That's really interesting. It just goes to show what this thing can do. Using it as an effects prcessor in a loop, but also being able to use the drives in front of your head is a really interesting concept. Your thoughts about how versatile it is and the number of different ways you can use it in many different situations & applications is spot on. That's one of the things that I don't get about bashers on other forums who take the "My Matchless sounds better, so it stinks" stance. It's a diverse, high quality tool that can be whatever you make of it. Anyway, thanks for sharing pictures and details about your rig. Very cool.

great rig !!! it must sound killer !
and the W/D/W thing with axe fx must be really great ! :cool:

stef

yeah it's pretty amazing doing w/d/w- I have some presets with a stereo delay for solos, where I tie the feedback and mix to the expression pedal, and at the end of the solo I roll on that pedal and the feedback and mix go way up, I can only imagine how t sounds in the house, in my in ears it sounds like the world is ending, haha :) I love it. Pitch shifter for whammy (I'm playing Morello solos!), works amazing, as well as the ability to get sounds like rotary on "Black Hole Sun" and really fine tune it using compression, parametric eq to get a notchy mid thing going, etc.

I've said it before, but programming the axe fx is a pleasure, you can be working on a really hard sound and every few minutes get this feeling of wow, it just got 15% better, and on and on til you all of a sudden hit on it and are grinning like a moron.... I usually am like ok, that's pretty good and I stop,but with this box, I usually end up surpassing my expectation of what I'd be able to come up with and end up over the top, if that makes sense.

We played this song for the 1st time in a long time at our last show, off the Euphoria Morning album, called "Disappearing One". It has a melodic part that sounds almost like sitar, but with more sustain... not sure what they used on the album... but I dialed up a preset using(I think it's called this?) the humanizer effect, where you can add vowel sounds to notes- I tied it to the expression pedal, and got this amazing sound, I can play a melody and move the pedal and get a wah-like, but different, effect that is so cool, it just sounds perfect for the part.

sinasl1 said:
yeah it's pretty amazing doing w/d/w- I have some presets with a stereo delay for solos, where I tie the feedback and mix to the expression pedal, and at the end of the solo I roll on that pedal and the feedback and mix go way up, I can only imagine how t sounds in the house, in my in ears it sounds like the world is ending, haha :) I love it. Pitch shifter for whammy (I'm playing Morello solos!), works amazing, as well as the ability to get sounds like rotary on "Black Hole Sun" and really fine tune it using compression, parametric eq to get a notchy mid thing going, etc.

I've said it before, but programming the axe fx is a pleasure, you can be working on a really hard sound and every few minutes get this feeling of wow, it just got 15% better, and on and on til you all of a sudden hit on it and are grinning like a moron.... I usually am like ok, that's pretty good and I stop,but with this box, I usually end up surpassing my expectation of what I'd be able to come up with and end up over the top, if that makes sense.

We played this song for the 1st time in a long time at our last show, off the Euphoria Morning album, called "Disappearing One". It has a melodic part that sounds almost like sitar, but with more sustain... not sure what they used on the album... but I dialed up a preset using(I think it's called this?) the humanizer effect, where you can add vowel sounds to notes- I tied it to the expression pedal, and got this amazing sound, I can play a melody and move the pedal and get a wah-like, but different, effect that is so cool, it just sounds perfect for the part.

That is the formant filter ;)

Pete brings up a great point about the challenge of going FRFR in a band setting when the rest of the group is cranking through amps. In my group I've been going direct for the better part of four years. It takes a bit of getting used to but we incorporated electronic drums (necessary when you are part of an 80's tribute group) and finally convinced our bass player to leave the Aguilera head he loves so much at home. We have a non existent stage volume which can be a little weird if you aren't doing IEM's (which we are) but once sound guys realize that they aren't fighting stage volume from acoustic drums, guitar stacks and bass amps the FOH mix tends to be amazing. It is a new way of thinking for sure but the upside is huge going FRFR if everyone is on board.

Secret80'sMan said:
Pete brings up a great point about the challenge of going FRFR in a band setting when the rest of the group is cranking through amps. In my group I've been going direct for the better part of four years. It takes a bit of getting used to but we incorporated electronic drums (necessary when you are part of an 80's tribute group) and finally convinced our bass player to leave the Aguilera head he loves so much at home. We have a non existent stage volume which can be a little weird if you aren't doing IEM's (which we are) but once sound guys realize that they aren't fighting stage volume from acoustic drums, guitar stacks and bass amps the FOH mix tends to be amazing. It is a new way of thinking for sure but the upside is huge going FRFR if everyone is on board.

This is the way my band has been doing since 1993. We've been accused of doing playback shows more than one time. ;) People don't understand that a 10 000W PA system can make small things sound big. Haha! Needless to say, we're sounding better than ever nowadays.

Secret80'sMan said:

yes i saw guys doing like this , and i tried with my band (electronic drum, bass with DI, i had a VG88 direct PA)
2 bad thing for me doing this thing : you can loose "dynamic" of playing a real drum, a real amp etc on stage, the sound looks more like a CD than a real amp played or a real snare drum played , you loose some "3D"

people in front feel this thing and while the sound is better for earing, almost like a CD, the "live" sound lose something , don't know how to explain.
tube amp is real piano
axe-fx is great synth.
both have great feeling and their utility , but for live if i had the choice i would always go with piano ; just for the "3D" feel.same for drum.

sinasl1 said:

Hey, I just saw you guys are coming to Denver in April. I will definitely be there.

Back
Top Bottom