Ultra - do you have a "go to" cabinet and mic

Matt_J71

If you are creating a Crunch sound, clean sound, lead sound? Do you have certain mic and cabinets that just always seem to get you where you want to go, or does it really depend on the amp model you are using?

Lead - Recto 2 and JM2000, both with R121. Hands down. No fizz, bright (but not piercing), great mids. Almost always works perfectly.

Crunch - heavier sounds I'll start with Recto 1 and JM2000, both with R121. Similar characteristics as above but a little more hair and tightness. Lighter crunch I'll usually try JM2000 with 2x12 Blue or another 1x12 or 2x12.

Clean - I usually start with 2x12 Blue and 1x12 Tweed and R121 or E609 Dyn mics, and scroll through until I hear the right type of bass/midrange that retains the brightness I want. There are many more options since I don't have to worry about getting rid of fizz (many of the 4x12 cabs are too fizzy and/or have weird midranges that I haven't learned how to utilize).

If you are creating a Crunch sound, clean sound, lead sound? Do you have certain mic and cabinets that just always seem to get you where you want to go, or does it really depend on the amp model you are using?

2x12 Brit
4x12 Recto
4x12 G12H30 (or 4x12 30W)

These three Cabinets i remember were bread and butter for me at "standard" times with focus to the last one ... works well for clean, crunch and is usable for highgain also ...

Great thread !

Clean - 2x12 Brit
Crunch - 4x12 30 w
Lead - 4x12 30 w, 4x12 Cali, all with no mic

I am new to the Ultra - why without a mic? What effect does that have on the sound? Does it just remove the coloring of the mic from the sound?

I am new to the Ultra - why without a mic? What effect does that have on the sound? Does it just remove the coloring of the mic from the sound?

Correct! I used to run the R121 a lot but as you led too in your OP it dependes on the amp sim and application your going for ie FRFR, recording, IEM. Another good trick was to run the 6"oval in parallel with whatever cab you are running it would really make things cut through. You just need to drop the level of both cabs 1.5dB.

Last edited:
I typically use Recto 2 also. I guess I am not alone :) I like German as well. I usually pick no mic because it is more full range sounding.

Before I started using outside IR files....I would typically use the R121 or the U86(?) mic as it seemed to add a crispness without being shrill/ice-picky. Always felt with my guitars it was hard to dial in the high end.

I have to say, conversations like this always make me twice as interested to sit down and try new setups or whatever.

lovin the mad oak basketweave R121.used axomatic to convert it to the ultra.sounds big with the d60 amp.(keep bass low,like at 2):)

Axomatic is free conversion software on the ownhammer website you can covert pre firmware 10 axe 2 cabs into standard or ultra. Btw I bought the mad oak pack and used the basket weave tv mix with the brown amp for a whole gig and sounded great.

hmmm, I may have to check that out. Dont they just sell the ir's for the Ultra though? or is that to convert non Fractal IR's

Oh yeah, my bad. The axeomatic is if you need to convert, but the fractal cab packs have ultra ready to go

Back
Top Bottom