Ultra 8.02 wont bite

juliancs

Inspired
I can't get it to load. 8.01 went fine last night, but after trying 4 times today, downloading twice, no luck. My MOTU is flashing midi out, but the midi in on the Axe-FX isnt budging....

MOTU flashing: good
Axe's MIDI light won't indicate anything for firmware uploads, so that doesn't mean anything that it's not lighting up.

Does it still say "Awaiting File" or is there a progress bar? -- If this is the case, nothing's getting to the Axe
Does the progress bar ever have any progress made? -- If this is the case, mess with speed settings/try different software/try a different interface

Can someone point me to haw to use midi ox please? I've tried about 5 times with Axe Edit with re downloaded firmware. It gets to 38% & then jumps back to about 10% on Axe Fx Screen. This is the first time I've had any problems with updateing firmware.

aircadet said:
Can someone point me to haw to use midi ox please? I've tried about 5 times with Axe Edit with re downloaded firmware. It gets to 38% & then jumps back to about 10% on Axe Fx Screen. This is the first time I've had any problems with updateing firmware.

pm sent for mailadress - will sent you pdf with instructions

8.01 didn't move with the editor, but went in fine with Bome's SendSX. So did 8.02.

SendSX is much simpler than Midi-OX. SendSX two windows: in and out. Instructions for Firmware update with SendSX:
Install the program, set the midi-ports. Prepare the Axe-FX (Utility button, yada yada). Doubleclick on the .syx file and hit send.

That's really all there is to it.

If you need more Midi functionality go for Midi-OX, but for the Axe general use get SendSX.

Dutch said:
8.01 didn't move with the editor, but went in fine with Bome's SendSX. So did 8.02.

SendSX is much simpler than Midi-OX. SendSX two windows: in and out. Instructions for Firmware update with SendSX:
Install the program, set the midi-ports. Prepare the Axe-FX (Utility button, yada yada). Doubleclick on the .syx file and hit send.

That's really all there is to it.

If you need more Midi functionality go for Midi-OX, but for the Axe general use get SendSX.

Right on, Dutch. Bome's SendSX has enabled me to leave the FA beta editor in the dust.

Seems like there are more firmware update troubles than normal being reported with 8.02. Coincidentally, I also had issues updating for the first time ever. I had to do about a dozen attempts before it took. However, I am also having issues with my interface (some flaky capacitors I need to replace), so I assumed it was just some glitching or noise getting into my midi signal.

I really don't see how the content being transferred could possibly have any effect on the transfer itself. MIDI transport is "stupid", the sender simply spews the data at the receiver.

It ought to be possible (I'm guessing) for the Fractal Editor to employ a custom, more robust, transfer protocol with bi-directional comms using two MIDI cables...

Editor -> Axe: ping!
Axe -> Editor: I'm here
Editor -> Axe: here's firmware block 1, 1024 bytes, checksum 0x16FC2D07
Axe -> Editor: got block 1, checksum ok
Editor -> Axe: here's firmware block 2, 1024 bytes, checksum 0x6B24043C
Axe -> Editor: got block 2, checksum bad, re-send block 2
Editor -> Axe: here's firmware block 2, 1024 bytes, checksum 0x6B24043C
Axe -> Editor: got block 2, checksum ok
. . .
Editor -> Axe: here's firmware block 400, 276 bytes, checksum 0xF4DC893A
Axe -> Editor: got block 400, checksum ok
Editor -> Axe: firmware complete, 400,000 bytes, checksum 0x4856D2
Axe -> Editor: got firmware, checksum ok

... or am I losing the plot?

I finally got 8.02 in my Ultra. I tried SendSX & it got 24000 of 31200 lines before it jumped back. It must of been my Card, Audiphile 2496, although I kept reinstalling drivers & it seemed to do everything else OK. In the end I went back to old drivers I had with it & got 8.02 in with old Axe editor. Thanks to those who helped.

Paul

I could not load the 8.02 either with the new editor (bad checksum and awfully slow) but I tried with the LarsB editor and it worked just fine. I also have a MOTU midi interface.

Back
Top Bottom