Ultimate Fusion Collection (FAS Community Edition)

I love Shadowfax - saw them live many times back in the 80s and 90s. My favorite album is "The Odd Get Even" but they are all great.

I was going to post The Odd Get Even, but couldn’t decide what was best of their post Windham Hill and Charlie Bisharat period. I agree TOGE is top notch. I got to see them in 88’ or 89’. I have a special place for the older stuff because it was the point in time I was realizing the human spirit is just a conduit in which great music is conveyed and learning to let go long enough for the magic to happen. The passing of Chuck Greenberg was a real loss.

Edit/Update:
I was just looking over the recording/member chronology and for some reason I thought Charlie Bisharat had left the band by TOGE. That is wrong. Well now I know why it’s so good. Seriously, I got married in 91’ and lost track of some music stuff and spending money of every recording that was released. My Brother was divorced and single again so he was back to spending lots of money on CD’s, etc. so I was able to somewhat keep track of things through him.😝 This was something that I missed.

Since I just celebrated 32 years of marriage I’m still watching money.😉

Last edited:
I just discovered this Finnish guitar player. He is jaw dropping good. But I guess you would have to have chops to get Jordan Rudess to play keys on a track. The album below is the first one I listened to from 2022, It sounds like fusion to me.

@NoviceEternal another of your talented fellow citizens!

Last edited:
Yeah I like it. I was just about to go look if there are any other notable players. The Bass is kick’n.

BTW, thanks for the Anniversary congrats!
Your welcome I'm coming up on 27 years together with my amazing wife.

In this case, and for most of the newbies continuing the tradition of this awesome genre - there probably isn't anyone you would consider notable. Just young-ins becoming the new notables!

Your welcome I'm coming up on 27 years together with my amazing wife.
Congrats!!
In this case, and for most of the newbies continuing the tradition of this awesome genre - there probably isn't anyone you would consider notable. Just young-ins becoming the new notables!
Actually Mika Tyyskä is 46 and Jordan Rudess is 66. Not exactly young. Probably why I recognized some experience and maturity in the music.

I know one thing it’s not easy finding detailed info. Most links go to streaming services which are notoriously lacking in credits.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Derek has made some great fusion since he left Dream Theater. If someone else doesn't post the others than I will certainly make sure they are included. But with the lineup below I'm surprised no one got to this one. Where else are you going to find matchups trading solos like Joe Bonamassa and Steve Lukather, Zakk Wylde and Michael Schenker, all backed by Simon Philips on drums with an all star list of bassists..

As if that weren't enough it has Nuno on track 2, Mike Stern on track 7, Bumblefoot on track 8, and Steve Stevens on tracks 1 & 4.
Here are the deets:
  • Derek Sherinian – keyboard, production
  • Simon Phillips – drums, production
  • Tony Franklin – bass guitar (tracks 1, 6)
  • Ernest Tibbs – bass guitar (tracks 2, 5, 7)
  • Ric Fierabracci – bass guitar (track 3)
  • Jeff Berlin – bass guitar (track 4)
  • Jimmy Johnson – bass guitar (track 8)
  • Steve Stevens – guitar (tracks 1, 4)
  • Nuno Bettencourt – guitar (track 2)
  • Joe Bonamassa – guitar (track 5)
  • Steve Lukather – guitar (track 5)
  • Michael Schenker – guitar (track 6)
  • Zakk Wylde – guitar (track 6)
  • Mike Stern – guitar (track 7)
  • Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal – guitar (track 8)
  • Anna Camporini - cello (track 6)
  • Carlo Calegari - double bass (track 6)
  • Ashwin Batish - sitar (track 6)
  • Pirro Gjiondi - violin/viola (track 6)
  • Armen Ra - theremin (tracks 1, 2, 4, 6, 8)
Whole album:

Derek has made some great fusion since he left Dream Theater. If someone else doesn't post the others than I will certainly make sure they are included. But with the lineup below I'm surprised no one got to this one. Where else are you going to find matchups trading solos like Joe Bonamassa and Steve Lukather, Zakk Wylde and Michael Schenker, all backed by Simon Philips on drums with an all star list of bassists..

As if that weren't enough it has Nuno on track 2, Mike Stern on track 7, Bumblefoot on track 8, and Steve Stevens on tracks 1 & 4.
Here are the deets:
  • Derek Sherinian – keyboard, production
  • Simon Phillips – drums, production
  • Tony Franklin – bass guitar (tracks 1, 6)
  • Ernest Tibbs – bass guitar (tracks 2, 5, 7)
  • Ric Fierabracci – bass guitar (track 3)
  • Jeff Berlin – bass guitar (track 4)
  • Jimmy Johnson – bass guitar (track 8)
  • Steve Stevens – guitar (tracks 1, 4)
  • Nuno Bettencourt – guitar (track 2)
  • Joe Bonamassa – guitar (track 5)
  • Steve Lukather – guitar (track 5)
  • Michael Schenker – guitar (track 6)
  • Zakk Wylde – guitar (track 6)
  • Mike Stern – guitar (track 7)
  • Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal – guitar (track 8)
  • Anna Camporini - cello (track 6)
  • Carlo Calegari - double bass (track 6)
  • Ashwin Batish - sitar (track 6)
  • Pirro Gjiondi - violin/viola (track 6)
  • Armen Ra - theremin (tracks 1, 2, 4, 6, 8)
Whole album:

I both love and am confused by Mike Stern. Saw him at New Morning in Paris. Monster player.

Back
Top Bottom