Ultimate Ernie Ball Expression Pedal Mod

The dead spot at the end of the Boss FV500's always annoyed me. I took one apart and realized that it's a mechanical issue, not anything to do with the pot or it's sweep. Tried a Mission/Dunlop style pedal, and could never get used to the height of that style chassis. Ernie Ball volume pedals were always my favorite, so I rigged mine up with a new pot for a linear sweep.

Very happy with how they turned out!

Ultimate Ernie Ball Volume Pedal JR mod

IMG_3141.JPG

Watch this video first!!! If you don’ think that you can get the pedal back together properly, don’t mess with this mod.

Order this part number from Mouser: 785-380C110K It’s a heavy duty sealed, 10k Linear taper pot, perfect for expression pedal use. Not the cheapest pot out there, but I’m sure you only want to do this once.

Modifying the pedal

Remove the two screws holding the jack plate to your pedal.

Using your spring puller, disconnect the spring from the strings.

Remove the two screws holding the pot mounting assembly from the pedal.

Using an allen wrench, disconnect the brass bushing attached to the potentiometer.

IMG_3145.jpg

At this point you can remove the circuit board from the jackplate, and the pot from the mounting assembly. Put these aside if you ever want to return the pedal back to stock.

Using a 3/8” drill bit, drill enough through the mounting assembly to create a hole the full width of the bit. Flip the mounting assembly over, and drill all the way through. This will prevent burrs that you would need to file off.

IMG_3146.jpgIMG_3147.jpg

Mount the pot to the plate using the supplied hardware. Pot tabs pointing towards the rubber bumper, opposite side of the idler pulley.

Next mount the brass bushing on the new potentiometer. Make sure that when you tighten down the set screw your pot turns freely.

You will need to cut off the excess shaft. I used a Dremel cut off wheel designed for metal. Watch heat build up so you don’t ruin the pot. Do this with the bushing attached. It will act as a heat sink, and cutting guide. When the bushing gets hot to the touch, let it cool and start again.

IMG_3148.jpg

At this point, soldered three 4 ½” wires to the pot. Be careful to bend the pot tabs away from the mount so you don’t inadvertently ground anything. Solder the opposite ends to a TRS jack.

If you want to get fancy, you could probably connect up to two more TRS jacks in parallel to have one pedal control multiple expression assignments.

IMG_3153.JPG

Once this is done, you can hookup the strings as shown in the Ernie Ball video. Some kind of hook as shown in the video is a must have tool! I also rubbed a candle on the string to make it easier to work with.

Carefully attach the TRS jack to the mounting plate, ensuring that nothing will ground out when a cable is plugged in.

On the Mission pedals, one goes to the switch, the other to the pot/sweep. I'm not sure if it's it the same for the EB

Hmmm.. just not sure from the above photo which color from pot goes to which pot on TRS jack.. I mean, what color to Tip, ring and sleeve respectively.

I did this mod and wired as follows:

From Left to Right (as in pic): Sleeve, Ring, Tip.

Expression works perfectly with my Rocktron Midi Raider. Thanks, S.Fitzsimmons!

I thought I would mention that a 10K pot doesn't work for every device. Some devices like Strymon wants to see 100k-250k. But you can order the same Honeywell pots in different ohm values.

Wow! Nice work. That's an impressive mod. The EB volume pedals were definitely my favorite before the EV-1 arrived. I am reconfiguring my board with 2 EV-1 pedals, and 1 Mission controller (for wah). I love the feel and throw of the EV-1, and prefer the crybaby-style action of the Mission for rapid adjustment effects.

That's perfect and shame on me I didn't see (edit: let's use proper english -> haven't seen) this earlier, because I have two of those pedals here ready for becoming my expression pedals. I'll use your guide as a starting point, for sure!

So thanks a lot!

I've actually done this (very similar) on two of my EBs last year, thanks to user MGW showing me how-to. So I can vouch for how well this works.

This is killer man, good post

Nice work!

According to the answer to the 4th question EB is nowadays using Tocos pots:
Ernie Ball

Guess what? They make a 10K linear version as required for expression pedals:
24mm TOCOS B10K 10K Linear Taper Potentiometer 20mm Split Shaft RV24YN20S-in Potentiometers from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
6.50 for a pair and shipped for free. They seem real. I got me a couple, I think from the above shop, they feel very well made and work perfectly. Very smooth and just the right amount of friction. Shaft is shorter than the one Fitz used so no cutting off excess. Possibly they could just drop in unaltered.

I'm not using it in EB pedals, I used a cheap wah pedal. I did have to file one side of the shaft a bit flat to get the gear on, but that was pretty easy.
I just have the problem that the wah pedal is built in such a way that it can not take the pot to its extremes. I found a gear that is slightly smaller than the original that was in there but it still takes the pot far from all the way around. I wonder how Mission solved that, maybe the larger throw it has fixes it. My LF+ 12+ has a bit of trouble calibrating to it. It just occurred to me that maybe I should turn the pot so it is at 0 for heel down.
Also the wah footpad's turning point is not centered. It is heavy at the front and mine is not adjustable for torque like Mission's are, it has a tendency to fall forward when the pedalboard gets shaken, or even when I put it heel down. I'll try shaving down the rubber pads a bit further.

Still, none of that applies to EB.

Last edited:
Nice work!

According to the answer to the 4th question EB is nowadays using Tocos pots:
Ernie Ball

Guess what? They make a 10K linear version as required for expression pedals:
24mm TOCOS B10K 10K Linear Taper Potentiometer 20mm Split Shaft RV24YN20S-in Potentiometers from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
6.50 for a pair and shipped for free. They seem real. I got me a couple, I think from the above shop, they feel very well made and work perfectly. Very smooth and just the right amount of friction. Shaft is shorter than the one Fitz used so no cutting off excess. Possibly they could just drop in unaltered.

I'm not using it in EB pedals, I used a cheap wah pedal. I did have to file one side of the shaft a bit flat to get the gear on, but that was pretty easy.
I just have the problem that the wah pedal is built in such a way that it can not take the pot to its extremes. I found a gear that is slightly smaller than the original that was in there but it still takes the pot far from all the way around. I wonder how Mission solved that, maybe the larger throw it has fixes it. My LF+ 12+ has a bit of trouble calibrating to it. It just occurred to me that maybe I should turn the pot so it is at 0 for heel down.
Also the wah footpad's turning point is not centered. It is heavy at the front and mine is not adjustable for torque like Mission's are, it has a tendency to fall forward when the pedalboard gets shaken, or even when I put it heel down. I'll try shaving down the rubber pads a bit further.

Still, none of that applies to EB.

Great find. I did do mods to my two EBJr pedals, works beautifully. Will get a few of these pots to do one or two more.
I found this stores Chinese shop so I get a better pricing ;)
RV24YN 20S B103 10K ¿Éµ÷µç×è È«ÐÂÔ­×°-ÌÔ±¦Íø

Its a great mod for sure, way cheaper than the EV-1 as well (especially if you buy a VP Jr off Ebay with a bad/scratchy pot for next to nothing) though I will say the EV-1 is pretty awesome and worth the cost

I've got way too many EXP pedals now!

Sorry to resurrect a mostly dead thread, but I wanted to ask - can this mod be performed to use this as an expression pedal but still have the tuner out actually output a signal at all times like before the mod?
I have a secondary tuner angled differently mounted near my mfc and want to run from the tuner output to it and use the volume pedal, basically strictly as a volume pedal, but without having to run long leads back and forth from the axe fx/wireless unit.

Either that or maybe there's a routing means I can use like an fx loop style setup that would work for this application, only the volume pedal would be routed via the mfc instead of the axe fx?

Sorry to resurrect a mostly dead thread, but I wanted to ask - can this mod be performed to use this as an expression pedal but still have the tuner out actually output a signal at all times like before the mod?
I have a secondary tuner angled differently mounted near my mfc and want to run from the tuner output to it and use the volume pedal, basically strictly as a volume pedal, but without having to run long leads back and forth from the axe fx/wireless unit.

Either that or maybe there's a routing means I can use like an fx loop style setup that would work for this application, only the volume pedal would be routed via the mfc instead of the axe fx?

Sorry to re-resurrect. No, the tuner out wont have signal in an expression pedal setting.

Anyways, I love this thread. Who bought the pots from alibaba? Perfect or what?

Thread well worth bringing up again, was super simple to do, cost about $5 each in parts, and maybe 20 minutes time. I find the VPJr. to still be the most ideal size and with the perfect travel of any EXP I've owned. I've actually got another one sitting here that I should really get around to modding, just to have yet another.

Of course threads like this pop up, and suddenly all the cheap, scratchy pot ones you could get yesterday for $20 are gone

Of course threads like this pop up, and suddenly all the cheap, scratchy pot ones you could get yesterday for $20 are gone

Lol, I feel that.

Thanks for the reply. I rebuilt both my 6166's yesterday just to see how hard the string is, and I made a hook tool just like the EB video shows and it really was pretty easy.

Lol, I feel that.

Thanks for the reply. I rebuilt both my 6166's yesterday just to see how hard the string is, and I made a hook tool just like the EB video shows and it really was pretty easy.

Same, I had one of those giant paperclips which I unbent and it made it a piece of cake. First ones I tried to do by hand, or with pliers etc and it certainly was frustrating to say the least. The right tool makes a world of difference.

I think there is a real tool that looks like a screw driver but with a little hook on the end you can find at the hardware store which would work even better, but unless your doing a bunch of them probably not worth it lol

Sorry to reopen an old thread.. I bought the tocos pots listed above but the shaft doesn’t look long enough? I haven’t taken it fully apart yet but I’m wondering how did you guys attach the brass pulley as it looks like the shaft won’t reach where the grub screw is?

Back
Top Bottom