U2 Songs of Innocence - Thank You

I thought it was boring and absolutely nothing stood out as different/exciting. Their last great song was 'Magnificent'.

A change is always good. I love the Edge's original tone and his sound has always been legendary, but even he needs to find something different and fresh. His original sounds will always live on, but if he kept using them in new albums then they would die a horrible death of being over used. I love that he is branching out and experimenting, so not just staying in the comfort zone of something that really does work.

A big congrats to FAS on being part of his new journey!!

I like it. I'm not a huge U2 fan and not qualified to review the new album in context of their past stuff, since I haven't listened to most of their past stuff. But this was free, so I listened.

I like it. It's good music, with feeling and soul. In this album alone you can hear there is something special about the combination of these guys making music. Even if you had no idea who they were or how much success they had in the past, the tracks speak for themselves. I don't hear any standout virtuosity or exceptional talent in any one instrument or voice, but I love that it doesn't matter. It's something about the combination. I hear a band that can apply pretty basic skills on typical rockNroll instruments and create fresh new music that stands out, is moving and has real soul. In 2014 no less, when we thought 'it's all been done'.

Yup, I like it.

I like it. I'm not a huge U2 fan and not qualified to review the new album in context of their past stuff, since I haven't listened to most of their past stuff. But this was free, so I listened.

I like it. It's good music, with feeling and soul. In this album alone you can hear there is something special about the combination of these guys making music. Even if you had no idea who they were or how much success they had in the past, the tracks speak for themselves. I don't hear any standout virtuosity or exceptional talent in any one instrument or voice, but I love that it doesn't matter. It's something about the combination. I hear a band that can apply pretty basic skills on typical rockNroll instruments and create fresh new music that stands out, is moving and has real soul. In 2014 no less, when we thought 'it's all been done'.

Yup, I like it.

I'm a huge U2 fan, and you described the band perfectly. None of them are virtuosos, but they don't need to be. Those 4 guys have an incredible musical bond. They truly are more than the sum of the parts. They use space, texture and emotion in their songs, creating soulful experiences for their listeners. And they put on an amazing live show.

My congrats to the Fractal Audio crew. They should be incredibly proud of their accomplishments with this album as well as all the other artists they have worked with. Personally, if I created a musical instrument that Edge ended up using, I would crap my pants. =)

I will have to totally disagree with you. To me it sounds fresh and different. Its them being current. Crap, we should be happy, its got guitar all over it.

Totally agree with you. Fresh and new. Pleasantly surprised by some of the nods to the 80's. Especially like Volcano.

Yup, I like it.

Nicely put.

The opening lick in "This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now" has a real Rolling Stones vibe. I think this track caught my ear the most because it seems it's dripping Axe-Fx. There's a bunch of cool tones all in one song.

U2 has always done a couple of things that have kept them successful and relevant. They surround themselves by the right people and they embrace technology. Sure they latch on to some things that work well and bring those things with them. But they have always been about what is next. It is really no surprise that Edge has chosen to go with Fractal Audio Systems. And its no surprise that it is working well. State of the art gear in the hands of a musician who embraces it... great pairing.
I can't wait to hear the second of the two albums. Very pleased with the blend of styles and sounds on this one.

Scottie, YOU sing WAY better than bono!

U2 has always done a couple of things that have kept them successful and relevant. They surround themselves by the right people and they embrace technology. Sure they latch on to some things that work well and bring those things with them. But they have always been about what is next. It is really no surprise that Edge has chosen to go with Fractal Audio Systems. And its no surprise that it is working well. State of the art gear in the hands of a musician who embraces it... great pairing.
I can't wait to hear the second of the two albums. Very pleased with the blend of styles and sounds on this one.

I think Songs of Innocence is a good album. Is it as good as The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby? Well, no, but few albums have been as amazing as those landmark releases. I'm really enjoying Songs of Innocence. There are some really catchy sing-a-long kind of songs on this album.

Back
Top Bottom