U2 delays...

I've seen a couple of videos (most are made with the Ultra) on youtube , I wondered if the axe-fx standard is able to achieve the U2 delay type of sound? thanks!

Prophetaxxi said:
I've seen a couple of videos (most are made with the Ultra) on youtube , I wondered if the axe-fx standard is able to achieve the U2 delay type of sound? thanks!

I've heard Tedge w/ his standard. I would say the standard does it quite well!

I'm no expert on U2 or dialing in the perfect signature Edge delay sound, but I find that even a mono delay with 1/8 DOT tempo with feedback ~15% and mix at ~35-50% gets you in the neighborhood.

steverosburg said:
I'm no expert on U2 or dialing in the perfect signature Edge delay sound, but I find that even a mono delay with 1/8 DOT tempo with feedback ~15% and mix at ~35-50% gets you in the neighborhood.

Settings for the Edge's delays vary from song to song, but the dotted 1/8th delay is a common setting.

For "Where the Streets Have No Name," I use two mono delay blocks, post-cab. IIRC, one of the blocks is set to tempo 1/8dot with feedback enough to get two solid echos and volume set to around 60%, the other to tempo 1/4 with feedback enough for one echo and volume set to around 50%. Tempo set to 129bpm.

Stereo or dual delays don't sound quite right to me, but I haven't taken time to analyze why.

There's a website out there with a detailed analysis of the Edge's delay settings, just search on "Edge Delay." For "Streets" his analysis of the 1/8dot delay works for me, but his specifications for the second delay (about 520ms) don't sound right to me, at least not on the Axe. I believe the guy was analyzing a live recording, and I tried to mimic the album version, so that may explain the divergence. To me, the 1/4 (something like 472 ms) sounds more correct for the second delay.

That's my two cents.

Check out U2Guitartutorials on Youtube for some excellent descriptions of achieving the Edge's delays on the Axe.

Back
Top Bottom