U2 Cover: Beautiful Day (Axe-Fx II XL, Quantum v1.06)

Sounds great as usual, Michael!

Never too proud to beg, I'll start the preset(s) requests.

Edit: Dealmaker beat me to it!

I'm watching the Paris concert on tv right now so I can not listen to your track with my monitor but for now it sounds great (especially the clean parts).

A few things:
verses: the clean+delay gtr is panned pretty far right, leaving the effected gtr in the left, and louder than you have it. The tremolo chords lasts longer on the original... ie more sustain.
chorus: the main drive sound is less gainy on the original and more low mid focused. Also it's panned left rather than center. I would look into other IRs for that.
bridge: after then 2nd chorus the octave effect still needs more work, but I don't have the foggiest how to make it better. Maybe just dial it back a bit? It seems less wet on in the original.

The clean + delay parts do sound excellent though. And you put a lot of work into it.

A few things:
verses: the clean+delay gtr is panned pretty far right, leaving the effected gtr in the left, and louder than you have it. The tremolo chords lasts longer on the original... ie more sustain.
chorus: the main drive sound is less gainy on the original and more low mid focused. Also it's panned left rather than center. I would look into other IRs for that.
bridge: after then 2nd chorus the octave effect still needs more work, but I don't have the foggiest how to make it better. Maybe just dial it back a bit? It seems less wet on in the original.

The clean + delay parts do sound excellent though. And you put a lot of work into it.

Correct, this is not even close to the original studio version. I don't use the original studio versions as a reference. I'm always aiming for his live tones/presets. This is based off the live versions using IEMs. For example:

Frome 2005:

From 2011:

The clean+delay guitar is not stereo (mono delay and same on both sides), so the panning doesn't matter. It's just a soft 1/4 note delay to bring out some modulation and subtle ethereal tone. The pitch shifted tone is much more graining on live versions per above. Note the tones differ from tour to tour due to recording set up and likely other changes/tweaks Edge makes to his settings and rig.

Last edited:
Ok yeah you're pretty much on the money with those live versions.

Studio versions are harder to replicate with U2 because the guitar isn't always as prominent in the mix. And Edge only plays certain parts on liver versions (many second tracks are dropped). Note in Pride he drops an entire riff that is on the original version. The studio versions are also harder to interpret if the guitar is low in the mix. So I focus on the live versions, and in some cases IEMs are available which help quite a bit when combined with analyzing neck position in live video.

The studio version of the song for BDay is much different. As you pointed out, the pitch shift is much smoother (and much longer). He also used a Marshall for the chorus which he didn't take on the road, and likely used a Line6 effect or amp model for that fuzzy drive.

I panned my parts just to separate the clips a little better from the backtrack. Thx for listening and for your feedback. You are absolutely correct if referencing the studio version.

Studio versions are harder to replicate with U2 because the guitar isn't always as prominent in the mix. And Edge only plays certain parts on liver versions (many second tracks are dropped). Note in Pride he drops an entire riff that is on the original version. The studio versions are also harder to interpret if the guitar is low in the mix. So I focus on the live versions, and in some cases IEMs are available which help quite a bit when combined with analyzing neck position in live video.

The studio version of the song for BDay is much different. As you pointed out, the pitch shift is much smoother (and much longer). He also used a Marshall for the chorus which he didn't take on the road, and likely used a Line6 effect or amp model for that fuzzy drive.

I panned my parts just to separate the clips a little better from the backtrack. Thx for listening and for your feedback. You are absolutely correct if referencing the studio version.

I love your versions of the Live sounds - as speaking as a big U2 and Edge fan - the Live version so most songs are generally my favourites and I prefer them over the studio versions.

I am REALLY struggling with the pitch shift in Beautiful Day - so any chance you can post up your preset??

Thanks!

I love your versions of the Live sounds - as speaking as a big U2 and Edge fan - the Live version so most songs are generally my favourites and I prefer them over the studio versions.

I am REALLY struggling with the pitch shift in Beautiful Day - so any chance you can post up your preset??

Thanks!
I haven't changed my presets for this song much. You should be able to find them here:

http://forum.u2guitartutorials.com/showthread.php?3307-Michaels-Axe-Fx-Presets-(Ultra-amp-II)

M

Michael - great version of the song! Also, for those who don't know (and Michael may be too humble to promote it here or maybe most people already know about it) u2guitartutorials.com had a lot of great U2 information on how to not only play many of U2's songs but a lot of advice on how to get close to the sound and feel of their songs, axe fx patches etc. as well. Great to see you back with the next video on "The Fly"!

Back
Top Bottom