Tyler . . . my mind is blown

Disconnector

Inspired
So . . . .

I was trolling the Wildwood site Monday and made a horrible mistake. I opened the Tyler tab and saw this -
Tyler 1 copy.jpg
Tyler 5 copy.jpg
Tyler 2.jpeg

I've never played a Tyler . . . or even seen one in person. I've read about them forever and I have heard that they have some sort of ineffable awesomeness . . . plus I LOOOOOVVEEEEE the Burning Water finish. I'm a fan of the HSS pickup setup as well (a Super HB and two JTS5500s) plus the switchable mid-boost sounded cool. I've been buying and hotrodding 80's Strats since the '80s and I've heard from several people that I trust that Tyler is the absolute pinnacle of that genre. I've been lusting and GASing for years over these guitars. Sooooo I talked to the wife who was awesomely supportive. Then I called up Lance at Wildwood, checked their return policy, and proceeded to make one of my credit card companies very very happy.

After a pretty dang short wait it arrived.

I've owned piles of PRS guitars (I still have a Custom 24 Floyd, a NF-3, and a DC-3), Fenders (my favorite right now is a '88 Floyd Strat with Anderson pickups, I have an Anderson Classic, Charvels, several Suhr Moderns and Classics, custom shop Jacksons, an Ibanez JEM - basically I'm a super Strat slut. I love them - which makes sense since I was born in 1970. I'm not bragging I just want to put this into context.

I pulled the guitar out of the case and saw that they had set the guitar up for my fave GHS 9s. I plugged it into my AFIII, cranked up the Focals, and hit a big fat AC/DC A chord.

The guitar was perfectly in tune out of the case and I was greeted by a completely pissed off ROAR. This is by far the most angry ADHD monster of a guitar I've ever touched. Just slamming, crunching, MONSTER tone. The only word I really have for it is "pissed off" - and yeah that's two words. It resonates an octave lower than any of my other guitars. Even playing a high note causes the entire guitar to rumble.

The action was a bit higher than I like so I tweaked the truss rod a bit and it dropped to exactly where I like it. The '59 neck and SS frets felt awesome! I then lost 2 hours of my life just jamming on every song that I knew. You all know what I mean right? You go into a fugue state where all that exists are your fingers and your ears. Sonic nirvana.

The combination of the singles coils in the middle and neck and the mid boost makes cleans amazing as well. You can dial up a "schmo" chorus/delayed tone, an almost acoustic tone, a slaming funk sound, U2 arpeggios, and even nice fat jazz tones with a few tweaks of the knobs. This guitar literally does it all.

I'm stunned and amazed. I've sat and played all of the my super-Strat guitars back to back and this one sounds fundamentally different. It has a deep throaty resonance that you can feel through the neck and the body with every note.

I have no idea what dark magic that James Tyler is into - but the man has the recipe for the superior super-Strat. I'm gobsmacked - and yeah I know it's a new toy but I'm telling y'all that this guitar is different.

I'll be keeping this one - and selling of a pile of other guitars that won't get play to buy another one. Maybe a Tuckerberry schmear with a Floyd? We'll see - but in the meantime I'm going to play the frets off of this thing.

EDITED TO ADD: If you have arthritic thumbs like I do, this guitar is magic in another way. There is something about the neck carve that supports the thumb differently - I can play this guitar for hours without pain. I usually get 30 minutes in before my hands crap out but this guitar just plays on for hours. If you have issues with your thumbs look into Tyler!

Last edited:
If I ever get back to Ottawa, pretty sure Lauzon is a dealer and I could actually try one.

Thought it was hardtail for a sec haha.

Thanks for the comments on the new toy! I keep looking at Tylers since I have some friends who swear by them. They live a long way away though, so I haven't tried theirs. I just haven't been able to get past the price so far.

I've played a couple of them in stores. Loved the way they played, but the headstock.....and the cost. :cool:
Congrats on that new guitar. They do feel great.

I love Tyler headstocks. I've never picked up one of those guitars, but I'd love to. Congratulations! It looks cool as hell. That is really cool that it's able to support your thumb so you no longer have to cut off your playing time! May this be the musical conduit you wanted for many years to come.

I seem to have created a bit of a crush on them.. best feeling necks , perfectly set up , fantastic switching options , pickups are great , of all the many many guitars I have played Tyler’s are just the best .. and I love the headstock
Agreed they are on the pricey side nowadays , but quality is spot on , and better value for money to me than a £8k aged Gibson LP for example . Splated Orange is my curent fave .. and cediit to Tyler guys as well coming up with so many great colour schemes and all the switching stuff , I need to stop looking at their instagram nowadays , its expensive !

Haha like that tylerama!.. Had some contact with Rich Renken on some of my stuff , and he was graciously thanking me for putting his kids through college !!.. so maybe a college fund of Tyler’s !
Ok a positive I have not bought another branded guitar for ages , so there is a cash positive , in my warped man maths !

Horses for courses , I struggle with the Suhr / lsl /xotic /anderosn , just too ‘puny’ for my eyes .. but like the say each to their own .. does really show how right fender got it in the first place and how hard it is too do something differant that works well

Back
Top Bottom