Two Stone J35 - picky about cabs but sounds great

wh10

One of the amp models I was most excited about when purchasing the AX8 was the Two Stone J35. I love clean Two Rock tones with their wonderful dynamics.

After trying a few times, I couldn't dial in the Two Stone J35 2 to capture that clean tone. I blamed it on the fact that only the Lead channel was modelled, not the Clean channel.

After spending more time with this amp model, I've discovered the issue is just finding a matching cabinet. This amp is extremely picky about the cabinet. It's opinionated about the frequencies it emits and if the speaker doesn't complement them it will sound bad.

The new F187 4x12 G65 Mix (Cel) cabinet gets closer though it lacks high end. I'm using the OwnHammer 212-GTR MAR-66 G65-OR LG IR from the Multi-Speaker Collection and it's the best I've gotten so far.

Set Input Drive and Overdrive between 2 and 3 and leave Master at 4. You should be able to hear the distinctive chirp attack that this amp has. Combine with a nice reverb and voilà, wonderful cleans!

Make sure to use the Two Stone J35 2 model, which is modelled with the tone stack, and not the Two Stone J35 1, which is meant for lead with the tone stack bypassed.

Who else is using this as a clean amp? Which cabs do you like?

I was messing with that amp sim the other day and totally agree! I didn't have time to mess with it but will do so this afternoon thanks for the tip!

@FractalAudio Thanks for the reply! Would be great to have a Two Rock or similar 2x12 G12 65 cabinet available in the factory bank. Maybe someday?

I did try F020 2x12 Double Amp KSM313 but it doesn't mesh well with the Two Stone J35 amp model.

Is it wrong to ask if you can post the preset? I've been trying to figure out how to get that two rock-y sound and can't seem to get it :rolleyes:

Is it wrong to ask if you can post the preset? I've been trying to figure out how to get that two rock-y sound and can't seem to get it :rolleyes:

Sorry, I can't share the preset because the OwnHammer 212-GTR MAR-66 G65-OR LG IR is not freely redistributable.

Here are the amp block settings:

Amp model: Two Stone J35 2
Input drive: 2.5
Overdrive: 2.5
Bass: 6.5
Mid: 5
Treble: 4.5
Bright Switch: On
Master volume: 5

This is only Day 3 of my Two Rock journey. I'm sure it can be dialled in better. If you find settings you like better, let me know :).

One of the amp models I was most excited about when purchasing the AX8 was the Two Stone J35. I love clean Two Rock tones with their wonderful dynamics.

After trying a few times, I couldn't dial in the Two Stone J35 2 to capture that clean tone. I blamed it on the fact that only the Lead channel was modelled, not the Clean channel.

After spending more time with this amp model, I've discovered the issue is just finding a matching cabinet. This amp is extremely picky about the cabinet. It's opinionated about the frequencies it emits and if the speaker doesn't complement them it will sound bad.

The new F187 4x12 G65 Mix (Cel) cabinet gets closer though it lacks high end. I'm using the OwnHammer 212-GTR MAR-66 G65-OR LG IR from the Multi-Speaker Collection and it's the best I've gotten so far.

Set Input Drive and Overdrive between 2 and 3 and leave Master at 4. You should be able to hear the distinctive chirp attack that this amp has. Combine with a nice reverb and voilà, wonderful cleans!

Make sure to use the Two Stone J35 2 model, which is modelled with the tone stack, and not the Two Stone J35 1, which is meant for lead with the tone stack bypassed.

I’ve found that for clean Dumbly amps, the 2x12 Open back G65 collection from www.celestionplus.com (from the same IR combo pack that the F187 comes from) really nails it especially the 57 mixes and the stereo all mic Room IRs...

My experience the 2x I tried the Two-Rock amp models was I moved on quickly. Nothing I liked at all. HOWEVER, I'm a firm believer that everything on the AX8 can be dialed in to sound great as we have so many parameters/options. Thanks for posting your post as it's very interesting. .. . . .I'm curious if any of you has any OWNHAMMER 1x12 cabs.. 1 marked something like 1_112_T or something like that? IF SO try it with that Two Rock model and see what it sounds like.. .. The reason I'm bringing it up is I bought a used Atomic amplifirebox this past year and the guy had a few extra IR's on it, and 1 was with the Dumble model on there and it kicks ass. I don't have the exact name here with me right now but if someone is interested just let me know and I can let u know. Because it was 1 that was NOT free, I can't just remove it from the AFB and use it for anything (I don't think) OR I would as I have LOVE IT . I assume but maybe I'm wrong that the "T" is for "THIELE"

Eric

Hey so I played around with a few things. I used a factory cab recommended to me by some other guys on another of my threads and tweaked things till it got closer to the sound I was looking for.

I'm by no means any authority on this BUT I figured I'd share with you fellow two rock/dumble-tone searchy people to see what else we could come up with. I also tweaked the EQ on the amp a bit and added a very light chorus-y tone to give a slightly different sound.

Enjoy, maybe? :D

Note: I also had to crank the volume up a lot on the settings because it sounded really soft for some reason (I might've missed something)

Attachments

• TWO STONE J35.syx
    12.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Enjoy, maybe? :D

Thanks for sharing!

I've uploaded a tweaked version that has more high end and upper mids with my HSS pickups. It uses F187 4x12 G65 Mix (Cel).

Try the Zen Master drive I added to the Drive 1 Y state. It changes the character and gives a little breakup.

Attachments

• TWO STONE J35 WH10.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 45
Here is a quick demo of the preset I just posted:
https://clyp.it/o3akq0zq

The demo has 3 guitar parts:
1. Rhythm guitar (guitar volume knob rolled off)
2. Clean lead (guitar volume knob high)
3. Zen Master lead (Drive Y enabled)

The amp has too much dynamic range on Master 4, Input Drive 3, Overdrive 2.5. The transients are a bit much and a compressor would help. I think increasing Master and lowering Input Drive could also help.

Glad you guys are working this. I've tried in the past and couldn't get quite where I wanted with this amp. When it breaks up or moves into real distortion, it sounds almost like a fuzz to me. Is that just how this amp is? As you can tell- I've never touched a real one... Probably makes it harder for me to get "where I want" if I really don't know where that is...
But I WANT to like it!
I'll try out your presets at home this week and see if they make more sense to my ears than what I dialed in.

My presets are not normally 'clean', but have a hint of growl. I have found that the 4X12 cabs reflect the tones the best. There is a tough balance sometimes of how to get that full clean tone without too much edge/breakup with those models, similar to what Cliff mentioned (Dumbles in general).

Here's a clip of an old recording I did for what I go for, nowadays less dirty

When it breaks up or moves into real distortion, it sounds almost like a fuzz to me. Is that just how this amp is?

I use the Two Stone J35 1 for dirtier tones. No need to touch the EQ, just adjust the gain to the amount you like. Using the guitar's volume knob you can go from almost clean blues rhythm guitar to almost plexi territory.

Back
Top Bottom