Two patches converted from the Digitech GSP-2101

Heheh, and cool. I may do a couple patches as well, but first I gotta to get all of my custom ones in

MIDI is semi working. I can upload cabs and make changes via the computer. I'm pretty sure Axe-Edit is to blame for all the problems, though

Well, if you can do that then it's working. What are you trying to do that isn't working? Maybe I can tell you how to do it.

I hope so

1. Cab uploads freeze at 100% and have to be cancelled, even though they transfer correctly[/*:m:1azvyoie]
  2. I cannot import the current present list[/*:m:1azvyoie]
  3. After changing presets twice in Axe-Edit, it no longer correctly changes on screen or on the Axe-Fx and must be restarted[/*:m:1azvyoie]
  4. MIDI tests never work and it always says "check MIDI settings"[/*:m:1azvyoie]

Try this...

Turn your Axe off. Plug the cables in. I don't know if you have anything else in the midi loop, but there shouldn't be. If thee is remove it and connect the Axe directly.
Have you absolutely confirmed that both cables are working properly and fully? Do you have other cables you can try?

Run Axe Edit
Click Source and select Axe-Fx
Click Recall and select Refresh from Hardware. It should ask you if you want to back up the banks while you're at it. Go ahead and do it. It'll take a while, but it'll be a good test run.

Now, something to note. When I uploaded my user cabs, I had a bitch of a time too. That preset manager in Axe Edit is a bit funky about that. Dunno if it's a bug or what.

If I want to load something into the Axe I set the source as a preset folder, select the patch I want to edit or upload to the Axe. Click the 123 box next to the name, select bank A and click on the preset you want to upload so it's showing in the editor.

Click Preset Mgr. You should see the patches from the folder on the left. Drag the preset down to whatever number patch you want to write it to. Right click on it and click save to source, but first make sure your Axe is selected as the source in the right side.

As for the cab thing, dunno what the problem is there but as long as you can get them uploaded it's cool.

Honestly, it sounds like a midi timing issue that's causing your problem. Either that or a bad cable. Have you updated your midi drivers to the latest version and tried reinstalling the controller?

Other than that, I don't know what else I can tell you. It's not working on two different computers. You could try contacting Fractal Support and see if they have any suggestion. There's a very slight chance it could be the midi ports on your axe that have a problem, but I find that highly unlikely. Still, the slimest of chances doesn't mean it's not possible.

Good luck with it man. Let me know how it goes.

Very cool to hear about someone else with a 2101. Used one for years as an fx unit with various amps - bought it brand new when they came out! It was the original Axe-FX - with absolutely none of the ease of programming that the Axe has going for it. The preamps were passable, but never really used them - also nothing like the AFX. I posted this a long time ago, but, any MIDI controller that can control the Digitech units can pass programmable MIDI commands through and control the Axe perfectly. I have a Johnson J12 (Johnson was just Digitech stuff in head/combo form) and it works the Axe perfectly - two expression pedals, made of metal, and programmable buttons. Downside is you must have a Digitech unit to power the foot board. For that reason, and to save the two spaces needed to hold the 2101, I went to another controller, but it does work great. I always meant to try to find a single rack space Digitech unit just for a pass through in order to use the J12, but...

I use a Behringer FCB1010 foot controller with the Uno firmware chip for my controller. Can't beat the value. Stomp box mode, 2 pedals and dead easy to use with the Axe. Worked great with my 2101 too.

You're right too. The Axe is basically the modern 2101. There was nothing like the 2101 back in the day, or since, except for the Axe. The 2101 was and is still an amazing unit and completely versatile. It was just programming the algorithms that utterly sucked. The Axe is stupid simple for setting up patches. I still have and will always have my 2101. I've never stopped loving it. It's been a blast converting the patches over to the Axe. It's been a real learning experience. I'm going to maybe convert a few more, but I'm not sure yet. I still need to go through them and see what's left that I want to convert. When I'm done I'm going to just post them all as one big zip file and people can pick and choose what they like / want.

I'm still trying to figure out why Digitech has released crap ever since the 2101. That company has gone to hell big time.

My Axe-Edit sync'ing still isn't working with the Axe-Fx and I've tried all of the above mentioned suggestions. Refreshing from hardware didn't do anything :?

Since Axe-Edit is still in beta and Fractal doesn't yet support it, I doubt they'd help me. And this same cable works perfectly with the 2101.

I guess I'll just have to wait until the final version is released

Axe Edit works great man. I have no problems with it. Something else is going on. It might be the midi ports on your Axe that are the problem, or some setting inside. Try going into the utility menu and resetting the system parameters and see if that helps. If not, contact Fractal. I'm sure they'll do what they can to help you out. If it is a hardware problem, they'll take care of it.

I've uploaded all my converted 2101 patches in a new post. There's 10 of them in a zip file including the 4 I already posted. So if you want 'em, you can just grab the zip and you'll have all of them. I think I'm done doing conversions, at least for now. :)

Back
Top Bottom