Twang/warmth/mids/sizzle/fuzz/hot virtual tubes! Some country-rock-stoner mid-gain. OH BOG

Love the production on your clips, would really like to know how you process your tracks

Thanks!
I do many things of course.
For most of my processing I use Slate Digital plug-ins.
Are there any specific things you'd like to know?
I guess one of the important aspects of how I mix is the 'top-down' method.
So I basically start with processing on my mix bus. A lot of that has to do with virtual analog summing. Some high shelfs and bus compression etc.
I also do this with the drum bus.

I love mid-gain sound clips and wish there were a lot more! Great production and kudos for matching up the amp models and OH IRs :) Just curious if you used the JTV-59 models for any of these tones or used the guitar's magnetic pickups?

Thanks!
The left main guitar is the Tele sim.
The right main guitar is a LP junior with P90's.
The intro and solos were the magnetic pick-ups.

As always, just phenomenal playing and production! I don't ask for patches often, but would love to take a look at the SM Box patch because it sounds so tasty! Love that tone! Yes I know tone is in the hands too, so lemme borrow your fingers while you're at it haha.

As always, just phenomenal playing and production! I don't ask for patches often, but would love to take a look at the SM Box patch because it sounds so tasty! Love that tone! Yes I know tone is in the hands too, so lemme borrow your fingers while you're at it haha.
Thanks Chris!
I'll post it soon for ya!

Thanks!
I do many things of course.
For most of my processing I use Slate Digital plug-ins.
Are there any specific things you'd like to know?
I guess one of the important aspects of how I mix is the 'top-down' method.
So I basically start with processing on my mix bus. A lot of that has to do with virtual analog summing. Some high shelfs and bus compression etc.
I also do this with the drum bus.

Everything really, I'd love to know the whole process. I guess most in particular what you do for your drum processing,

Everything really, I'd love to know the whole process. I guess most in particular what you do for your drum processing,
Well for sampled drums as well as real drums it's of course always important to use the best sounding drums you can.
In this case the Steven Slate Drums Blackbird expansion was a perfect fit for a few reasons.
I always start with balancing the samples out in the drum sampler.
Then I add vcc and vtm to the single drum tracks.
Usually I route all the Snare mics/tracks to one track (bottom and top mics), all kick mics to one track, all toms to one track (this doesn't always work), all cymbals and OH mics to one track, all room mics to one track etc and send those to one bus, the drum bus.
I then start with processing on the drum bus, usually some slight eq. Sometimes a mid cut if the while mix sounds too boxy. Sometimes a presence or high boost or a low boost if it needs some more mass.
I tend to only use the Slate Digital eq's.
I then also add some slight parallel compression with the FG-76, so with the mix knob very low.
This adds some life and I always recommend trying parallel compression to the drum bus.
There are a few ways to go about this and there are many tutorials about this. Some call this New York compression.
I then also add FG-Grey which is basically an SSL bus comp from Slate.
This one has the mix knob set to 100%.
I only go for about 1 db's of gain reduction but it glues the drums together quite nicely.
I especially like what this does to the kick.
Keep in mind that at this stage I also have some processing going on on the master fader, also vcc, vtm, vbc, revival and some lift.
This also shapes the sound a little.

Now when I get the drums as good as I can with just the busses I go to the single tracks to do more eq.
For the shells I usually cut some mids to reduce boxyness, boost some upper mids/highs for presence and attack and usually some lows as well.
This obviously depends on the source.
Sampled drums often don't need a lot of compression as well as eq because they tend to be pre-processed.
Still, a lot of samples take processing very well.

With real drums there is usually more processing required.
For a while now I've also started adding a little bit of reverb to the Snare and Toms in general.

Hope this helps a little.
Let me know if you want to know more :).

What is up my friends?
I like to do a lot of heavy music as some of you probably know.
Sometimes creating something like this is a good antidote to all the bone crushing!
Also, I don't see/hear clips often enough with warm and organic midrangey mid-gain type tones so this was a no brainer!
This clip is also a bit for yek because I know he is addicted to midrange!

The Ownhammer cabs I used are just PERFECT for warm midrangey type tones.
The intro and the left side have the Bogner 2x12 OS with V30's going on. (intro AC30, riff Atomica high)
The right side has the Bogner 4x12 with V30's going on. (JCM800).
For the leads I also used the 4x12 (SM box amp model with the PI fuzz at the end).

I'm definitely no country expert so it's probably not your traditional country.
There is some Aerosmith sauce in the first solo, gotta love Joe Perry!
Also the end seems a bit more stoner ish and the intro maybe a little bit Zep-ish?

I used my JTV-59 for all the tones.
I really hope you enjoy this one, if you have any questions just let me know and I'll answer them asap.

Great job!! Just curious, are you playing or programming the drums?? They sound so natural and good!

Back
Top Bottom