Tutorial Video on Cab Lab and Speaker Resonance Frequency

If you have no extra IR's from Fractal, Own Hammer, Red Wire or other, you are limited in what you can do with the capabilities of Cab Lab. My advice, IMHO, on dialing in the Low Resonance Frequency stand true with the stock IR's too.

Hi Scott,

2 quick questions concerning Low Resonance Frequency (thanks so much for the videos BTW--awesome)

1. When using a power amp and reals cabs….should I determine the LRF for my "real" cabs and then apply that value to all amps used within the Axe?
2. When using my FRFR (2 x CLR active cabs) do I also still have to change the LRF in the amp blocks depending on which cab blocks I am using?

Thanks,
D

Hey Scott, great video, great tones. Sorry if I missed it, but where did you get those EV IRs for that clean tone? They sound great.

Also wanted to let you know I tried adjusting the low resonant frequency in my presets and my tones sounded and felt clearly better on my gig last night, especially my clean tone. Big help. Thank you!! :)

Thanks guys. I enjoy doing these videos because they help guys have more fun and get a hold of the box and make it work for them instead of letting the box make them work around it. Getting a grip on this monster is very good juju - it's like driving a finely tweaked world class super-car once you get your hands around it.

Those EV IR's are from the Mix Collection available from Own Hammer.

Reactions: sam
Hi Scott,

2 quick questions concerning Low Resonance Frequency (thanks so much for the videos BTW--awesome)

1. When using a power amp and reals cabs….should I determine the LRF for my cabs and then apply that value to all amps used within the Axe?
2. When using my FRFR (2 x CLR active cabs) do I also still have to change the LRF in the amp blocks depending on which cab blocks I am using?

Thanks,
D

1. Yes, if you use the power amp modeling. If you can't measure it with the proper measurement instruments; trust your ear. It is the BIGGEST (IMHO) thing about 'matching' your existing rig and cab to the Axe-FX. Far too many guys just skip it for various reasons, but it is essential IMHO.

2. Yes. Same reasons as above.

I call it the 'drop in' aka 'ohhh, right there... that's it!' when you dial it in. It's feel, it's all about feel.

100% IMHO, and unapologetic about it. It's as obvious as the nose on your face once you get it right.

For more detail on this: AMP (block) - Axe-Fx II Wiki

1. Yes, if you use the power amp modeling. If you can't measure it with the proper measurement instruments; trust your ear. It is the BIGGEST (IMHO) thing about 'matching' your existing rig and cab to the Axe-FX. Far too many guys just skip it for various reasons, but it is essential IMHO.

2. Yes. Same reasons as above.

I call it the 'drop in' aka 'ohhh, right there... that's it!' when you dial it in. It's feel, it's all about feel.

100% IMHO, and unapologetic about it. It's as obvious as the nose on your face once you get it right.

For more detail on this: AMP (block) - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Excellent, thanks! :)

Yeah, it's like 'Oh that sounds good.....what is he saying?.....[cranks volume] oh, okay......[you play] OH shit that's loud. Repeat see-saw......

Anyways, fuck me that Double Verb tone progression was cool, and ended up really sweet. Talk about tone response.

how would one go about making an IR of my eq blocks, and then using cablab to mix those eq settings and a rediwrez cab into a single IR
i use an axe fx ultra, probably makes it slightly harder..

how would one go about making an IR of my eq blocks, and then using cablab to mix those eq settings and a rediwrez cab into a single IR
i use an axe fx ultra, probably makes it slightly harder..

I am not sure Cab Lab supports the Gen 1 products at this point.

You can do what you want, but it is involved. You need to hook up to a DAW and send a ping through your Axe-FX with everything but what you want to convert bypassed; capture that, save it as a wav. and use a conversion app to turn it into a Gen 1 format syx file and send it over to the Ultra as a User Cab.

Back
Top Bottom