Tutorial Video on Cab Lab and Speaker Resonance Frequency

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor

Quick Tutorial on how I use the Fractal Audio CabLab App to mix up speaker cab IR's using Own Hammer IR's and get them into the Axe-FX II. Then I highlight part of my process to dial in the Low Frequency Resonance of the speaker in the Amp to best match it.

Feel free to comment, ask questions or observations.

Have fun!

Great video Scott! Quick question: I noticed when messing around with CabLab last night that if my OH cabs were at the default db that I was clipping a bit so I dropped them to get my mix. Does that negatively impact the tone? Should I just change the master volume instead in the amp block?

Great video Scott! Quick question: I noticed when messing around with CabLab last night that if my OH cabs were at the default db that I was clipping a bit so I dropped them to get my mix. Does that negatively impact the tone? Should I just change the master volume instead in the amp block?

It is overall volume not the cabs. The cabs are normalized however two in parallel can cause a big volume boost. It will not harm your tone to reduce it there. I would just turn down the amp level (not master volume). turning the master volume of the amp block up or down will likely have a significant effect on your tone.

Thanks a lot for your video, Scott! While checking out Cab Lab, I noticed, that i get "This IR is corrupt" with all the older OH stuff.
Any idea, why this is happening?

Thanks a lot for your video, Scott! While checking out Cab Lab, I noticed, that i get "This IR is corrupt" with all the older OH stuff.
Any idea, why this is happening?

I do not. I have not run across that; but my focus has been primarily on the current generation of IR's from Fractal and Own Hammer which I prefer. I'll check out the first gen IR's and see if I hit the same problems.

Excellent! You're making me drool in the absence of my Axe. :D The possibilities of tonematches along with cab emulations are particularly excellent.

Just a quick tip (not a criticism, I hasten to add as I wouldn't have the patience to put together vids), but could you compress your vocal mic a wee bit to bring the level up? I'm straining to hear certain syllables with my old git ears.

Excellent! You're making me drool in the absence of my Axe. :D The possibilities of tonematches along with cab emulations are particularly excellent.

Just a quick tip (not a criticism, I hasten to add as I wouldn't have the patience to put together vids), but could you compress your vocal mic a wee bit to bring the level up? I'm straining to hear certain syllables with my old git ears.

Yea, I'll squash the piss out of the next ones. Sorry about that.

Back
Top Bottom