Turning a Crybaby into an expression pedal - Problems

I'm gonna do this with a Dunlop wah shell that is switchless.....meaning it has a spring action on is that returns the heel back to down once your foot is off the pedal....will this cause problems or be a good thing with regard to the auto engage/auto off function of the AXE?

I think it would help. When you step off the pedal, it's going to turn off if you use autoengage. If you don't like it, you could probably remove the spring.

D

Still haven't had a chance to buy the pot yet...

Hey DK - how well does your pseudo-switch activation work?

Ben J said:
Still haven't had a chance to buy the pot yet...

Hey DK - how well does your pseudo-switch activation work?

I haven't had the time to try it. I misunderstood the directions for it though, so I don't think it will work as I intended. I am considering reversing the wiring on the pot so it works backwards, and then inverting the slope of the frequency controller and setting the disengage to fast. I don't know for sure, but I think that might work. It will just take me a few minutes to find out, but I've been pretty busy the last few days.

D

I picked up what looks like to be the same POT at RS and I have a question:

How do I get the gear from the original POT to stay on the RS POT?

The original has a small pin through it. I don't have a drill press so I can't drill that small hole into this round shaft. I know I could glue it but if I need to change pot's, that will be a problem. It's not a snug fi at al, either.

I didn't have that problem. I actually had to drill the pinion gear out to make it fit on the RS pot. My crybaby didn't have a pin in it as I remember. I think there was some sort of retainer ring on it, but the fit was so tight that I didn't bother reinstalling it. You either have a pinion gear with a larger hole than I did or an RS pot with a smaller shaft diameter.

D

I'll probably have to glue it then.

I am going to need to pick up another dremel tool. The cheap one I bought for this project won't grind away enough material from the stamping to allow for a decent thread engagement.

I've read on this thread (I think) about chopping the original off and adding a new bracket to install the pot on. I don't see how that would be a simple task.

I used a 300 series Dremel I got at Target for $50 (one of the best purchases I've ever made). It took me about 15-20 minutes to get everything ground down to fit properly. Given no more time than it took me to get a good fit, I can't imagine chopping and replacing the bracket.

Stick with it! I imagine the tolerances between crybabys and Radioshack parts vary quite a bit, so there are bound to be different ways you have to approach this stuff depending on what parts are in front of you. Even though it can be a bit frustrating at times, you usually learn something from it and you get a great finished product for very little cash.

I used this pedal a lot at two gigs this weekend, and I can't believe how well it works. Between the pedal and Scott's sweep settings, it's like I've got a fabulous vintage wah in my rig. I got several compliments on it this weekend. I'm not even a wah guy, but since I got this pedal running and tried Scott's sweep settings, I've found myself stepping on it more than I thought I would.

D

just a quick note about the bracket in case anyone is interested. As long as you are not using a pot with a really short shaft, it's not necessary to cut off the existing mounting lugs (which are usually cast with the chassis depending on what make you are using). You can just put a new bracket alongside and pass the shaft of the pot through the existing lugs. It's pretty easy. Sorry for the poor quality pic. Only have time to take a quick snap with the phone. I don't normally need these brackets for the Mission pedals since I use a pot that's designed to fit to the existing mountings but I make these brackets up for when I do mods and such for people. I put an RS pot in the bracket for the pic so you can see how it works. You can make them yourself or If anyone ever wants such a bracket, just PM me and I'll send them one with a set of screws and washers for a couple of bucks. James.

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 310
I'd like to thank James for, first of all, offering to provide the bracket and second, after recieving it, helping me to install it and get everything working.

I had to modify the bracket slightly becuase the span was a little wider on my Dunlop. James took the time to look at a Dunlop at his place, came up with the fix, provided me with the how to and wala!

If anybody is considering doing this to your old crybaby, I recommend you pick up this bracket from James.

Thanks again james! :D

You are very welcome. So glad it worked out. My next Mission project is to provide an expression pedal kit for people who like to do their own thing. I think I'll do a complete kit that includes a painted shell and all the parts required to build your own version of a Mission pedal, and probably a component only kit for people who already have an old wah pedal they want to use. What do you guys think? James.

lebihanj said:
You are very welcome. So glad it worked out. My next Mission project is to provide an expression pedal kit for people who like to do their own thing. I think I'll do a complete kit that includes a painted shell and all the parts required to build your own version of a Mission pedal, and probably a component only kit for people who already have an old wah pedal they want to use. What do you guys think? James.

I think that's a great idea!

Warrior said:
I think that's a great idea!

A kit would be awesome. I've got an old Crybaby that I paid next to nothing for that needs a complete gutting. I was thinking of converting it to an expression pedal and a conversion kit would be awesome! :cool:

I'm not saying you guys shouldn't buy some sort of kit if that's what you want, but this project cost $3 and 20 minutes of your time. Do you really need a kit to do that?

Mine took an hour because I had to figure out how to make it work, but now that I figured it out and posted it, all you need to do is copy it. Buy a kit if you want, but I don't see how it's necessary.

I've used the modded crybaby now at least two gigs a week (usually 3-4) since this was originally posted, and it's worked flawlessly.

D

dk_ace said:
I'm not saying you guys shouldn't buy some sort of kit if that's what you want, but this project cost $3 and 20 minutes of your time. Do you really need a kit to do that?

Mine took an hour because I had to figure out how to make it work, but now that I figured it out and posted it, all you need to do is copy it. Buy a kit if you want, but I don't see how it's necessary.

I've used the modded crybaby now at least two gigs a week (usually 3-4) since this was originally posted, and it's worked flawlessly.

D

For some it makes what seemed to be an impossible task, possible. Like drywall. Some people wouldn't have the slightest idea how to reapair a hole in their wall while others could drywall, tape and mud a room in a day.

For others, it makes it very convenient and a joy instead of a hastle because you perhaps don't have the time to gather up the parts or think it through. Ever buy instant oatmeal in packages that have the oats, brown sugar and maple already to mix with water and eat? Why not gather all the ingredients and mix it yourself for a fraction of the cost? Convenience.

Back
Top Bottom